Sea Eagles 2019 Roster: What you need to know!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NRL Stats 2018

Kelly ( 22yoa) games played 24 Missed tackles 75 Errors 21 Penalties conceded 14
Suli (20yoa) games played 17 Missed tackles 20 Errors 14 Penalties conceded 3

How many of Suli's games were in FG against men? 15

I'm sure that didn't matter to you when biasing Kelly's stats as you are still beating the same tom tom but reality requires oranges to oranges comparisons.

Missed tackle stats in themselves are almost meaningless unless other parameters are taken into account...and they are not.

How many "missed tackles" enabled team mates to stop the attacker or prevent him passing the ball because the rmiss-tackler rush up on the opponent? There are other factors as well of course.

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm still not sold on this team at all...

Love what were doing with coaching/staff etc, but being 100% honest, I didn't rate the team in 2016,17 or 18, and still think, this team is just making up the numbers for a competition.. I think in a year or 2s time, 8-10 of that too 17 won't be here... Including a few big names... (tapau,tafua,sirronen and Prolly Api Imo will be gone) and THEN we will start a rebuild to success

Facts that validate my opinion that Kelly was also a MAJOR defensive issue in our back line .
The opposition teams targeted Suli and Kelly and had a field day with both mate .
In 2018 Kellys mediocre defensive efforts caused 22 tries and this was one of the reasons that I believe Des did not want to stay in his way .

The stats are for all to see .
NRL. COM
Among the others who need to brush up a little are Joey Leilua (21 in 24 games at 0.88 per game at the Canberra Raiders) and Manly Sea Eagles rookie Brian Kelly (20 in 22 at 0.91) who were actually second and third after Copley in terms of most total try causes for the season.

Full table in order of fewest try causes per game to most try causes:
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/01/19/the-best-and-worst-defensive-centres-in-the-nrl/
That article is from January, on the 2017 season. But anyhoo - we need quality three quarters badly.

How many of Suli's games were in FG against men? 15

I'm sure that didn't matter to you when biasing Kelly's stats as you are still beating the same tom tom but reality requires oranges to oranges comparisons.

Missed tackle stats in themselves are almost meaningless unless other parameters are taken into account...and they are not.

How many "missed tackles" enabled team mates to stop the attacker or prevent him passing the ball because the rmiss-tackler rush up on the opponent? There are other factors as well of course.
Kelly was one of the worst defenders he always got left grasping at air

That article is from January, on the 2017 season. But anyhoo - we need quality three quarters badly.
My apologies .
These are the 2018 stats

Kelly ( 22yoa) games played 24 Missed tackles 75 Errors 21 Penalties conceded 14

My apologies .
These are the 2018 stats

75 missed tackles.....

That's a, Shi't load of missed tackles by Kelly. I think Suli though generally gets a bad wrap for being a fat lazy fuk. People seem to forget he came to us after being grossly deconditioned and unmotivated at other clubs. He's taken his opportunities and whilst hasn't set the world on fire has shown commitment and determination to succeed. I'm hoping under Des' TEAM manly he's going to have a breakout year.
The kid Suli is also 20 years of age and has a lot of maturing to do .

1. Daly Cherry-Evans, 2. Cade Cust, 3. Kane Elgey, 4. Brendan Elliot, 5. Manase Fainu, 6. Addin Fonua-Blake, 7. Tevita Funa, 8. Reuben Garrick, 9. Jack Gosiewski, 10. Trent Hodkinson, 11. Albert Hopoate, 12. Semisi Kioa, 13. Api Koroisau, 14. Brad Parker, 15. Taniela Paseka, 16. Lloyd Perrett, 17. Toafofoa Sipley, 18. Curtis Sironen, 19. Moses Suli, 20. Kelepi Tanginoa, 21. Jorge Taufua, 22. Martin Taupau, 23. Joel Thompson, 24. Jake Trbojevic, 25. Tom Trbojevic, 26. Corey Waddell, 27. Dylan Walker, 28. Frank Winterstein
Have to agree about our squad being top heavy.
I count 16 or 17 who are not currently established as regular NRL players. Including 5 who haven't even debuted yet.
On the plus side we have 4 of the best players in the game (DCE, 2 x Turbos, and Marty) and another 3 who aren't far off that status (AFB, Api and Walker).
Our season will turn on luck with injury to key players, and the extent to which the coaching staff can develop the lesser lights.

