Sea Eagles’ best 17: Pressure on the big three with depth to be tested

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Barrett failed to give Tom Wright, Hastings and Anderson a chance when we seriously needed some stimulus in the backline. You could see the latent talent with Wright with that try against St George. With Walker, Uate and Taupau out for much of the season, he decided to use the other Wright, an overweight Suli (he played quite well but was slow) and Parker. Its noted that in 2017 the three quarters were scoring most of the tries in the side. In 2018 it fell to DCE and TT and a couple of forwards. Kelly was the best in the three quarters scoring 7. The rest dropped away to low single figures.

Now Tom Wright may have some short comings, such as positioning for defence, and Anderson wasn't setting the world on fire in the Reggies, but both of these would have had far more impact in firsts on the wing, or maybe centre for T. Wright, than what we were seeing. It was obvious that our backline was pedestrian, and opposition teams were running around them. They needed speed. And then there was the Hastings debacle. How could you leave one of the few backline players with spark out of the game, because of a desire to punish. Hastings didn't lose anything. Manly did. When Hastings and Tom Wright were together in the Reggies, they sparked. So in response, yes there were three backline players there I would have had in first grade while Walker, Uate and Taufua were absent. At least the Workers almost made the semis

Suli played well? He & Parker were spot defenders. Opposition teams targetted them, when they wanted or needed tries, and were more often than not, successful. Daniel Tupou destroyed Suli at Brookvale, mate. Then you say, okay, his defense was poor, so let's focus on his attack. He must have been a try scoring machine. Bzzzzt, nothing to see here. So you think, maybe he made quite a few line-breaks, or went long distances. Again, nothing.

Suli played well? He & Parker were spot defenders. Opposition teams targetted them, when they wanted or needed tries, and were more often than not, successful. Daniel Tupou destroyed Suli at Brookvale, mate. Then you say, okay, his defense was poor, so let's focus on his attack. He must have been a try scoring machine. Bzzzzt, nothing to see here. So you think, maybe he made quite a few line-breaks, or went long distances. Again, nothing.

Ryan, read what I wrote again will you. I had already pointed out that the problem was in the backline, including with Suli. I also said that other teams ran around them and few tries were being scored outside of Kelly. All I was suggesting was that an 'overweight' Suli 'played quite well but was slow'. In general he played it tough and showed potential. But I wasn't suggesting a 19 year old was a match winner and I was suggesting that Tom Wright would have been a far better option alongside Kelly However I saw enough of Suli to suggest to me that he may come good and make a worthwhile centre, with the right coaching and loss of weight.

Well, we've all determined Hoppa can't. We have to assume Walker will be missing for a period.
Hoppa is on our 30 man NRL squad and he will be eligible when he turns 18 this season and the missing period about walker is not certain .
I have 2 teams for you
first with hoppa and walker

1. Hoppa
2 Jorge
3. Walker
4. Turbo
5 Suli

Without Walker and Hoppa

1. Elliott
2.Jorge
3. Turbo
4. Suli
5. Garric

Without seeing a trial blokes like Fanu may surprise . One thing for sure mate is that I would be very surprised if Des has them defending like the 2018 turnstiles .
Last season we were 2 points off the spoon and defensively we were not up to NRL standard . I doubt that we will emulate last seasons performance .

Just on young Hoppa ..... let's give him a chance to work his way up .... It is a fair step from u/18's to NRL .... a few elite do it easily ... but it is still a big step ...

For example, the following is a paragraph from the original article about the 17yo Suli signing a mega contract at a similar age, but with 2 u/20's games under his belt ...

"For most fans, Suli is the hottest young talent they have never heard of. But astute football judges are aware of his potential and were desperate for his signature.

Canterbury coach Des Hasler and Melbourne counterpart Craig Bellamy personally made pitches to sign Suli. However, the Tigers pulled off a coup via an unprecedented deal that also provides the 17-year-old with an upgrade for the current season."

... and we have all seen the difficulty Suli has had adjusting mentaly and physically ..... as I said, Hoppa like Will may do it easy ...... but let us also take it easy with our expectations ....

