Sea Eagles latest news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Ballin is ready to weather the storm

16 Jan 09
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/ballin-is-ready-to-weather-the-storm/

MATT Ballin couldn’t ask for a tougher start to the year.
When the classy Sea Eagles rake runs out onto Elland Road to take on the Leeds Rhinos in the World Club Challenge, former NSW and Australian hooker Danny Buderus will be waiting for him.
“Someone only told me that a few days ago actually, I hadn’t really thought about it,” Ballin said.
“It’s going to be a good challenge, he (Buderus) was the benchmark hooker in the NRL for the past 10 years or so.
“I am sure he will let me know he is around, but that doesn’t bother me, it will add to the occasion.”
Des Hasler’s men are seeking to become the first Australian team to win the one-off clash on English soil since the Sydney Roosters demolished St Helens 38-0 at the Reebok Stadium in 2003.
The 26-year-old said the colder climate in the old dart will be a culture shock.
“I was speaking to Beaver (Steve Menzies) recently and he told me it was snowing when he was training just after Christmas,” Ballin said.
“It will be my first time over there, the conditions will be different to what I am used to but all the boys will be in the same boat.
“After growing up in Queensland it will be some weather adjustment.”
In more good news for Manly fans, Ballin revealed he has verbally agreed to terms with the NRL premiers for at least two more years.
“I leave all that stuff with my manager (George Mimis) to sort out,” he said.
“I am very happy at the club, they gave me a chance at first grade level and I want to repay that faith.”
Ballin will also maintain his part-time work as a personal trainer.
“It’s something I enjoy doing, it gives me an outlet away from footy,” he said.
“I fit it in around training. The club has always been fine about it.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Hungry ‘Wolfman’ back - with beard

16 Jan 09 by PETER PETERS
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/hungry-wolfman-back-with-beard/

“WOLFMAN” David Williams has slammed the door shut on his dream debut season and starts his new campaign with the Sea Eagles on Monday.

Williams and the rest of Manly’s World Cup representatives return to official training and a torrid four-week program before leaving with teammates for the World Club Challenge against the Leeds Rhinos at Elland Road on Sunday, March 1.

One thing Williams will take into the 2009 season is his now trademark beard.

It was shaved off by teammates during the early days of celebration after the grand final triumph over the Storm, but he hasn’t seen a razor for more than a month and tips the beard will be in need of a trim by the March 14 start of the premiership against the Bulldogs.

Williams did a cover-shoot for Alpha magazine at Brookvale Oval on Wednesday but said he is now going to concentrate on football.

“It has been an amazing 12 months but except for the memories it is all over now - I want to improve my game and keep working at playing my role in the team,” Williams said.

He managed to win a premiership and debut for Australia in his first season in the NRL in one of the most stunning introductions to the big time in modern-day rugby league.

MONDAY’S benefit night for breast cancer and Shelly Cleal is a sellout at the Hoyts Theatre number two at Warringah Mall.

There has been a surge of support for Shelly from the community and it will be a fun evening for hundreds of young fans who will watch a replay of the 2008 grand final.

The wife of the Manly great and current club recruitment officer said she has been blown away by the support.

“It has been amazing and gives me great strength,” Shelly said.

Fox Sports’ Andy Raymond will be host for the evening.

One of the youngsters sitting next to the players will be 10-year-old barefoot water-ski sensation Riley McKay from the Central Coast.

Riley has been supported by the Sea Eagles players who raised $5000 for her to compete at next month’s world titles in Auckland.

Riley,who will compete against 17-year-olds from all over the world in Auckland, collects her first Australian tracksuit just a few hours before Monday’s event.

On Monday she will sit next to one of her favourite players, hooker Matty Ballin. Matty, along with skipper Matt Orford, is a keen water skier and they are amazed at Riley’s ability.

STEVE Menzies is gone but will not be forgotten by his teammates.

Manly’s entire touring squad will rush from a civic reception in Leeds two days before the World Club Challenge to cheer on the Beaver for the Bradford Bulls against the Huddersfield Giants in the English Super League.

Huddersfield are coached by former Dragons coach Nathan Brown.

Menzies has made an official request to be a “water boy” for the Sea Eagles against the Rhinos in the World Club Challenge game.

THE Manly Sea Eagles will join with the Manly Wharf Hotel to hold its official season-launch along with new major sponsor Quantum Eco Hot Water on Friday, March 6.

The Sea Eagles are quietly confident of displaying the World Club Challenge trophy alongside the Telstra Cup at the launch.

Tearaway Eagle
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/blindside13/

THE Sea Eagles’ annual players v staff cricket match is on next Friday with official umpires Peter “Zorba” Peters and new life member Warwick Bulmer under the hammer with some heavy bribes.

The players are boasting of a mystery tearaway bowler from the new buys while stonewall opener Alex Ross (head trainer) will head up the staff batting lineup.

Ross is still upset at being given out when caught while hitting a six last January.

Coach Des Hasler faces the fifth year in succession at being given out for boring batting.

Singe-ing praises
http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/blindside13/

MANLY’S dynamic premiership victory has resulted in massive interest in the club’s training methods from across the Tasman.

Head conditioner Donny Singe has been in constant demand from New Zealand league and rugby clubs about the now renowned Sea Eagles bone and muscle methods.

However, Singe has learned well under Des Hasler and is giving nothing away.

“I tell them all there is no secret formula other than lots of sweat and hard work ... unfortunately that’s not what they want to hear,” the former New Zealand navy seal said.

I am going tonight to Crusher's benefit night, I think I will enjoy the atmosphere and watching the reply again for the 25th time as it is a sell out it should be quite a successful  night.

Crushers wife use to be a regualr contributor to this forum so I am more than happy to assist the cause and hope she recovers well.

I'm heading along also - gotta dash straight from work......so won't be dressed up for the occassion.

Should be a great evening

please give her our best wishes on behalf of all of Silvertails. My apologies for non-attendance, it is only due to the distance between here and there

DVS Matt link said:
I'm heading along also - gotta dash straight from work......so won't be dressed up for the occassion.

Should be a great evening

You're always dressed up though handsome.

I'd love to go, but in similar circumstances to Dan, Terrigal happens to be a bit of a stone's throw.

No doubt it'll be an enjoyable, profitable evening.

Great night was had by all, excellent watching the game on the big screen.  More importanlty there was plenty of money raised via the raffle & the auctions.  The players were all there and some of them bought some of the auction items for pretty big dollars.

The idea to have kids sitting next to the players was excellent and there was plenty of opportunity to get autographs etc. 

The new guys were there, I think Chris Bailey wont be spending too much time at 5/8, he is a pretty big unit.

Not sure how much was raised but a guess would be $10k to $15k, from Crushers speech it sounds as though they are going through a pretty tough time.

The Wheel link said:
No Donkey

Did you introduce donkey to Michael robertson.  They could have provided the entertainment at intermission.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8