Silvertails Site in danger

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Experience, gut feeling and history of the site with password hacking.
Site is highly secure, we patch security issues immediately and automatically.

Your passwords are hashed and salted so even with a breach the password is indecipherable to them.

There is no way to do a mim attack either.

It's as secure as any website really.

I also have other monitoring in place for any breaches or anyone that manages to somehow get in.

My server and database passwords would be impossible to breach with any brute force or other attacks. I change them at a very regular schedule as well.

I also don't like the pre filling of sign in based off IP address.
Mate that's not how it works and any security issue with that would fall on your side, not the servers. Someone couldn't spoof your IP and expect to get in.

Any and every site requires cookie based authentication which that is.

You can choose not to have your password remembered by your computer if you wish, just means you have to fill it in each time.

Fair enough. I know there was a couple of issues quite a few years back, around Desgate time, but I didn't know of any issues in recent times.
Those issues were with an older software that we used called mybb and some plugins that were not secure and lead to people breaching the site, those issues simply don't exist with the software we use now.

We are no less secure than any other site

Mate that's not how it works and any security issue with that would fall on your side, not the servers. Someone couldn't spoof your IP and expect to get in.

You can choose not to have your password remembered by your computer if you wish, just means you have to fill it in each time.
[/QUOTE

I mentioned the prefilling of the profile name, not the password(i never have the computer remember my passwords)

I totally understand referencing an IP address and associating that with a nick can be good for security but i have noticed Opera doing so.(i still don't personally like it because it comes across as logging, whether it is from your side or not because the average user doesn't know the difference.)

When i change the IP address the prefilling no longer occurs.(i'm only using a free vpn that is probably leaking my true ip anyway, just been too lazy to bother paying for VPN)

Dan i was asked why and i gave my opinions, i mentioned "past hacking" not present and my personal experience was many years ago also, so i'm sure the site is more secure now.

I mentioned the prefilling of the profile name, not the password(i never have the computer remember my passwords)

I totally understand referencing an IP address and associating that with a nick can be good for security but i have noticed Opera doing so.(i still don't personally like it because it comes across as logging, whether it is from your side or not because the average user doesn't know the difference.)

When i change the IP address the prefilling no longer occurs.(i'm only using a free vpn that is probably leaking my true ip anyway, just been too lazy to bother paying for VPN)

Dan i was asked why and i gave my opinions, i mentioned "past hacking" not present and my personal experience was many years ago also, so i'm sure the site is more secure now.

Cool, xenforo that we use now is far more secure.

I don't have a Facebook page nor do I use it.
Ditto all the other social media avenues.
This Forum is where I come to you get news about Manly and to share my opinions.
I've never had any problems. I'm not in a clique, and I have only met a couple of the other Forum posters in the flesh. So as far as I'm concerned this site is most important to me.
Viva la Silvertails! May it soar forever.

Shane,

I agree it can seem like that at times, I remember in the early Days @Mark from Brisbane had the same complaint in a big way, he and i shared some messages about it and he started to really understand the dynamic better and realise that about everything said on here has a hint of tongue in cheek and not to take it too seriously.

Every member is valued here, some people are more known as they have been around longer but that doesnt mean their opinion and posts are any more valuable or hold anymore weight.

It is an important thing that you bring up and I guess that leads me to one additional ask for the forum members, try to be inclusive try to make sure we don't exclude others, the sense of community Silvertails has had since day one and the evolving and revolving members that have come through are all an important part of our story...

Also if anyone is looking for a Sales Engineer, let me know, I will eventually need to find a job in the next 6 months
Sales Engineer ..... I will keep my ears open . How far are you willing to travel ?

Silvertails has seen a decline in members and page visits over the past year. Forums are starting to go out of flavour and we lose more and more people to Facebook.
Interesting comments in the thread so far. The supposed clique-iness must have gone over my head. Likewise there is some abuse but not over the top, or maybe I've just built up a tolerance over time? As for me I'm guilty of getting too sucked into the political discussions at times. They always come up in footy-world, in future I'll try to rein in my natural tendency to enlighten ;)

Dan is that result for the past year part of a long-term trend? Does it have any correlation with NRL (or Manly) attendances or viewer ratings? Is the NRL demographic changing (well der, everything changes) and could that be affecting how todays fans prefer to communicate? (I have no idea)
If ST needs to change something to remain a vibrant and relevant online community then I'm all for it (although I too like the relative anonymity of ST vs FB, and I'm not on Twitter)

Last edited:
Well he got the nick Amsterdan for a reason
Never met him but Dan sounds like a good man

He must be a good man to work hard in keeping our great Silvertails forum viable

Here is a link to Sales engineer jobs in Sydney by SEEK
There are quite a few and hopefully the right one for our feathered friend @Dan

@Dan would be sad if ST did fall away. what about a group of users who create content that you put on social media to get people over here. I've got a couple of ideas if you wanna chat
This is a great idea, content always brings people in. Come for the article stay for the banter. It's an easy thing for me to setup if there are interested souls about

As has been already expressed love this site and everything you do @Dan I get my Manly fix from here and here alone.
@Shane4500 the best advice that I can give you is to come on here to comment about footy and ignore the other rubbish. Always enjoy @maxta posts. They are insightful and about footy and footy alone.
I struggle in changing a car tyre mate - but footy, have some good guidance above me

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8