Second Brisbane team - 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Through work I knew Brisbane dwellers who supported the Crushers and hated the Broncos. Unfortunately this was around 20 years ago and Rugby League could have had a generational supporter base in place now for the second team if the Crushers had been supported.
That being said, one thing I'll give credit to Queenslanders for is they like being (and backing) the underdog so I could see many of them them getting behind and sticking with a new franchise, especially if a few of the Maroons side are part of the roster.

Through work I knew Brisbane dwellers who supported the Crushers and hated the Broncos. Unfortunately this was around 20 years ago and Rugby League could have had a generational supporter base in place now for the second team if the Crushers had been supported.
That being said, one thing I'll give credit to Queenslanders for is they like being (and backing) the underdog so I could see many of them them getting behind and sticking with a new franchise, especially if a few of the Maroons side are part of the roster.
I remember going to a Crushers game. The announcer said could everyone stand for a minutes silence in honour of Lady Dianna who had been killed (I hadn’t heard before this announcement) . I’ll be honest with you all, I was in tears. I left the ground straight away. There was no way I was watching footy after that announcement.

I remember going to a Crushers game. The announcer said could everyone stand for a minutes silence in honour of Lady Dianna who had been killed (I hadn’t heard before this announcement) . I’ll be honest with you all, I was in tears. I left the ground straight away. There was no way I was watching footy after that announcement.
Thanks for sharing @wombatgc, I'm sure we can all relate and most can remember when we first heard about Lady Di's tragic accident. Me, I had just flown into Brisbane after an annual work conference at Hamilton Island when I was told the news.
Ironically, I was in the Tower Mill in Brisbane on a Wallabies weekend when the news of John John's (John Kennedy Junior's) plane crash broke. What might have been?

Edit: I don't live in Brisbane

Thanks for sharing @wombatgc, I'm sure we can all relate and most can remember when we first heard about Lady Di's tragic accident. Me, I had just flown into Brisbane after an annual work conference at Hamilton Island when I was told the news.
Ironically, I was in the Tower Mill in Brisbane on a Wallabies weekend when the news of John John's (John Kennedy Junior's) plane crash broke. What might have been?

Edit: I don't live in Brisbane
Yeah, there’s just pivotal moments in history that stay with you forever.

Remember superleage? They only want the broncos. And lame ducks like the sharks to play against a’la the Washington capitals

It's off point but I think you mean the Generals, the Caps are a mighty fine hockey team. :)

Great to see a second Brisbane side in the comp and it will limit the monopolisation of the Bronks in QLD. But not to also include a Perth side is madness in my opinion. The game is ready to thrive there and ignoring them only makes it harder later to keep crowds from turning to that other code more and more. Get your act together Greenberg and V'Landys. The game needs to move forward, not held back by your reactive and myopic thinking.

Plans or organizing a couple of viable consortium bids for a 2 nd Brisbane side were fairly advanced a few years ago so would have to think that there would be still a couple of serious bid players interested . Assembling a competitive squad and despite the population and extensive footy base in south east Queensland probably would still require the successful bid team recruiting players from outside the greater Brisbane area and maybe other N R L existing sides but that would just or most likely be the reality . Broncos have maintained their virtual monopoly and unfair advantages in Brisbane and south east Queensland far longer then they really should have been entitled to , hope that it does eventuate and the speculation is just not fake news .

I confess that I Don't have any insight into the minds of Brisbaners ... but the city is big enough and rich enough to support 2 teams well ... I have noticed that the Bronco's have alienated a few legends over the past few years .. this may just work against them if a few sign on to the new franchise ...

PSS .. It may just be the superannuation contract an aging DCE might go for ...

A little bit different from most supporters thoughts but I reckon that the SE QLD region could support another 2 teams, one in Brisbane Metro/ Ipswich area and another in the Redcliffe/ Caboulture/ Sunshine Coast area; a team in Perth and then yet another on the Central Coast(FYI I'm a Gosford boy and so will admit bias) for a total of 20 teams.

We could then have 2 x 10 team conferences(18 games home and away for each conference) and say 5 games against the other conference teams(these would rotate yearly) for a 23 game season for the players and then an inter-conference playoff series; say top 3 per conference plus next 2 best teams from either conference(to be determined on for/against or similar) to make an 8 team finals series.

