Shaun Johnson

• Thread starter Deleted member 26876
  • Start date
  • We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I personally don't think DCE and Johnson would work as a half pairing. Oh sure, they might, but they are just too similar types of players. Both players need an organising type alongside of them to allow them to play their natural game.

It would be like when DCE partnered Thurston in both the Qld and Australian teams. They just didn't gel and and that is what I believe would happen here also.

Not that Shaun Johnson would be coming to Manly anyway so really its nothing more than hypothetical.

Any other ideas?

Simple idea, any Club that signs a player outside of the 12 month window (unless player's Club gave permission to 'look around') forfeits that player's current Cap amount off their Cap and must contract the player at least on the same Cap amount.

eg.
Say Marty is on 500k Cap cost at Manly for next 2 years

Sharks sign him but their Cap is docked 500k.
Sharks TPA can only kick in above Marty's 500k Shark's Cap cost.
So Sharks have a million dollar hit to their Cap for the duration of Marty's broken Manly contract's length:wait:

Ideally the player's current Club would have the docked amount credited to their Cap. As they need to unexpectedly go to market to replace the star player :nerd:

This would stop poaching in its tracks as even the rich Clubs would have to carry the Cap portion and not have the ability to move large portions to TPAs

I’m a fan of SJ, because at his mercurial best he can turn a game on its head. I get the feeling that an SJ/DCE combination in the halves, working off the foundation that our forwards can lay, would have the potential to be absolutely lethal...

That cant be right the Telegraph said the Sharks are broke.
Cap is from the NRL not the Sharks.

Once/if the fines are issued, Gal will just magically retire Cap exempt a la Choc at Parra :cool:

We all know Greenturd's playbook :swear:

Last edited:
I am confused.

The Sharks are under investigation for salary cap breaches. The investigations have not been finalised nor penalties given out.

When we were under investigation for our breaches and were not allowed to register any contracts for around 9 months (from memory).....not even to re-sign existing players in our squad.

So.....IF its true about the Sharks....how the F*CK are they allowed to sign a player on Johnson money whilst under investigation?????!!!!!

If the NRL register this contract that's the end of this bald, corrupt piece of sh*t.

I am confused.

The Sharks are under investigation for salary cap breaches. The investigations have not been finalised nor penalties given out.

When we were under investigation for our breaches and were not allowed to register any contracts for around 9 months (from memory).....not even to re-sign existing players in our squad.

So.....IF its true about the Sharks....how the F*CK are they allowed to sign a player on Johnson money whilst under investigation?????!!!!!

If the NRL register this contract that's the end of this bald, corrupt piece of sh*t.
Holmes freed up their Cap unexpectedly

Holmes freed up their Cap unexpectedly

We had cap space to re-sign Sironen and Api.

The NRL refused to register the contracts.

So cap space is not a reason for allowing the contract to be registered.

Until the NRL finalise their investigation, how do they know they won't be hit with cap penalties?

It is blatant favouring of certain clubs. The game is corrupt.

So moylan to fullback? Or Townsend left right out?
I wonder how Johnson would go at fullback, he'd be pretty dynamic offensively.

Johnston well within his and Cronullas right to sign. Only thing is he didn't have a dad on the nrl board saying don't go there they're gonna be stung.

Good luck to him and then. With Gallen the gig disrupting their attack they won't win another comp.

Sharks hoping Shaun Johnson will help lift club on and off the field
David Riccio, The Sunday Telegraph
December 1, 2018 5:56am
Subscriber only
If ever Cronulla needed a human billboard, it’s now.

The sponsor-hungry Sharks have pulled-off a major on-and-off-field coup, by signing Kiwi Test star Shaun Johnson for the next three years.

The face of rugby league in New Zealand, Johnson put an end to the most tumultuous weeks of his career by putting pen to paper on a new multimillion-dollar deal with the Sharks on Saturday.

Alongside fiance and Silver Fern netballer, Kayla Cullen, the former Golden Boot winner had breakfast with new Cronulla teammates Wade Graham and Andrew Fifita before being given a private tour of his new home in Australia by coach Shane Flanagan.

“Obviously it’s been a really crazy few weeks, but to be able to get over here and lock it all away, I just can’t wait to get stuck in.’’

“All you want to do is play footy and the Sharks are a tough side, they know how to win and that’s what I’m really excited to be a part of.

“I want to add value where I can and play with some experienced players, some big boys in the forward pack.

“We’ll see what unfolds, but I’m really pumped to get all this locked away and bring on the new season.’’

The TAB reacted immediately to Johnson’s move to the Sharks by firming Cronulla’s $21 premiership odds into $13.

The irony and timing of Johnson pulling on the sponsor-less Sharks jersey for the first time for photos, couldn’t be missed.

In the wake of worrying administrative staff redundancies, major budget cuts, Johnson brings much more than a ready-made partnership with halfback Chad Townsend.

Clearly excited for the biggest move of his career, Johnson smiled in the brand-empty jersey, which was purposely selected instead of a neat polo.

Having fielded calls of interest from six potential sponsors over the previous 72 hours, the jersey photo appeared to be an additional pitch by the club to self-promote the empty real estate to any interested buyers.

And by 2pm Saturday — just two hours after news broke of the discarded New Zealand Warriors signing in the Shire — the Johnson effect was already at work.

Boasting 305,000 followers on Instagram — second only to Sam Burgess for most followers in the NRL — Johnson’s post announcing his move to Cronulla had received 21,000 likes.

Ultimately though, Johnson told Graham and Fifita over eggs and coffee his decision to link with Cronulla is based on taking his game to a new level, having failed to secure an elusive premiership with the Warriors.

Using the salary cap space made available from the unexpected departure of star fullback Valentine Holmes, the Sharks believe they can win another premiership with Johnson’s addition to the squad.

His arrival will almost certainly shift 2018 five-eighth Matt Moylan to fullback with Johnson and Townsend, or rising star Kyle Flanagan, to combine in the halves.

Overlooked by many during the Sharks pursuit of Johnson too, is that they have also accrued a goalkicker who can takeover from Holmes.

Flanagan said he was delighted that Johnson had chosen to commit to the club.

“Shaun is obviously a world-class player,’’ Flanagan said.

“Offensively especially, he’ll add a new dimension to our attack as a running number six.

“We’ve already spoken about how in our side, he won’t have do everything himself — he just has to do his job.

“He also spoke about how excited he is to play behind our forward pack, with the likes of Fifita, Woods, Prior Gallen, Graham, and Bukuya.

“As a club, we’re thrilled to see him in the Sharks jersey.’’

Johnson, who was a member of the Kiwis recent tour to England, is expected to commence official pre-season training with the Sharks after Christmas.

Hmmm so sponsorless club in cash trouble is gifted a marquee name and now potential sponsors are ringing hot..? Hmmm...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8