Seibold Selection Surprises - 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Didn't he get boozed and break into some defence site or something recently?

I've noticed that Tom is very much a leader on the field, although he may not like talking off field too much. Jake considers captaining Manly a great honour & has loved the captaincy opportunities he's been given thus far.

DCE is the veteran in the squad and is looked up to by all players. However, as the best player in the team, Turbo might command even more respect.

My problem with DCE as captain is
a. He doesn't appear to lead by example when the chips are down (doesn't inspire the troops)
b. Under pressure, he is regularly flustered and can make wrong decisions. Often he tends to try for a flashy play rather than a sensible play which will keep the team in the grind.
c. He seems to lack passion & is not too bothered when the team loses.

Others may have different opinions about DCE's leadership.
Im with you on most of this except maybe the last bit about losing. I know what youre saying but I think he feels it as much as the other blokes coz I've seen him doing that rubbing his hair thing he does when hes frustrated/peedoff. Not sure if it's his way of trying to keep the mood from being completely miserable. Maybe he thinks Jakey gets depressed enough for everybody! :eek: I am a Tom fan for Capt but I think Id like him just to focus on staying on the field for the time being.

We need a tough as teak leader in the pack that will inspire our pack on the field. Big O wad very quiet in attack last season and I believe he looked frustrated by what was being done with the ball by our halves often receiving the ball flat footed. I hope we see big changes in our on field structures and decision making.

Not sure if there is presently that good an array of 2 nd rowers available and up to speed . Obviously Oloka - atu in the top bracket , Tuilagi hopefully can be a consistent good performer . Burbo still a bit to go yet to be at that required higher level . No idea with Condon if he is being considered there and if he could offer something worthwhile , Bulemor hardly consistent there last season but put in a couple of good efforts . So just in regard to bench options , Walker gone , Lawton out for a while yet , need two props but for the other two spots [ or at least one ] need some degree of versatility . Maybe Weekes if he can not make the run on side , Parker could at least cover outside backs , back row . But agree could still figure as a centre option with Koula . Still a bit mystified with the speculation of the Garrick centre suggestion , not to say that he is not capable of playing there . Just if it would be the best fit for the side and when he has already established himself as a very capable wing and to a lesser extent , full back option .
I'd be very surprised to see Parker as a bench fwd Al, would need to bulk up a bit, especially when doing the hard carry's.

Getting close now boys and girls. Trials in a few weeks. I reckon our new coach and staff will spring some interesting selection surprises. So in the interest of generating some thoughtful and perhaps not-so-thoughtful responses, here is my standout tip for 2023;

Morgan Harper - from an ok Centre in 2022 to our most feared / aggressive Backrower in 2023. Anyone remember Ronnie Gibbs? Morgan is just a tad shorter and a tad heavier but exactly the same temperament. I think we all agree that we need some aggro in those forwards. The answer might be that obvious.... and right under our noses!!!

Thoughts? Other predictions?
And who replaces our best centre at centre?

I'd be very surprised to see Parker as a bench fwd Al, would need to bulk up a bit, especially when doing the hard carry's.
Taller and heavier than Lawton and Fulton who played in the forwards last year.

Not to menton Murray and Radley.

Taller and heavier than Lawton and Fulton who played in the forwards last year.

Not to menton Murray and Radley.
In regards to Murray and Radley, these guys have that perfect build for the type of player they are, and both posses great leg drive also.

Parker has a running style not suited to playing in the forwards. He frequently gets smashed running the ball out of our end as a result. A player with great heart but not a solution for our second row.I worry about the concussive impacts he has already suffered.

I would like to see Turbo given the opportunity later - when he fully overcomes all his physical problems.
Great Players like Tommy Turbo do great things on the field

The best leaders are not necessarily the ones that do great things on the field

They are the ones that can motivate others to do great things on the field

Tommy might still be that great leader

Parker has seemed to improve his hit up , hard run 's technique in recent seasons , been doing plenty of them playing in the centres in recent seasons and no significant high shots or receiving them or being adversely affected much at all . Don "t think that size would be a particular issue for him on a forward 's edge , isn "t he something like 6 ' 4 on the old scale and probably would be not that far off 100 kgs or so . Good defensive technique , again does quite well busting a i st up tackle , particularly close to the line , still not bad pace . Never in the speedster category but can still stride out . Anyway , if he is now being considered not so much as i st up centre consideration . talk of Garrick switching [ which i still have reservations ] , maybe Harper , the promising Fletcher - Myers , even Tippy Toes or Weekes . Not that much of an abundance of proven back rowers in the squad , just think the time has come for Brad to be given at least some consideration as a back rower as was just briefly the case some 5 season' s ago but when it was not that recommended .

Parker has seemed to improve his hit up , hard run 's technique in recent seasons , been doing plenty of them playing in the centres in recent seasons and no significant high shots or receiving them or being adversely affected much at all . Don "t think that size would be a particular issue for him on a forward 's edge , isn "t he something like 6 ' 4 on the old scale and probably would be not that far off 100 kgs or so . Good defensive technique , again does quite well busting a i st up tackle , particularly close to the line , still not bad pace . Never in the speedster category but can still stride out . Anyway , if he is now being considered not so much as i st up centre consideration . talk of Garrick switching [ which i still have reservations ] , maybe Harper , the promising Fletcher - Myers , even Tippy Toes or Weekes . Not that much of an abundance of proven back rowers in the squad , just think the time has come for Brad to be given at least some consideration as a back rower as was just briefly the case some 5 season' s ago but when it was not that recommended .
You recommend putting Parker in the second row ?

It is like putting him in a Den amongst the wild Lions

Up against Dynamic beast like Kikau , Papalii, Crighton David Fifita , Kaufusi ,Frizel Nikora, Nanai etc..

If we are going to match it with the best in the NRL we need to come up with better options than Parker

I think this may well be another surprise selection from Seibold. Both Brad and Morgan are under enormous pressure to maintain their centre positions given the serious talent we have banking up. The Brad injuries would be my only reservation for moving him to a 2nd row position but only one way to find out. Incidentally I have seen young Fletch Myers play a few times last year and got to say very impressed. I cant wait for the trials as Seibold would have to declare his hand there at some stage. I will be very disappointed if he employs the same combinations and plays. We need structural changes to make the 8 and some luck with injuries to make the 4. Given that...we are a shoe-in for the Premiership!!!!

You recommend putting Parker in the second row ?

It is like putting him in a Den amongst the wild Lions

Up against Dynamic beast like Kikau , Papalii, Crighton David Fifita , Kaufusi ,Frizel Nikora, Nanai etc..

If we are going to match it with the best in the NRL we need to come up with better options than Parker
Yep - Parker is a decent NRL player at best.

He would be a poor man's Luke Garner if played in the pack.

Surely, we can do better than him in the second row.

Yep - Parker is a decent NRL player at best.

He would be a poor man's Luke Garner if played in the pack.

Surely, we can do better than him in the second row.
It is a ruthless world out there

The stronger devour the weaker

We need to get with the strength

The Eagle Muscle | Eagle cartoon, Eagle mascot, Bald eagle art

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4