'Skipping' runs - Koula Garrick Saab and others

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

max

Ok I'm not a former player just an observer of the game before I might be howled down (do your best).

The skipping while you are carrying the ball up to me infuriates the hell out of me. It never seems to help you break the line, result in a tackle bust . To me it stops your momentum. Is it a trained thing going on here?

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
I feel it's more to get a guide on the defenders reaction and who comes in, rushes up and gives a tad of time to find the Best option of where to run, or also buy a bit of time to link up with a team mate who maybe coming back on side or be a distance away.
Also I think in some cases, its just like a habit that players have developed from earlier days.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Saab was just lost out there in the wet at times. Had some baby giraffe moments but overall he seems to be progressing generally as a wingman

Will probably need to trade some speed for bulk as we just dont open up the field for him to use his pace often enough, so he-is inevitably judged on his ability to ruck it out and contest the odd bomb

NYEagle

Bencher
I think they do that to avoid getting hurt.

The players move so fast and they are so strong you just look at hard straight runners like Brown and you wince every time at the point of contact.

I worry more when player show a lack commitment and/or don’t put their bodies on the line at crucial moments. I can’t say Garrick falls under that category but Saab avoids hard contact and Koula is about 50-50.

NYEagle

Rafferty

Mug punter
Don’t know why they skip, maybe they don’t either, but here’s my 20 cents worth on these 3 guys, someone should pull Tolu aside and tell him his not a 105kg battering ram, he has speed and should use his footwork, look to run lines, play under occasionally, step and look to play between defenders, his killing himself for no real advantage just bashing it up. I admire his heart and would like to see some of his team mates run with the same purpose, he may be better suited on the wing, I’m a little disappointed his experiment at FB was cut short, think that’s where we would of seen his best footy, his one shot probably yielded his best performance, for mine his to small to be effective in the centres.

Saab seems to have regressed a little, he needs a confidence boost, his a confidence type player, also seems to have lost his ability to get going, probably should work on his sprint starts as much as adding some more muscle, his all top gear and needs to work hard on getting off the mark. I’d also like to see him back himself when a half chance presents, it seems like his never willing to take the moment on, not pulling his game apart as I think his come a long way over the last couple of seasons, his hit ups have improved greatly, but theres still plenty to work on, maybe a stint in Reggie’s when Tom comes back and move Tolu out, TT2 back into the three quarter line, his a bigger body and can handle the physicality a lot better than Tolu.. TT2 has become a real asset to the side and should certainly shift in, the speed switch makes good sense also.

Garrick is a hard one, he wants to play centre, but like others, he was a first class winger and hasn’t adapted as well at centre, thing is, it weakened the side to accomodate his wish, time to seriously think about the move back to the wing, had he of stayed on the wing and continued his trajectory he may of been playing origin this year instead of Lomax, doubt he’ll ever play rep footy as a three quarter, also has to come down to what’s best for the team, Seibs!. The 2 TT’s would be a very formidable three quarter line, weigh up Tolu and Gaz v The 2 TT’s, it’s a no brainer, especially given we have good potential options for FB.

It’s a tough one as we have some quality backs, while lacking the forwards to set the platform for them, with Turbo coming back, will be interesting to see what transpires, how Seibs goes about it, personally I would like to see Turbo into the three quarter line, his a big body and can play there without a problem, he hits it up like a front rower anyway and can ball play perfectly, also a tough one with Lehi now, he has done well, but he probably leaves us a little short of a running game from 1, I would of liked to see Tolu get this time at FB to see how he and the side went, with both Koula and Lehi in the side we come up a little lite, especially coming out of our own end.

Hard to see the team as I would have liked it, given Tolu didn’t get a run at FB, Lehi has done the job and has upside. But I would like to see 1 Tolu 2 Saab 3 TT2 4 TT 5 Garrick. I also wouldn’t mind if Lehi stayed at 1 and Tolu was tried on Saabs wing, if Saabs form continues trending. I suspect Turbo will improve Saabs game regardless where he plays so either way I don’t mind Saab staying when Turbo returns and judging it from there. Lehi’s time will come.

Finally, no way can we drop Talau he has become one of our best at present, his form is red hot and while he is trending up it would be dumb as all hell to leave him out, the TT’s are our best 3,4 option by a country mile, apologies for the rant.