There was no question that Kelly struggled with defence and it was a work in progress with him to develop his tackling style. But in 2018 if you thought which players in our backline were effective in attack, it was down to DCE, TT...and Kelly. They were the only three who were serious attacking weapons we had. Walker could have been but was out for much of the season and again Barrett tried him at 5/8 where he was less effective. Thing is defence can be taught, but attacking ability is a natural attribute. Croker, Parker, Matt Wright, Suli offered little in attack, and Taufua's main attribute was returning the ball and some forward like action on the first or second tackle. Only Kelly in the three quarters looked dangerous. And only Suli of the others I believe will improve significantly in years to come. I always felt Kelly was a pearl in the backline who just needed some good coaching to refine his defence. Look out for him at the Titans with some quite good halves. I suspect, unless we pick up Will Hoppa or Gutho, that we will rue losing him.

Kelly's side was targeted all season long which is no surprise ... I'd like to be the first to come out and say Manly's failure to make the finals 2018 was all his fault.

Kelly's side was targeted all season long which is no surprise ... I'd like to be the first to come out and say Manly's failure to make the finals 2018 was all his fault.
I am no Kelly fan but to say that Manly's failure to make the finals in 2018 was all Kellys fault is a bit over the top mate .

Kelly was good with the ball, no doubt. Amazing foot work. Had work to do on defence, maybe Dez would of fixed that over time but he is gone, wanted to leave. Suli wants to be here and obviously dez sees something in him as he pay a lot to get him to the dogs. Different player to Kelly, more robust. Could work out really well if dez can get his defence in order. Is a handful with the ball. Will help out with those tough carries like matai did. Like an extra forward. Carrying a few defenders with him.

I like our team, definitely should be playing finals. Just need dez to get the best out of Suli, Elgey, Siro, paeska, tanginoa, sipley to go with our rep players

But when we made the finals last year you forgot to mention your dissatisfaction with the team...?
Lol far from it.. I said I believe they over achieved all season and we're nothing but fodder in finals. Seeing a ****e team make finals once in 4 years only to make up the numbers is hardly a thing to gloat about..

It's just my opinion, and I'm more than happy to be disagreed with, but if we took the manly badge off this squad and slapped say, a tigers or penrith one on, not a single poster here would rate the team above 14th-13th spot.. There's a few top players surrounded by rubbish,rejects and unproven kids.. I see this season being more of the same as the last few, real change won't happen til atleast 2020

Last edited:
End of the day, I've come to the realization, Suli is here, Kelly isn't regardless of my feelings on the matter, so I'd better just go with it either way. Give him another shot.
I remember everyone (generalization) used to complain about Matai's early defense,but jeez, didn't he come good under Des Hasler, so there's that.

I wish these off season's weren't so long, so we could SEE, rather than guess. Hahahaha. Bring some Manly footy back. Haven't been this excited in ages.

Perhaps it will be a tough season, but at least the coach won’t come out and throw his hands in the air with petulant excuses like the other galah.
Des will coach to their strengths (or weaknesses) It won’t be pretty but we will be competitive.
If the culture is bought into, anything is possible.
If it helps, chase them around at training with a machete until they defend with some honour
I never saw us play with much honour last season one of our worst in the History of our club . We would put the white flag up and surrender games that were winnable .
Under Trent we were as submissive as a bitch on heat .
As a Manly supporter I never felt so unManly .

Perhaps it will be a tough season, but at least the coach won’t come out and throw his hands in the air with petulant excuses like the other galah.
Des will coach to their strengths (or weaknesses) It won’t be pretty but we will be competitive.
If the culture is bought into, anything is possible.
If it helps, chase them around at training with a machete until they defend with some honour
Fully agree mate. My post isn't about being negative, it's about being realistic.. Team still is Average, nothing's changed there, BUT I'm excited for next season now.. Love that Des is back, think he will improve what we have greatly, esp when it comes to our attitude.. Can't see this team all having a laugh after a 50 pt flogging at home under Hasler...

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8