Shane Flanagan opens up on Manly assistant role

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

Premiership winner Shane Flanagan opens up on Manly assistant role​

flanno%20shane%20BBQ%20galore.jpg

Getty Images

Shane Flanagan has opened up on his new job as Manly assistant coach - and he's hoping to catapult himself back into a head coaching role in the future.
After being deregistered by the NRL in 2018, Flanagan has worked at the Dragons for the past few years as both an assistant and list management consultant.

But after moving on from the Red V, the 56-year-old will head to the Sea Eagles next season and link up with former Broncos boss Anthony Seibold on the coaching staff.

The move is an interesting one for both parties. Flanagan is still hoping to gain a head coaching role and it was surprising he wasn't considered for the top job at Manly after Des Hasler's messy exit, while the new boss Seibold will immediately have internal pressure from his right-hand man.

But speaking on 2GB Radio, Flanagan explained the reasons behind his move to the Northern Beaches and revealed Seibold and the club want to push him back into a major role within the NRL.
“The thing that I liked about Anthony when he first rang me to ask me to come and do the job, which a lot of other coaches wouldn’t do,” he said.
“He wanted me to come there because he sees me as an NRL coach and I’ve done it before and I’ve been in that position, and he wants someone to work beside him that’s had that experience.
“A lot of coaches would be intimidated by it. It’s a really good start, and he wants me to coach like an NRL coach, and the club wants me to do that, as well.
“The club wants me to get an NRL job, and if I do a really good job with Manly that will happen.”
Flanagan emerged as one of the game's best coaches during his time with Cronulla, taking them to multiple finals series and guiding the club to their maiden premiership in 2016.
But his time at the Sharks didn't come without controversy, with Flanagan involved in both the salary cap drama and doping scandals during his time in charge.
And a fresh start after a disappointing run at St George Illawarra may do his coaching future the world of good, after missing out on the top job at the Bulldogs and Tigers earlier this year.
Flanagan believes the Sea Eagles have what it takes to do some damage and rebound from a horror 2022 campaign, and pointed to the likes of Haumole Olakau'atu and the Trbojevic brothers as integral members of the squad.

“Our back-row is going to be [strong]...Olakau’atu started last year, sort of burst onto the scene - he’s a quality edge back-rower,” he said.
“If you throw Jake at lock. Tom is at the back, and then we’ve got some really classy outside backs.
“I don’t see too many weaknesses, but what I do see is a side that can play football and score some points and has got speed and power.

“When you come into a side, me and Anthony Seibold coming into a club like this, they’ve come last or down the bottom of the table and you come in and the roster needs a big change.
“It definitely doesn’t need to change at Manly. We’ve got a good footy team ready to go this year, so I’d expect good things.”

Manly will kick off their 2023 campaign with a clash against Canterbury in Round 1.

They are saying all the right things and look like they are very committed , now we just have to hope they playing group buys in and the management group don’t start a war with them.

If the players buy in it will be an incredibly major move into making Manly successful again.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves , there’s a long way to go.

@Woodsie

I reckon it’s time for another poll.

To garnish the feelings on here about how things are looking for the future.

The Dessie Fan Boys will always be negative but I’d suggest most are feeling more confident now than they were 2 months ago.

That is if @globaleagle will let you do another one.

I have changed the poll in the Sea ShawShank redemption thread so that voters can change their vote as their attitudes or results change ... it will be more like a optimist/pessimist pulse ..

Jake is one of my favorite players but where to use him most effectively is a difficult proposition. Defensively he is a machine but with the footy in hand he lacks the pace of more mobile locks like Murray and Radley and is not really big enough the bend the line with the footy in the front row. At present he has to be our lock.

