Silvertail's team of the half Century ... Hooker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who was our best hooker from 1970 - 2020 ...

• Fred Jones

• Max Krilich

• Matt Ballin

• Jim Sedaris

• Ray Brown

• Geoff Toovey

• Michael Monaghan

• Api Koroisau

• Manese Fainu

• Mal Cochrane

Results are only viewable after voting.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Talk in a recent thread about who was our best fullback got me to thinking would a team chosen by fans, differ from a team chosen by experts and "sports Journo's" ...

So as a bit of fun .. and to stimulate debate .. each week, on a monday, I will post a poll in each position for the Silvertail's to have their say ..

Only players of the past 50 years .. (1970 to 2020) ... are eligible, as memories are fading, and a lot of younger members would not have seen footage before video in the 70's ...

As you can see, we have started with Hooker ... Longevity and number of years played not important ... vote away ...

PSS .. If I have omitted anyone, that you think is a contender .... please let me know ..

C’mon Woodsie there are only 2 contenders and you know it.

So, I was wise not to include Lewis Brown? ... the fun will start we we get on to Props, Centres, half's, 5/8th's, 2nd rower's, and wingers .. fullback might be a 3 horse race ...

Can't recall Jones, but heard good things and with that head, just looks tough....Krillich was a great player and I personally put him on the Top shelf, with Ballin also up there (very underrated imo)....Tooves I can't really rate at 9 (I know he played there), but I rate him as a halfback....Fainu has the full skill set to be the best of the lot in the modern game, but to be fair to the legends on this list, hardly deserves a look in at this stage.

I never saw Krillich, so can’t comment on him. So my vote has to go to “The Plucky Little Colt from the Bobby Fulton Stable” (12th Man reference for the uneducated folk). Ballin a close second.

Hard to compare different eras especially with a position like hooker as the role has changed markedly over those 50 years. But Thrower was a standout in his position to the point of Captaining the Kangaroos so he gets the nod for mine. But Cochrane was also very handy in his day and a little under rated.

Can't recall Jones, but heard good things and with that head, just looks tough....Krillich was a great player and I personally put him on the Top shelf, with Ballin also up there (very underrated imo)....Tooves I can't really rate at 9 (I know he played there), but I rate him as a halfback....Fainu has the full skill set to be the best of the lot in the modern game, but to be fair to the legends on this list, hardly deserves a look in at this stage.
Freddie Jones was a bloody good hooker, (we've had our fair share over the years) could drink like a fish and at one time I believe he had a reputation as a pretty fair baby juggler

Actually a terrific group of hookers on the list there and all had some great attributes so Manly was certainly blessed there . Freddy Jones must have been a bloody tough nut as well as a pretty fair footy player , and also playing in an era where some extra rough and tough matches were not that not uncommon . Scored the i st try [ well the ref thought so ] in Manly 's i st premiership win and threw that vital inside pass for Bobby Fulton to weave his magic in premiership 2 . Not in the high profile group but will always have a high regard for local junior Dave O " Donnell from the early - mid 90 's , always reliable and not a bad footy player as well . Wonder if his son is still in the Manly junior system . Max Krilich was still the pick i think and great club man [ and an understudy for Freddy for quite a few seasons ]

Gray was essentially bought in as a prop recruit but certainly a pretty handy hooker as well on occasions and could be wrong but think that he only played one full season at Manly in 78 . Then gave the game away from a bad back , may have played a bit in 79 but can not recall it

There's some top players on the list (and others not on the list!) but it's a no-brainer really, has to be Max.
Having said that, we had one hooker whose record exceeds Max's...

There's some top players on the list (and others not on the list!) but it's a no-brainer really, has to be Max.
Is that the hooker and Rep player Schubert in Manly 's earlier years . Recall reading about him on a few occasions and his notable footy career at Manly .

Gray was essentially bought in as a prop recruit but certainly a pretty handy hooker as well on occasions and could be wrong but think that he only played one full season at Manly in 78 . Then gave the game away from a bad back , may have played a bit in 79 but can not recall it

Is it Ballin for winning (2) - 2008 and 2011, or Ballin for playing without missing a game ?
Total guessing for fun here....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4