Shaun Johnson

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Today's rumour

Moses or Norman to the warriors which then frees up money for Parra to sign Marty

Apparently Johnson is only available for a one year contact which means he has already agreed to go elsewhere in 2020 - the roosters to replace Cronk.

Sharks will be dumb enough to sign him for a year

There is also a rumour that he will be offered a 4 year deal today from the Gummies.

Modern day journalism, take a guess and hope for the best.

Applying modern journalism standards I predict he will sign a 5 year train and trial contract with roosters as injury cover for cronk/keary. :wasntme:

Jokes aside, I still think raiders would have to be in the mix, and with widdop wanting to go back to England, you can't write off the dragoons.

Today's rumour

Moses or Norman to the warriors which then frees up money for Parra to sign Marty

Apparently Johnson is only available for a one year contact which means he has already agreed to go elsewhere in 2020 - the roosters to replace Cronk

In a weird kinda a way I hope this Taupau talk is true. Would be hilarious!

If he is dumb enough to be so disillusioned with Manly and favour a move to Parra then he’s beyond help.

I doubt it’ll happen but there are some really dumb people in this game!

I heard the Roosters were going to "go hard" after Cleary after Cronk goes.

I hope this happens just to **** on Gould.

If he is dumb enough to be so disillusioned with Manly and favour a move to Parra then he’s beyond help.

If he does success obviously isn’t his priority. It is the money. But I do believe now he will stay put

Well it worked out for those other manly champs watmough (ended a golden career in disgrace), foran (downward spiral), and gutho (wooden spoon and acl)

Today's rumour

Apparently Johnson is only available for a one year contact which means he has already agreed to go elsewhere in 2020 - the roosters to replace Cronk

No ,not the rorters, no way can they fit him under their sombrero, sorry sorry. I forgot, we are talking about the unlimited cap they have. Yeah they,ll get him. I dont know what I was thinking lol..:giggle::giggle::giggle:

So from from latest reports Johnson has agreed to terms with a club for 2020 onwards but can not play there 2019. Roosters?

I bet warriors wished tney had hung onto mason lino. He was part of winning matches this year.

The mail I’ve had is that Johnson met with Brain Smith, Stephen Kearney and Cameron George on Monday, and said that if they didn’t release him he wouldn’t put in on or off the field

He will be an interesting watch next season, personally I think he is one of the most over rated players in the comp, but a new system may work wonders for him. I wouldn’t be signing him for one season though, he has absolutely no positive track record in big games, and if you’re bringing in a gun for hire for one season, you’re only doing it for a guy that will lead you to the top, he isn’t that man

The mail I’ve had is that Johnson met with Brain Smith, Stephen Kearney and Cameron George on Monday, and said that if they didn’t release him he wouldn’t put in on or off the field

He will be an interesting watch next season, personally I think he is one of the most over rated players in the comp, but a new system may work wonders for him. I wouldn’t be signing him for one season though, he has absolutely no positive track record in big games, and if you’re bringing in a gun for hire for one season, you’re only doing it for a guy that will lead you to the top, he isn’t that man
Rarely disagree with you kiwi but I would have loved to see SJ in a Manly jersey. He is fun to watch and can do it all.
Although to be fair not sure if a combo with Cherry would work. SJ is not someone who takes on the line (nor should be be). Need at least one of the halves to take on the line on occasion.
NYEagle

The system is broken and the NRL have no control at present. It's not rocket science a solution is available but the NRL are too afraid of standing on toes. Look at the carry on from the player's agents who are now threatening legal action. Being able to sign a player for season 2020 at the end of 2018 is ludicrous and could hardly be in the best interests of the game. Everybody suspects its the Roosters who have signed SJ to replace Cronk in 2020 and everybody jokes about their salary sombrero and the NRL's blindness to it. The recent coaching merry go round with the Cleary nonsense and the Bennett and Siebold Circus is a blight on the game and its administration. The problems at Cronulla adds pressure to the pressure cooker. If the Sharks have in fact breached the Cap with fake invoices (just as Parra did) then the NRL will have no choice but to come down hard on them. Suddenly the Sharks who were considered financially sound are now in serious financial difficulty laying off staff. When the NRL announced they wouldn't be helping clubs financially anymore, Manly were the only ones that most expected might require financial assistance in the near future. Now the NRL have to stick to their guns and the Sharks appear to be in real trouble and might be stripped of their only premiership.IMO administrative ineptitude is at the root of these problems. It needs to be fixed fast!