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Saab was just lost out there in the wet at times. Had some baby giraffe moments but overall he seems to be progressing generally as a wingman
Saab had a couple of moments where he was forced to run backwards before turning around, and he looked ridiculously uncomfortable doing it. Not sure if it's some sort of injury or a fear of injury, but it was very odd.

Lloyd

Saab had a couple of moments where he was forced to run backwards before turning around, and he looked ridiculously uncomfortable doing it. Not sure if it's some sort of injury or a fear of injury, but it was very odd.
I am not sure on this but I thought I saw him limping at times against the dragons. His knee is strapped and seems to be bothering him.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Nah...

they've just watched some old time footy and seen the glorious goose-step, but just don't know to do it.

It's only the old-timers like me that make it a thing of grace and beauty.

Keep trying it though, young'uns, you'll get there!

(lulz)

BirdMan4ever

Reserve Grader
Saab has not grown as an NRL player, speed is uselss if you dont get good ball, his general awareness is a major concern. makes no yardage coming out of the 20 and has lost pace. he has been cuaght by many defenders of late.

JenEagle

Bencher
Saab has not grown as an NRL player, speed is uselss if you dont get good ball, his general awareness is a major concern. makes no yardage coming out of the 20 and has lost pace. he has been cuaght by many defenders of late.
He had that grade 2 hamstring injury in round one. That may have impacted his pace this year. He also had a knee reconstruction two years ago which I thought would have hampered his pace but didnt last year. This will be interesting to watch as he gets older as he is now signed until 2029.

XV-1

First Grader
None of these 3 players have a sidestep, so rely on swerving and pace to get past their opposites.
Pity, as a good sidestep is very valuable in beating players.

I wish Koula would run some different angles so he doesn't get creamed all the time.
Garrick runs different angles every now and then and invariably breaks the first tackle.

BirdMan4ever

Reserve Grader
He had that grade 2 hamstring injury in round one. That may have impacted his pace this year. He also had a knee reconstruction two years ago which I thought would have hampered his pace but didnt last year. This will be interesting to watch as he gets older as he is now signed until 2029.
its tough for these players , however look at the injuries to Ryan Papa, he is still all heart and soul, good players find a way to make up the deficicencies

JakeyB789

Reserve Grader
Our backline certainly seems out of whack at the moment which is frustrating given it should be one of our main strengths, as we all know our forward pack isn't too highly regarded

Surprised more people are not critical of Brooks for failing to unlock Koula, Brooks regularly runs him out of space and rarely gives him early ball, instead hitting Burbo to get whacked while running the same line over and over again or just taking it down himself. Would love to see Koula back out on right and developing a combination with Haumole which we've seen glimpses of, instead we have a winger out in the centres over there who is learning to play the position and failing at doing so

I do think Saab has made some good steps to improve the toughness in his game but it's not something he'll ever be known for. Tom seems to be the only player who knows how to use him so on the regular occurrence he's not there, there isn't a lot of use for Saab given we are rarely breaking the line

The clear answer is to have Garrick back on the left wing with Talau his centre, and Koula with Saab on the right, but we have a coach that thinks going into a game without a halfback is a good idea so unfortunately the answer is never that simple

Brookie Bob

"I come back to you now at the turn of the tide"
We shall call them all..............Skippy

XV-1

First Grader
Our backline certainly seems out of whack at the moment which is frustrating given it should be one of our main strengths, as we all know our forward pack isn't too highly regarded

Surprised more people are not critical of Brooks for failing to unlock Koula, Brooks regularly runs him out of space and rarely gives him early ball, instead hitting Burbo to get whacked while running the same line over and over again or just taking it down himself. Would love to see Koula back out on right and developing a combination with Haumole which we've seen glimpses of, instead we have a winger out in the centres over there who is learning to play the position and failing at doing so

I do think Saab has made some good steps to improve the toughness in his game but it's not something he'll ever be known for. Tom seems to be the only player who knows how to use him so on the regular occurrence he's not there, there isn't a lot of use for Saab given we are rarely breaking the line

The clear answer is to have Garrick back on the left wing with Talau his centre, and Koula with Saab on the right, but we have a coach that thinks going into a game without a halfback is a good idea so unfortunately the answer is never that simple

This all goes down to coaching and game plans.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18