Post-Game Discussion Sharks v Manly [Round 21, 2023]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Game Information

Sharks
Vs
Sea Eagles
26 PointsBet Stadium
23 Jul 2023 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

Fitzgibbon said in the presser the refs decisions were against them haha. That'll do me ! He reckons he'll be following it up with the NRL this week.
yeah Fitzy's a joke, thought the ref favoured no one tbh, he seemed intent on pulling everything up tho. He penalized half grabs around the neck but let go the high shot put on Jake, even the bunker bunnies missed it...mmm.

Cronk worked closely as a player and specialty coach under/with Fitzy at the Chooks so no doubt explains his bias in the commentary box today.

As for our season and where we will finish? I think we took a big hit today in losing Paseka and (to a lesser extent) Aloiai. They'll be lucky to play again this year and we just do not have the pack to combat the loss. Lodge is obviously a plus, but a plus we needed on top of Paseka and Aloiai, not a substitution. Very disappointing as it seems every time we have a galvanising victory, it comes at a cost.
Don't think there season ending LC, the line reporter said Paseka had a probable ligament strain and looking at 2-3wks and 3wks for Aloiai. Lets just hope that's what they both are.

Gould was absolutely gagging for a sharks win the whole game. It was horrid
GusT of wind carries on a bit, he's so bitter and twisted about his Doggies now. It's just sarcasm and jokey comments now. When they shot up the Bulldogs Riff fulltime score, he just kept it short and sweet, oh, they (Bulldogs) have a lot of injuries...thats it..lol.

I remembered this morning boys and girls - the tackle on Paseka was classed as the wishbone tackle (or chicken wing). Here is the NRL's comments and penalties for said tackle:

Chicken wing tackles​

A torsion/flexion of limbs (chicken wing) is a breach of the code where a player uses any part of his body to forcefully twist, bend or apply pressure to a limb or limbs of an opposing player in a way that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to that player. A defending player will be charged with this offence if the limb or limbs of the attacking player are moved in an abnormal direction or outside the usual ranges of movement.

What are the key indicators of this charge?

The limb must be taken past its normal range of movement with the contact by the defending player. The defender may have placed dangerous pressure on the limb to place the attacker to gain an advantage or control the tackle. The contact must be deemed as unnecessary and avoidable.

Phew, was in all sorts of bother those last 15 minutes,nightmares of the Storm and Cows games last year.
At least there were obvious reasons this time round, so in the end we won, and did so being gassed with only 1 player on the bench left.
Well done lads

How the tackle on Tent wasn't a penalty and a bin I have no idea.
That type of tackle is far worse than the so called hip drops some get pulled up for.
Plenty of teams doing it too.

And Jake's HIA and no penalty, wow............
The period when Jake left the field after the high shot he coped was the turning point. First 20m of the 2nd half we tackled everything but then we started to wilt with the Sharks having a mountain of possession, 2nd 20m it was only scrambling defence that was left, but ultimately it was enough for us to win the game, and that's all that matters.

Sea Eagles forward Haumole Olakau'atu and Bulldogs forward Corey Waddell were the other players charged after Sunday's matches.

I didn't really see it (I sound like a coach, lol) but apparently it wasn't that bad...not 3k bad anyway.

Momentum shifts are not that uncommon in the modern era but the tendency in the earlier stages of the 2 nd half with 14 or so missed tackles by Manly certainly was not ideal
Just was not taking that much notice and who the individual players were not best effecting tackles and with the way the game was trending then but of course should have been doing better regardless at that stage .
Make your own luck if you are playing to a good rhythm and that applied in a good part with Manly "s i st effort .
Of course can never understate the lack of available subs in the 2 nd half and Sharks knew how to largely exploit it , Kennedy can be a bit of an X factor and showed it again yesterday
What a difference Lodge made with the ruck control factor, Alioia [ when he was on ] and the Shu with definite improvement also a positive .
Might have expected a bit more from Tuilagi, Woodsie went O K , still not sure when the pace picks up a bit though . Garrick , Koula , D C E and Haumole luckily pretty much on .
In the present circumstances , will gladly take a win however it is finally managed .

I remembered this morning boys and girls - the tackle on Paseka was classed as the wishbone tackle (or chicken wing). Here is the NRL's comments and penalties for said tackle:

Chicken wing tackles​

A torsion/flexion of limbs (chicken wing) is a breach of the code where a player uses any part of his body to forcefully twist, bend or apply pressure to a limb or limbs of an opposing player in a way that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to that player. A defending player will be charged with this offence if the limb or limbs of the attacking player are moved in an abnormal direction or outside the usual ranges of movement.

What are the key indicators of this charge?

The limb must be taken past its normal range of movement with the contact by the defending player. The defender may have placed dangerous pressure on the limb to place the attacker to gain an advantage or control the tackle. The contact must be deemed as unnecessary and avoidable.

Yep I think smith actually mentioned it when it happened. Was an ugly tackle.

Look Manly fell away 2nd half and Cronulla scored a few softies in quick succession which was terrible to watch.
Now I want you to go outside and try drive your car missing a wheel and see how you go....
This is Exactly the effect of missing your 3 front rowers (which was the case) 2nd half and having posession go against you 3/1....
Also some bizarre calls including -
High shots where we lost players (no bin or even a penalty)
A blatent trip which is auto 10m and can be a send off
3 straight up knock ons and play on
Time off called when penalties blown - 1st time seen this in footy ???
I will put the hand up and say there was some tragic defence that imo was unacceptable, however with the way this played out I can confidently say the way the game (was officiated and key player outs) any team, bar Penrith or Souths would have crumbled and been lucky to hold on with the same situation, so personally I'm happy to have grabbed the 2 points.
Also thought Lodge stood up BIG time when we needed someone to in the middle and was the key reason Manly didn't get completely rolled through the guts, which would have ended in an easy Sharks win, so great debut from a bloke who showed he wanted "to Win'' and earn respect as a player, which I feel so far, he delivered.

