Short Term Thinking for Long Term Goals

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Your points are valid Bear, with Schuster and him taking unders to stay are a sign of loyalty, the analogy I can relate to is if a person retires or moves on in a company you work at and they don’t promote within the organisation you would look elsewhere.

I understand the frustration that bringing someone else into a position you want to play will block your growth and opportunities, hopefully some communication being driven from Des to the players.

The pathways system is going great, the issue the club have is who to retain, a great position.
The pathways are the sustainability of the club due to the salary cap, hopefully we can find the balance to unearth some more juniors as development players in 2021.

Does Des have the mindset to keep bringing in the younger players and giving them some light on how they can break into the 17 is my fear for retaining our best juniors.

I can see merit in Foran given how disappointing DCE has been with game management this year. It's the price and duration of the contract that is important. I have little doubt there is an agenda being handed to the media at the moment. But suspect it is by powerful forces that don't want a troublemaker back at Man. And I can understand their sentiments. It's human nature. What's unclear is how serious Foz in the squad risks schoey. Who is a big body for a half, he's a perfect lock in my eyes. Loosing AFB only make strengthen such a view. Stay calm what will be will be.

I remind people that in 2007-8 we had an outstanding backline with Steve Bell, Matai in the centres and Jamie Lyon at 5/8. In 2009 a decision was made to shift Lyon, an outstanding 5/8, to centre and risk a young barely 19 year old novice called Foran to take on the 5/8 role. That decision was instrumental in Manly winning a grand final two years later, when another junior DCE was added. The risk showed Hasler's innovative mind in action. He took a hunch on kids even with an outstanding backline. To risk losing a young player probably better at the same age than Foran, for the latter well past his prime, would suggest to me that Des has lost his innovative skill, if he makes that decision. We shall see. But if it happens I'll come back and check that turmoil on these pages late next year.

I remind people that in 2007-8 we had an outstanding backline with Steve Bell, Matai in the centres and Jamie Lyon at 5/8. In 2009 a decision was made to shift Lyon, an outstanding 5/8, to centre and risk a young barely 19 year old novice called Foran to take on the 5/8 role. That decision was instrumental in Manly winning a grand final two years later, when another junior DCE was added. The risk showed Hasler's innovative mind in action. He took a hunch on kids even with an outstanding backline. To risk losing a young player probably better at the same age than Foran, for the latter well past his prime, would suggest to me that Des has lost his innovative skill, if he makes that decision. We shall see. But if it happens I'll come back and check that turmoil on these pages late next year.
Hey you Grizzly Old Fart......you can’t leave me here with only @Woodsie being the only other old fart ( oh plus @nightster ) us old farts have to stick together!!

I still don't get the mass hysteria over schuster if I'm honest...
Yes he played ok in his debut... he also wasted possession with bad kicks on 2nd or 3rd tackles about 3 times... in a game we lost by 2 points that's literally throwing away opportunities... if dce played the exact same way he would have been hung, drawn and quartered by quite a few on here...
Do I want him to leave... no, I want to see how he progresses past his debut game, but I also won't blow up if he leaves...

Yes he played ok in his debut... he also wasted possession with bad kicks on 2nd or 3rd tackles about 3 times... in a game we lost by 2 points that's literally throwing away opportunities... if dce played the exact same way he would have been hung, drawn and quartered by quite a few on here...
Do I want him to leave... no, I want to see how he progresses past his debut game, but I also won't blow up if he leaves...
He’s not leaving

This. We have really blown out the value of Shue based on 60 minutes of his first game. He looked amazing at moments, but also made some stupid decisions with his kick-happiness. That said, he certainly is an exciting potential and I want to hold onto him. However, IF the reports are true about spitting the dummy over the Foran signing, Des has no choice but to cut the guy. You cannot allow somebody in his position, regardless of potential, to dictate who we recruit. I just assume this is BS as I couldn't imagine he would be so stupid. And from what others have commented, he seems to have a humble and sensible head on his shoulders.

I look at the Storm, Roosters and now the Panthers and Knights. None of them would risk losing a top junior or one of the best in their side. They would find ways of keeping them. And they would get them quickly into first grade. They wouldn't be looking for broken down old soldiers to solve their problems.

What about Sonny Bill - Roosters? Blake Green - Knights? Brent Kite - Penrith? & Melbourne are renowned for signing has beens and turning them into gold.

With all likelihood you'll see his special talents playing against us.

What about Sonny Bill - Roosters? Blake Green - Knights? Brent Kite - Penrith? & Melbourne are renowned for signing has beens and turning them into gold.

Sonny Bill will be a very short fill in. Blake Green was still producing but even the Warriors sent him packing. Kite still had the goods but it was like a Kennedy. I'm not saying on occasions older players are brought in.Manly brought in a few in their later careers who were still top ranking. But not when you've got an ideal fit for the position already there, and not with someone with a huge injury package. Watmough? Melbourne don't get old warriors. The players they use are either players who they got as juniors like Roosters do, or were in the early years of their career. How many players near the end of their career can you name?

Sonny Bill will be a very short fill in. Blake Green was still producing but even the Warriors sent him packing. Kite still had the goods but it was like a Kennedy. I'm not saying on occasions older players are brought in.Manly brought in a few in their later careers who were still top ranking. But not when you've got an ideal fit for the position already there, and not with someone with a huge injury package. Watmough? Melbourne don't get old warriors. The players they use are either players who they got as juniors like Roosters do, or were in the early years of their career. How many players near the end of their career can you name?
Everyone says these days you must develop players to be successful and uses Penrith as the example, yet Penrith haven't won a comp since 2003. However the 2 most successful clubs in the last 15 years have no juniors and basically buy every decent young player from everyone else's catchment area. These 2 clubs make a mockery of developing players but get all the credit when they sign the best 16 year olds after every other club put the hard work in to get them to 16. Makes my blood boil. The NSWRL stuffed us up when they forced NSW clubs to have only feeder clubs from NSW, thats how we ended up with Blacktown. When we were at our peak we set up our feeder club as the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles, we got so many high quality players through that set up. Guess who jumped in our spot once we had to let it go. The F'ing Melbourne Storm, they changed it to the Sunshine Coast Falcons and thats where they get all of their talent from, Harry Grant was one of those players. But woohoo, we get Blacktown and the hooka smoking cardboard gangsters that come from there.

Last edited:
I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill.

When young Schuster fronts the media and says “ if this happens I’ll be demanding a release “ then I’ll believe it.

In the meantime I’ll just jog on!!
I may have missed it, but has someone from the club actually come out and said we are pursuing Foran? Honest question as I’m a bit over footy and have not been following that much of late. Plus I can’t be bothered going through that ridiculous Foran thread.

I may have missed it, but has someone from the club actually come out and said we are pursuing Foran? Honest question as I’m a bit over footy and have not been following that much of late. Plus I can’t be bothered going through that ridiculous Foran thread.
I don’t think you get anything from the club about who they are chasing ( or not ) u til they are actually signed up.

It’s all just sports media speculation.

You imply Krillich would have stayed if Manly had continued to keep Jones after 1972.

I agree with your comments re Schuster .although I am not certain that Foran poses as big a threat to him as imagined ...

With Krillich, I amnot saying he would have stasyed after '72 if Freddy stayed ... although in those days I wouldn't doubt it ... what I am saying is that Maxie played for several years in reggies when he was already a walk up starter at any other club ... remember he debuted back in 1970 ...

I think we are making a mountain out of a molehill.

When young Schuster fronts the media and says “ if this happens I’ll be demanding a release “ then I’ll believe it.

In the meantime I’ll just jog on!!
Has josh publicly negated these rumours

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7