This would allow plenty of TV games for the broadcasters and slightly decrease the players workload by 2 regular season games and maybe have 2 weekend State of Origins to again spread out the rest period of the majority of players.

Just my 2 bobs worth.

The Donkeys killed off the Crushers , it was meticulous , well planned and beautifully executed.

Gave gazillions of tickets away , made their tickets dirt cheap, made their memberships even cheaper, bought all the best talent , used their ownership by News Ltd to effectively negate any promotion of the club above theirs ( ie the Bronco Mail has pages and pages of Donkey stories and lucky to be 2 lines on the Crushers), it was almost like the Crushers didn’t exist.

Of course it was Super League War time and the ARL was spending its war chest on securing the main clubs that had remained loyal , not the recently added ones.

It was the perfect storm for the Crushers.

And to be honest I don’t see much difference this time around , up against the richest club , majority owned by News Ltd ,the Thoroughbreds etc etc.

Going to be very interesting!

The only way a 2nd team will do well there is that News Filth keep their sticky paws out of the game, cause the Donkeys are not going to give up their monopoly lightly! I think this also spells trouble for the troubled Titans who have not exactly risen to any heights since their inception!

The Donkeys killed off the Crushers , it was meticulous , well planned and beautifully executed.

Gave gazillions of tickets away , made their tickets dirt cheap, made their memberships even cheaper, bought all the best talent , used their ownership by News Ltd to effectively negate any promotion of the club above theirs ( ie the Bronco Mail has pages and pages of Donkey stories and lucky to be 2 lines on the Crushers), it was almost like the Crushers didn’t exist.

Of course it was Super League War time and the ARL was spending its war chest on securing the main clubs that had remained loyal , not the recently added ones.

It was the perfect storm for the Crushers.

And to be honest I don’t see much difference this time around , up against the richest club , majority owned by News Ltd ,the Thoroughbreds etc etc.

Going to be very interesting!

Would a difference this time around be that with news corp and Fox benefitting from an extra brisbane/qld game each week they would be more supportive ...

Also Mark, Kenty in the Tele today said they shouldn't look at any other consortium other than the Norths Bears .. ??? .... is he on smack or are all the Brisbaners lining up to adopt Florimo ???

Gold Coast is still in the battleground code territory with the A F L and strategically will not be let go by the N R L in all normal circumstances and even with a fickle supporter base . Utilizing Suncorp every weekend with televised games is going to largely dictate the push for a 2 nd Brisbane side as well as the population base there justifying it . Perth should still be in contention too but still might be some time off in contrast to a 2 nd Brisbane or greater Brisbane franchise .

Does anyone else have doubts about Queenslanders supporting a traditional Sydney team parachuted into Brisbane?

A team with a standing like St George might get up, given it probably still has 40,000 supporters in South East Queensland and has maintained support despite having there history cut off and reset when Illawarra was added. Doubtful they would be considered though given the Illawarra connection and the further weakening of the Sydney NRL supporter base.

Interesting to read the Fitzroy Lions wiki detailing their combining with Brisbane Bears to create a very successful AFL franchise. It mentions issues with changing the old 'Fitzroy' logo after quite a few years of existence which highlights how strong and deep run tradition is within clubs.

Does anyone else have doubts about Queenslanders supporting a traditional Sydney team parachuted into Brisbane?

Or that their current supporters would continue to support them ... if Manly left the beaches and changed their name to the Brisbane whatevers ... that would be it for me ... up stumps !

I used to live in Bear territory and I know a lot of their former supporters who would probably attend some local derbies but I doubt would bother to travel to Brisbane.
It would be good to have the Bears back because I always had a soft spot for them and they provided me with lots of laughs, but if they carried a Brisbane/Qld name then my sympathies would quickly evaporate.

Brisbanites will NOT support a team from Sydney moved north, FULL ****ING STOP.

Needs to have an identity they are familiar with, Ipswich Jets , Redcliffe Dolphins.

To simplify things, the second Brisbane team will be called the broncos too, wear the away strip and also play out of suncorp.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4