Sharks star Nicho Hynes has been charged with Tripping after Sunday's loss to Manly while teammate Jesse Colquhoun faces a one-game ban for Dangerous Contact.

Hynes will be fined $1,000 with an early guilty plea to the Grade 1 Dangerous Contact charge for the incident involving Tolu Koula in the 12th minute of Sunday's game at PointsBet Stadium.

Colquhoun faces a one-game ban if he takes an early guilty plea to a Grade 2 Dangerous Contact charge, increasing to two matches should he fight the charge and be found guilty at the judiciary.

Sea Eagles forward Haumole Olakau'atu and Bulldogs forward Corey Waddell were the other players charged after Sunday's matches.

Olakau'atu will be fined $3,000 if he enters an early guilty plea to a Shoulder Charge. Should he fight the charge and lose he would miss two matches.

Look Manly fell away 2nd half and Cronulla scored a few softies in quick succession which was terrible to watch.
Now I want you to go outside and try drive your car missing a wheel and see how you go....
This is Exactly the effect of missing your 3 front rowers (which was the case) 2nd half and having posession go against you 3/1....
Also some bizarre calls including -
High shots where we lost players (no bin or even a penalty)
A blatent trip which is auto 10m and can be a send off
3 straight up knock ons and play on
Time off called when penalties blown - 1st time seen this in footy ???
I will put the hand up and say there was some tragic defence that imo was unacceptable, however with the way this played out I can confidently say the way the game (was officiated and key player outs) any team, bar Penrith or Souths would have crumbled and been lucky to hold on with the same situation, so personally I'm happy to have grabbed the 2 points.
Also thought Lodge stood up BIG time when we needed someone to in the middle and was the key reason Manly didn't get completely rolled through the guts, which would have ended in an easy Sharks win, so great debut from a bloke who showed he wanted "to Win'' and earn respect as a player, which I feel so far, he delivered.
I think that is a fair assessment and I would add one more thing. The few minutes of craziness may never have happened if not for a poor decision at the 68th minute. It was when Haumole had Koula and Saab outside him with only one defender and instead of passing it to Koula he ran back inside for some reason. I'm not trashing Haumole for it coz these things happen (Kennedy also had an overlap and kicked it instead) but it was a crucial decision. That try seals it and there's no way we would have been as gassed as we were in the last 10 mins and the wind would have been taken out of the Sharks sails.

I also think some are being a bit harsh on Woods' performance. I'm not a Woods fan really and if Aloiai and Paseka weren't injured, I wouldn't have him in the 17. But I just watched the replay again and whilst he didn't light up the park, he did take some good carries and made some decent tackles. He's going to be in the team now for the rest of the year I reckon, so it might be time to get behind him and hope he can help get us close to the Finals.

I think that is a fair assessment and I would add one more thing. The few minutes of craziness may never have happened if not for a poor decision at the 68th minute. It was when Haumole had Koula and Saab outside him with only one defender and instead of passing it to Koula he ran back inside for some reason. I'm not trashing Haumole for it coz these things happen (Kennedy also had an overlap and kicked it instead) but it was a crucial decision. That try seals it and there's no way we would have been as gassed as we were in the last 10 mins and the wind would have been taken out of the Sharks sails.

I also think some are being a bit harsh on Woods' performance. I'm not a Woods fan really and if Aloiai and Paseka weren't injured, I wouldn't have him in the 17. But I just watched the replay again and whilst he didn't light up the park, he did take some good carries and made some decent tackles. He's going to be in the team now for the rest of the year I reckon, so it might be time to get behind him and hope he can help get us close to the Finals.
Your spot on 100%....should have been a try and they gained energy and every call even more from that point....
It was like the Sharks just had the ball for the rest of the game and we were juiced.
Anyways, lets be happy with the 2 points I say, it's Illawarra we need to concentrate on now, just put those points in the bag and move forward...

Yes, we lost three props (Tent, Al and Jurbo) but we still had props in Kewpie, Lodge and Woods. I'm not sure we can simply blame injuries for our 'white flag' defence.
Is it just me or is Kelma unworthy of a place in our top 17? I have been so disappointed and underwhelmed by his performances.

Was there anything illegal in the grapple that has put Tent out for the rest of the season?
We've banned chicken wings, crushers, cannonballs . . .
Was this a wishbone or some other type of nefarious tackle?

Yes, we lost three props (Tent, Al and Jurbo) but we still had props in Kewpie, Lodge and Woods. I'm not sure we can simply blame injuries for our 'white flag' defence.
Is it just me or is Kelma unworthy of a place in our top 17? I have been so disappointed and underwhelmed by his performances.
Again, I'm not sure he's playing as bad as we might think. After watching the replay this morning, he did a lot of good things - good tackles, he's running hard. I'm not saying he's a World beater or we couldn't have someone better but he has certainly come back from his injury, a better player. I was specifically watching him and Woods coz they get a lot of stick and frankly, I wasn't a fan of either. But I do see more upside to Kelma at this point. I'm not sure who we would replace him with right now anyway. I think Fainus days in 1st Grade are gone since he signed with the Tigers and Ben won't be back any time soon. Not sure but I think he's worth persevering with for now.

Think Kelma had the most tackles, not Croker this time. 40 something I believe. He's improving with every game for mine.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8