Silvertail's team of the half Century ... 2nd Row

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who are your 2nd row of the past 50 years ?

• Terry Randall

Votes: 35 58.3%
  • Steve Menzies

Votes: 54 90.0%
  • Ben Kennedy

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Anthony Watmough

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Les Boyd

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Glenn Stewart

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Paul Vautin

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Ron Gibbs

• Phil Lowe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stephen Knight

• Bruce Walker

• Paul McCabe

• Daniel Gartner

• Nik Kosef

• Total voters

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
TEAM SO FAR ..

Hooker ... Max Krilich
Prop ... Ian Roberts
Prop ... Mark Carroll (bench props to be announced after 2nd row vote)

But now for the 2nd row ... and sadly some outstanding son's of Manly will not make it ... the competition just too strong ... choose wisely ... you have 2 votes ... top 2 in team 3rd place on the bench ...

Many of the players in the poll are also noted players at lock ... so some will get a 2nd chance ....

And again I am sure I have left out some worthy champions ....

Last edited:
@Woodsie, thank you for creating this poll!

A strong field - I have selected Igor & Beaver.

(typo needs correcting - Glenn instead of Brett)

Damn tough....I will start by saying I have Beaver my favourite backrower, but a lock....so I'm leaving him out and hope you will have lock as a separate gig ??
I'm going for a 2nd rower who was my favourite from when I first started following footy - Les Boyd - Yes a Firebrand and a little wild, but was an exceptional player and I was just a Boyd fan, he could scare them and bash them and was very agile and impossible to contain when on his game.
My 2nd favourite was the gutsy Ron Gibbs, a heart on legs who was maybe, the most rugged Warrior I have seen pull on a Manly jersey alongside Tooves!!
The most influential is Ben Kennedy, who gave Manly the competitive edge and transformed the side into a super competitive juggernaut, who would always win the war in the trenches following his leadership from around that 2005 time, which Manly became a dominant force in following years.
Watmough love him or not, was an absolute machine and I also rate him Massively.
My favourites are Boyd and Gibbs....No Boyd, so votes went to Gibbs and Watmough !!

Damn tough....I will start by saying I have Beaver my favourite backrower, but a lock....so I'm leaving him out and hope you will have lock as a separate gig ??
I'm going for a 2nd rower who was my favourite from when I first started following footy - Les Boyd - Yes a Firebrand and a little wild, but was an exceptional player and I was just a Boyd fan, he could scare them and bash them and was very agile and impossible to contain when on his game.
My 2nd favourite was the gutsy Ron Gibbs, a heart on legs who was maybe, the most rugged Warrior I have seen pull on a Manly jersey alongside Tooves!!
The most influential is Ben Kennedy, who gave Manly the competitive edge and transformed the side into a super competitive juggernaut, who would always win the war in the trenches following his leadership from around that 2005 time, which Manly became a dominant force in following years.
Watmough love him or not, was an absolute machine and I also rate him Massively.
My favourites are Boyd and Gibbs....No Boyd, so votes went to Gibbs and Watmough !!
You do like then fiery. don't you!

I recall Ron Gibbs always giving 110% except when about 6 games out from year end he signed with another club (Gold Coast?) from which point he gave 120%.

So, reserving a spot for Beaver at lock....
What? Mal Reilly not good enough for you? @:D

You do like then fiery. don't you!

I recall Ron Gibbs always giving 110% except when about 6 games out from year end he signed with another club (Gold Coast?) from which point he gave 120%.

So, reserving a spot for Beaver at lock....
What? Mal Reilly not good enough for you? @:D
Yes I do like the fiery tough nuts for sure....I never had the pleasure of seeing Mal Reilly in action, but I have no doubt like my fave prop Kevin Ward who was also an uncompromising Pommy....he would be a player I would have plenty of admiration for.
I think the reason I like this style of player, is you will never lose a game on guts, attitude and desire and the opposition have to soundly outplay you to win....and even the best sides often turn it up playing gladiators they know will fight all day, which pretty much gives a chance of Victory every week.

Last edited:
Does make it hard when there are so many great players to make a call on Just based on a long term intimidation and presence factor would have to say Randall , then for all round ability and class , Steve Menzies . Sure that Woodsie would have also considered Crusher Cleal and Steve Norton [ already a reference to Boyd ] , All outstanding contributors on that list again however

Being a second rower myself in my younger days, that list contains some of my all-time favourite players. But if there can be only one choice (and I do appreciate that some of you, like Laurence Olivier's character in "Spartacus", might appreciate snails and oysters in equal measure), that choice is always Beaver.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4