Out of curiosity, what is the solution you refer to?
Okay maybe it is rocket science but these are my initial thoughts-

1. Salary Cap determined by NRL 3 years in advance.
2. TPA cap of 1 million total with limit of $125 per player. Scrap arms length rule it’s just dumb and unworkable.
3. If a player makes his first grade debut at your club then after 5 years continuous service as a player to the club then 50% Of his salary is applied to the salary cap with a maximum of 6 players subject of discount per season.
4. Players, coaches, player and coach managers/agents must be licenced and sign a contract agreeing to be bound by the published NRL rules. If they don’t agree they can enjoy current contracts but after those contracts have expired they can go elsewhere.
5. Clubs must provide detailed and transparent salary cap and TPA cap annual report to the NRL and be subject of annual and random audits.
6. The NRL not register a contract unless:
i) All parties to contracts and agents involved are accredited by and registered with the NRL.
ii) a contract cannot be entered into and or executed on a date before 1 November of the year immediately before the season commences in the following year (4 months before commencement of following season) to which the contract applies for its first or only season.
iii) multi year contracts can be registered provided they apply with 6(ii) above.
(iv) clubs, players, coaches and or managers/agents not permitted to enter into contract negotiations and to make an offer until the day following the grand final date of the season immediately preceding the first season to which the contract applies.
iv) impose sanctions including deregistration of offending individual and or club and deregistration of player contract.
v) mid season transfers outlawed.
vi) if a player breaches a contract leading to termination of the contract by the club then the player cannot have a contract with another NRL club registered until the following season with the rules above to apply.
vii) All contracts for the season to which it applies must be lodged for registration with the NRL by 1 February immediately preceding the kick off date for that season.
7. players are not permitted to receive any payment or fringe benefit from the club or third party sponsor in excess of the Salary cap and TPA cap above. Yep a restraint on earnings.
8. No coaching staff salary cap but if a club becomes insolvent it’s licence shall be suspended and put out to tender.
Any other ideas?

Okay maybe it is rocket science but these are my initial thoughts-

1. Salary Cap determined by NRL 3 years in advance.
2. TPA cap of 1 million total with limit of $125 per player. Scrap arms length rule it’s just dumb and unworkable.
3. If a player makes his first grade debut at your club then after 5 years continuous service as a player to the club then 50% Of his salary is applied to the salary cap with a maximum of 6 players subject of discount per season.
4. Players, coaches, player and coach managers/agents must be licenced and sign a contract agreeing to be bound by the published NRL rules. If they don’t agree they can enjoy current contracts but after those contracts have expired they can go elsewhere.
5. Clubs must provide detailed and transparent salary cap and TPA cap annual report to the NRL and be subject of annual and random audits.
6. The NRL not register a contract unless:
i) All parties to contracts and agents involved are accredited by and registered with the NRL.
ii) a contract cannot be entered into and or executed on a date before 1 November of the year immediately before the season commences in the following year (4 months before commencement of following season) to which the contract applies for its first or only season.
iii) multi year contracts can be registered provided they apply with 6(ii) above.
(iv) clubs, players, coaches and or managers/agents not permitted to enter into contract negotiations and to make an offer until the day following the grand final date of the season immediately preceding the first season to which the contract applies.
iv) impose sanctions including deregistration of offending individual and or club and deregistration of player contract.
v) mid season transfers outlawed.
vi) if a player breaches a contract leading to termination of the contract by the club then the player cannot have a contract with another NRL club registered until the following season with the rules above to apply.
vii) All contracts for the season to which it applies must be lodged for registration with the NRL by 1 February immediately preceding the kick off date for that season.
7. players are not permitted to receive any payment or fringe benefit from the club or third party sponsor in excess of the Salary cap and TPA cap above. Yep a restraint on earnings.
8. No coaching staff salary cap but if a club becomes insolvent it’s licence shall be suspended and put out to tender.
Any other ideas?

I like it, very well thought out & articulated.

I'm going to take some time to digest it all before replying with my thoughts, but you've obviously put a lot of thought into this.

Rarely disagree with you kiwi but I would have loved to see SJ in a Manly jersey. He is fun to watch and can do it all.
Although to be fair not sure if a combo with Cherry would work. SJ is not someone who takes on the line (nor should be be). Need at least one of the halves to take on the line on occasion.
NYEagle
He would kill it with dce and he kicks goals ;) but wont happen. Off to the rorters in 2020 is the word

I heard the Roosters were going to "go hard" after Cleary after Cronk goes.

I hope this happens just to **** on Gould.

I still don't get all the hype over Nathan Cleary. Personally I don't think he is as good as what some believe and his best asset other than goal kicking is that for his age he has the composure of a 10 year veteran. And for all the praise he got after NSW won Origin this year, he really did SWF. James Maloney was the one leading the Blues around and the one game that Cleary came up against a good half, DCE tore him apart.

With everyone blinded after years of failure by Pearce, Cleary got more praise out of Origin than he deserved IMO.

As for Shaun Johnson? I think he'll end up at Cronulla, though its got me buggered how they can afford him right now.

NYEagle

He can produce a flashy play like the best of them, but the areas that let him down are pretty fundamental after 8 years as a nrl halfback, kicking game poor at times, game management is all poor and option taking under pressure leaves a lot to be desired. Big tendency in his game to be a great downhill skier, dynamite when the side is in front, but missing in big games when the pressure is on.
The other big thing for him now, is that he admitted that since his big leg injury against is, he is hesitant to run the ball, which should be his strongest asset

Hopefully a new system will get some of those areas improving, will be very interesting to watch

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8