I think Flanagan is more stating this due to Jake playing at lock in recent times, this will reviewed and could yet be altered once the head coaches lock heads and throw idea's best moving forward.
That’s correct.I wouldn’t be placing too much credence into specific statements relating to tactics or players positioning,coaches/assistants talk about in November,especially in Manly’s case with the head coach not even in the country as yet.That’s why I take no notice of the Garrick to centre speculation.These positional changes may occur,but given season kick off is 3-4 months away,anything can happen,like a late night race down the Corso

I’m liking what I’m hearing from the whole coaching staff. On paper and as a whole it’s a pretty good coaching lineup. It doesn’t amount to wins but it’s a good start. And as @mickqld stated it’s last chance saloon for both these guys. Ride or die for both.

I don’t think we’ll be top 5 next year but I think we’ll see big improvements. Need a few key signings or youth to step up in key positions. I’m excited.

I’m liking what I’m hearing from the whole coaching staff. On paper and as a whole it’s a pretty good coaching lineup. It doesn’t amount to wins but it’s a good start. And as @mickqld stated it’s last chance saloon for both these guys. Ride or die for both.

I don’t think we’ll be top 5 next year but I think we’ll see big improvements. Need a few key signings or youth to step up in key positions. I’m excited.
Very exciting times over the Des stale and predictable line ups and game plans

Des will always be a Manly legend but all good things come to an end

.That’s why I take no notice of the Garrick to centre speculation.
The Garrick to centre speculation is a revelation !

and an upgrade on the slow and predictable Parker feathered friend

Slow is not the way to go in the fast game

Slow is a liability in both defence and attack

I see the bitter clown Roy masters banging on about the lack of Pacifika coaches in the NRL and I reckon deliberately excluded Jim Dymock from the article due to his Fibro rhetoric and baggage. Move on Roy!
Perhaps Roy excluded Jim Dymock because he is an assistant NRL coach

Pacific Power in on the rise and it wont be too long before some of those great Pacific players
Rise and make Great head coaches

The Garrick to centre speculation is a revelation !

and an upgrade on the slow and predictable Parker feathered friend

Slow is not the way to go in the fast game

Slow is a liability in both defence and attack
I never passed judgement on whether Garrick will be good or bad at centre.My comment was in regards to it being November and the fact the coach hasn’t stepped foot into the club.Anything can happen between now and season kick off,as evidenced by TomT’s Corso Little Athletics carnival proved a couple of yrs ago.

I see the bitter clown Roy masters banging on about the lack of Pacifika coaches in the NRL and I reckon deliberately excluded Jim Dymock from the article due to his Fibro rhetoric and baggage. Move on Roy!

The bloke is a muppet. It’s pretty ironic that his dad Cec Masters was the Principal at Manly West Public School when I was there and his mum Olga had a regular column in the Manly Daily. Go figure 💁‍♂️

Jeez we are a funny club. Fans should get a gold plated turd on a trophy every year as a thanks for just putting up with the crap that goes on.

Let's work back In time. When was the last positive top shelf signing either in the coaching or playing staff?

We have seibold and Flanno who apprently are on there 'last chance' ride.

We had des returning from the dogs as an apprently washed up failed coach who took the job no-one else would.

We had Twenty. A complete rookie with no runs on the board.

Tooves who again had no real top shelf coaching ability other than being handed a generational side albeit one on the down slide.

On the playing side who have we signed that we all went WOW?

For me it's Jamie Lyon but let's be honest. The only reason he came here was his relationship with Crusher and the Bush footy link.

Then you look at the big dogs we compete against who sign the best coaches, players and support staff. All have huge new shiny stadiums and centers of excellence. All have rich and famous backers or are one club cities that allow huge sponsorship opportunities.

We go ok considering what a shambles we run at.

On the playing side who have we signed that we all went WOW? For me it's Jamie Lyon but let's be honest.
In 2016 Marty was hailed as one of the best Manly signings of all time. He was pretty good but never fulfilled that prediction. Dylan Walker was also a current rep star when he signed.

In fact, since we signed Killer, we're probably more notable for players who left Manly and went on to bigger things, such as Gutho, Api and of course JWH.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4