Pre-Game Sharks v Manly [Round 20, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

10 40
Suncorp Stadium
02 Aug 2021 08:05 PM

Team Lists

Well well well ... we may see the Siro having a go in the middle ... rip in Manly
Surely Des has got into him about stifling our backline. He needs to run it like his old man. Straight, hard, and if there’s someone on his coattails, let it ride.

Tommy Turbos girlfriend is having a baby on Manly Grand final day V the Storm
Tommy has the best doctors at his disposal. That child can be born the day before or the morning of, To celebrate the win. Induction or caesarian of course. But surely Tommy's girl would just grit her teeth and mutter "Tomorrow" over and over again.

Tommy has the best doctors at his disposal. That child can be born the day before or the morning of, To celebrate the win. Induction or caesarian of course. But surely Tommy's girl would just grit her teeth and mutter "Tomorrow" over and over again.
If the child is anything like tommy it will be a quick birth…… hopefully the baby won’t come out too quickly we don’t want it to do a hammy.

just sayin’

Here I go with a downer. I should be shot. But a little concerned Manly may go easy with the big game next week.
No your concerns are right. This week is as important as next 2 weeks. Win by any margin we either are level with roosters or 1 game behind eels and roosters ( depending on tomorrow nights result.

Sharks is just a must win in my eyes, it just keeps the other chasing teams at bay and we will be that closer to securing us playing finals football.

Manly by 7 against the sharks

Surely Des has got into him about stifling our backline. He needs to run it like his old man. Straight, hard, and if there’s someone on his coattails, let it ride.

Mate .. it went on all year ... the only conclusion you could reach is that it was done with Dessie's instructions .. or at the very least, his approval ... otherwise he would have stopped it.

Some of the def when we were down 10-12 was huge though. Directly led to those 2 fast tries right on half time in my view, Tigers were just 'WTF just happened, we were bashing them', then we pop in 2 quickies before half time to bring their momentum undone. That showed character/composure.

Didn't like the soft middle we showed against the Tigers, hope that tightens up substantially against the Sharks, who are another team that lift against us, making it 3 in a row against teams we often struggle against (Dragons/Tigers/Sharks all seem to lift against Manly)

Vs Sharks, Johnson out is bigger than Moylan in. Think they have Trindall as the other half, who is super-young, but is coming up against DCE/Foran. Should be academic, but those are the games that make me nervous.

Sharks aren't bad this year - they just aren't that good either, and there are some bog-average teams in the league this year. Their win against Penrith during the SOO series is probably their main highlight this year - and that was a 1-pt thriller. They have been win-loss-win-loss for a few weeks now and don't look like anything other than a Bradbury-esque finals contender, sliding over the line behind the wreckage.
My neighbors a die hard sharks fan from the shire up here and he’s adamant the Sharks can never beat manly. Hands down in his opinion the hardest team for the Sharks to beat. Naturally he gives them no chance this weekend.

With Tolman returning and Rudolf at lock they have a HUGE pack and bench props. We need to win this in the middle or small guys will cut us up trough there again...like Starling, Brooks and Liddle did.
Paseka, Sips, Marty, Guac, Schu, Jake, Siro. We are not small either and I’d argue more mobile. Also with the energy Lawton provides I’m confident we will manage this pack. Looks like mismatches all over the place in the backs as well. But we do need to win the middle first before opening them up. I hope we don’t see a repeat of the tigers game. I have a sneaky feeling this game will be more like our outing against the Dogs.

11.jpg

Looking forward to how the team approaches this game, a good test for them.
Yep it will be big test for the team. They have a big pack, and our bench looks very light on genuine middles. I hope Sironen steps up and plays some significant (and effective) minutes in the middle. We can't expect to rely solely on Jake and Sipley, when Paseka and Marty are off the field. Good test for us coming into the Scum.

Yep it will be big test for the team. They have a big pack, and our bench looks very light on genuine middles. I hope Sironen steps up and plays some significant (and effective) minutes in the middle. We can't expect to rely solely on Jake and Sipley, when Paseka and Marty are off the field. Good test for us coming into the Scum.
I think that’s the weakness of the Sharks, the leg speed in the middle, Tolman and Woods are very slow, Turbo will test them, DCE may even have a few scoots if he gets in at dummy halve.

They have some good younger middles who have been inconsistent. A good test for them to get into a groove @Simmo66.

We might see a completely new approach from Siro this time around. I hope so and I hope he plays well. If he brings his offloads into this game, he might surprise a lot of people on here. (Particularly off the third or fourth hit up close to the Sharks line) Players like Lawton, Croker, DCE, Turbo, Walker etc, could do well off those offloads, especially with a tired Sharks middle. One can only hope I guess.
Go Manly.

If we can't towel up the gummies then pack it all in for the year. Seriously, they're slow pondering elephants in the middle will struggle to contain our attack.

This game will be a good stepping stone to work on combinations leading into the Storm game. I dare say we will look much more fluent in attack and have a little more purpose defending the middle 3rd.
The tigers game was very clunky but we need those games to iron out the creases. This week IMO will showcase what we are about.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6