PSS ... it is interesting that Dessie was a fan ...

It’s actually not the top 17 I’m worried about , it’s the ability of the next 13 to fill in when they are injured!!

Remember last year the Dragons were on fire early, the reason their top 17 played game after game after game for about 3 months!!

THEN disaster struck and down the ladder they went.

It’s been our Achilles Heel for about 5 years and I don’t see much changing for this season.

I’d suggest that at the end of this year there’s going to be a massive clean out and massive recruitment drive, then and only then will Hasler get the team he wants.

It’s actually not the top 17 I’m worried about , it’s the ability of the next 13 to fill in when they are injured!!

Remember last year the Dragons were on fire early, the reason their top 17 played game after game after game for about 3 months!!

THEN disaster struck and down the ladder they went.

It’s been our Achilles Heel for about 5 years and I don’t see much changing for this season.

I’d suggest that at the end of this year there’s going to be a massive clean out and massive recruitment drive, then and only then will Hasler get the team he wants.
I see your point feathered friend . Lady luck plays a role on every team .

Ryan, read what I wrote again will you. I had already pointed out that the problem was in the backline, including with Suli. I also said that other teams ran around them and few tries were being scored outside of Kelly. All I was suggesting was that an 'overweight' Suli 'played quite well but was slow'. In general he played it tough and showed potential. But I wasn't suggesting a 19 year old was a match winner and I was suggesting that Tom Wright would have been a far better option alongside Kelly However I saw enough of Suli to suggest to me that he may come good and make a worthwhile centre, with the right coaching and loss of weight.
Understood.

I just don't think you can use both Taufua AND Suli in a backline next season, or we'll be getting the same result. I agree we need raw pace. People are saying Jade Anderson has Josh Addo-Carr pace (I don't see it, but people claim it). For that reason, I'd probably slot him in next to Walker. I'm okay with Taufua getting the start on the wing (with Hoppa to replace him when he turns 18).

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
04. Dylan Walker (hopefully)
05. Jade Anderson
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

I still think Des / Crusher has to pull a rabbit out of his hat like people claim he's going to. I'd be okay with that 3 spot going to Robert Jennings (or someone similar).

1. Elliott
2.Jorge
3. Turbo
4. Suli
5. Garric
Definitely not an elite backline like described @BOZO
20% right though,even whilst being glaringly out of position.

1. Elliott
2.Jorge
3. Turbo
4. Suli
5. Garric
Definitely not an elite backline like described @BOZO
I think you have miss quoted me there
This is what I posted ...

"We have quality match winning elite players in fist grade to do the job . A big improvement I can see is to function as a team"

To answer your question these are my quality and elite players ,,
The elite players
*Tom Torbo
*Walker
*DCE
*Kappow
*Jake Turbo
The quality players are
*Api
*AFB
*Thomo
*Sironen
The promising Young Hoppa can turn into anything . I have high hopes for him Suli , Fainu , Paseka , Waddel .Elgey
Des has no excuse . This is not bottom of the ladder wooden spoon squad . Far from it !!!

I think you have miss quoted me there
This is what I posted ...

"We have quality match winning elite players in fist grade to do the job . A big improvement I can see is to function as a team"

To answer your question these are my quality and elite players ,,
The elite players
*Tom Torbo
*Walker
*DCE
*Kappow
*Jake Turbo
The quality players are
*Api
*AFB
*Thomo
*Sironen
The promising Young Hoppa can turn into anything . I have high hopes for him Suli , Fainu , Paseka , Waddel .Elgey
Des has no excuse . This is not bottom of the ladder wooden spoon squad . Far from it !!!

We have the core players to build a premiership around. The last few years are a result of horrible coaching suffocating DCE. Was extremely frustrating to watch these quality players being used the wrong way.
We have a young squad with a good balence of rep expirence. Imo under the right structures there won't be any excuse to succeed with this squad.

We have the core players to build a premiership around. The last few years are a result of horrible coaching suffocating DCE. Was extremely frustrating to watch these quality players being used the wrong way.
We have a young squad with a good balence of rep expirence. Imo under the right structures there won't be any excuse to succeed with this squad.
I agree mate . Our squad is very much under rated and that is the way under the radar Des would like it

Black Town Workers [ in the games that i saw ] had some similar issues as the i st grade side last season in that they just could not string together a consistent eighty minutes and also marked by some quite lazy and ordinary defence at times . Tom Wright and Anderson were about their main match winner candidates and i st grade material . Also can only hope that a more professional and through coaching approach can get both grades to a much better competitive and consistent level for season 2019 ..
Agree with that assessment but would add Sipley and Amone....Sipley is a potential NRL interchange player , while Amore is a great NSW Cup player.
The Blacktown side when Hastings was in was competitive....but similar to top grade the past 2-3 years with 10 minute patches of pure disaster....

Understood.

I just don't think you can use both Taufua AND Suli in a backline next season, or we'll be getting the same result. I agree we need raw pace. People are saying Jade Anderson has Josh Addo-Carr pace (I don't see it, but people claim it). For that reason, I'd probably slot him in next to Walker. I'm okay with Taufua getting the start on the wing (with Hoppa to replace him when he turns 18).

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
04. Dylan Walker (hopefully)
05. Jade Anderson
06. Kane Elgey
07. Daly Cherry-Evans

I still think Des / Crusher has to pull a rabbit out of his hat like people claim he's going to. I'd be okay with that 3 spot going to Robert Jennings (or someone similar).

Anderson played full back for the Reggies last season. From what I saw he did OK but I also saw he ran well off Tom Wright. I think he's more suited on the wing. From the games I've seen him play, he is fast and tough, a good defender and safe under the high ball. Not sure he is Addo-Carr pace , but he knows where the try line is. He's related to Napper so he has good genes. He will be 22 later this month, so he needs to show he's ready. He'd be ideal outside of a centre like Walker, who knows how to use his wingman. In the open few would come close to him. Just hope he gets his chance in first grade

Agree with that assessment but would add Sipley and Amone....Sipley is a potential NRL interchange player , while Amore is a great NSW Cup player.
The Blacktown side when Hastings was in was competitive....but similar to top grade the past 2-3 years with 10 minute patches of pure disaster....

Actually on the few occasions Hastings was given time on the field in firsts, he sparked the team. He was everywhere and looked one of the few players who presented a danger to the opposition. Its not surprising that he is a hit in England and was the main reason his team, which was second division bound, managed to fight well when he came into the team at the end to stay in the top comp..

Ryan the squad we will have in 19 is pretty much what it is . I thought and am still hopeful that Hasler will do the miracle and snap someone up to fill in the odd hole . If not Manly will have to deal with what we have until a cleanout and cap restrictions have been lifted at the end of season 19 . So much to your dislike Suli will be playing a big part in Manlys plans this coming season , whether in the centres, wing or off the bench so try to embrace it man because the kid has alot of potential and I can't really understand why some can't see this . I think you will be surprised.

Ryan the squad we will have in 19 is pretty much what it is . I thought and am still hopeful that Hasler will do the miracle and snap someone up to fill in the odd hole . If not Manly will have to deal with what we have until a cleanout and cap restrictions have been lifted at the end of season 19 . So much to your dislike Suli will be playing a big part in Manlys plans this coming season , whether in the centres, wing or off the bench so try to embrace it man because the kid has alot of potential and I can't really understand why some can't see this . I think you will be surprised.
I can understand why Ryan cant see what supporters like me and you see what Suli is capable of as Suli was ordinary last season .
The ordinary perfomances by Suli can be contributed to his late arrival to our club as he was sacked by the Dogs and missed a big part of the pre season training as well as playing over weight and in a dysfunctionally coached team .

I can understand why Ryan cant see what supporters like me and you see what Suli is capable of as Suli was ordinary last season .
The ordinary perfomances by Suli can be contributed to his late arrival to our club as he was sacked by the Dogs and missed a big part of the pre season training as well as playing over weight and in a dysfunctionally coached team .
Did CoCo boof your missus Fruit Loops?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4