Sea Eagles’ best 17: Pressure on the big three with depth to be tested

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Key to success .....
"But what might prove most important is the return of Des Hasler.
Over his coaching career with the Sea Eagles and Bulldogs, Hasler has steered his teams to the finals in 12 of his 14 seasons."
KeyToSuccess.jpeg

Thats a pretty decent side if they show up under Des.

I have to believe that they will be:
  1. fitter under Donny
  2. better organized under Des
  3. Better defensively ( well they couldn't be a lot worse could they?)
  4. more attacking because of the organization
  5. I really do believe that our big guys will take a huge step forward this year. Im expecting to see a lot of what Des did with the dogs in those first few years.
  6. not as injury prone
  7. better for not having TB around( sorry had to slip that in)
  8. We will unearth a superstar in young Albert Hoppa. I recon he could even start the season on the wing.
Dont get me wrong there will be some pain in the short term while the side gels but the good times will return.

1. fitter under Donny
  5. I really do believe that our big guys will take a huge step forward this year. Im expecting to see a lot of what Des did with the dogs in those first few years.
  6. not as injury prone
  8. We will unearth a superstar in young Albert Hoppa. I recon he could even start the season on the wing.
Dont get me wrong there will be some pain in the short term while the side gels but the good times will return.
Sounds good to me !!!
A more experienced and proven coach will definetly give the team a new direction . We were heading south towards the spoon last season and the only way is up under Des

1. fitter under Donny
  6. not as injury prone
Hoppa isn't 18 til mid year so no chance in hell he starts the season. Maybe around origin time

Hoppa will see little if any NRL action in 2019 imo.

I reckon Corey Waddell, Tevita Funa and Reuben Sandwich will be there when the whips a cracking for Round 1

Still think that Garrick in particular will be a front runner for an outside back starting spot , like Funa looks to have the attacking ability but also hopefully will be able to adapt to the i st grade defensive requirements . Sipley and even Frank Winterstein with some improved fitness level could also push for inclusion in a match day 17 .And Perrett seems the forgotten man in many respects, be good also if he can lift his effort and playing input

Hoppa will see little if any NRL action in 2019 imo.

I reckon Corey Waddell, Tevita Funa and Reuben Sandwich will be there when the whips a cracking for Round 1
Just as a matter of interest why do you think the brilliant Hoppa who many believe is the best pedigree of all the Hoppas will be seen little in 2019 ?

Just as a matter of interest why do you think the brilliant Hoppa who many believe is the best pedigree of all the Hoppas will be seen little in 2019 ?
N R L have the current policy of players not being eligible for i st grade until their 18 th birthday . About mid year in young Hoppa "s case i think , Looks like he is a really good prospect though so the sooner the better for him in Manly i st grade for sure when the opportunity presents itself .

A few reasons;

1. Lacks experience in any form of Senior Football including U20s
  2. Didn’t play a game last season
  3. Coming back from an ACL
  4. A well placed source suggested exactly that to me
The young chap can certainly play and will be there and abouts in 2020 - he might surprise and debut but I doubt it unless we are struck down by massive injuries

A few reasons;

The young chap can certainly play and will be there and abouts in 2020 - he might surprise and debut but I doubt it unless we are struck down by massive injuries

Pretty good summation Wheel. he has certainly got a challenge ahead ...... they must think he is a chance if he is taking up a spot in the 30 .... good luck to the kid ....

Generally i see our team with just a little more grit in 2019. I do not imagine the mental headspace of the team was conducive to team
The whole barrett saga has way more implications
Probably by round 8 or 10 , probablyearlier Barrett had the feelers put there at a minimum for a new job. Now as coachy buddy to the players and with the booze flowing between all staff levels its had to believe there was no chat internally amongst the circle of trust, many who have been vocal in support since. If this is true its pretty poor environment for young impressionable future super stars and ver un manly like

As players fell with injury and all the **** that was covered like hastings, releases and a rap sheet a mile long in clubland i very much doubt manly were too united at all

I expect a one in all in approach by des will probably crack a few eggs early on
Players expectations will be clear and united . I expect we will lose a fair few next year from players who dont sing to the song sheet

As many others have noted i expect the players roles to be defined and they will be held accountable to the expectations

I think we will see improvement in manlys resolve. I expect that they will be competitive in all matches but im not sure how that will transform into competition points.

Even though the squad in quite stable they need to get back to the basics. Let centres get the ball, stop flogging tommy and kick with a consistent purpose. I still see the young team in a learning phase on how to control a game and compete week in week out in the NRL. Leadership doesnt seem to be well harnessed within the group at any real level

I think jorge will be better than expected under des and will feel settled. In the limited game time he saw He looked like quiet stalwart who probably felt pressured to step up.

But cherry and elgy have to get it together. They need to be selective with tom or manly suffer. The halves have to use walker and help nurture another centre and winger from the youn g crop so its important that the halves stand up, get along, and are the start of the resurgence

Until the spine learns to work the team around the park manly still struggles. Better service from the 9 , a considered game by the 6 and 7 and a selective approach with tommy thus needing to find other options . Then play to the strengths of those options and Manly will progress

I think we will lose a lot of close ones , struggle to make the 8 , maybe sneak in with luck if our curse gets transferred to a few other teams , but this will be a clensing year . Players will be moved on again and the young team will be taught how to play NRL. Its seemed pretty obvious last year manly was going backward fast in that area in particular. The team looked like it was playing catch up from about round 5

A few reasons;

Who ever the well placed source is it is certainly not Des that suggets this as he has him in the top 30 . Why waste the spot if he wont be considered .
1. If a young player has NRL ability then NRL experienced will be offered .
2. Did not play a game last season and he will be as fresh as a daisy and raring to go
3. Coming back from an ACL ? By the time he turns 18 aprx mid season he will have been well and truly recovered .
The positives out weigh any negatives .
Off the front foot and over the fence for a six ;)

Maybe Des will have him on the bench towards the end of the year and play him for 3 or 4 minutes a game. Like he did with Buhrer.

N R L have the current policy of players not being eligible for i st grade until their 18 th birthday . About mid year in young Hoppa "s case i think , Looks like he is a really good prospect though so the sooner the better for him in Manly i st grade for sure when the opportunity presents itself .
As soon as he blows out his 18 th birthday candles he will be running on to the field mate ;)

Maybe Des will have him on the bench towards the end of the year and play him for 3 or 4 minutes a game. Like he did with Buhrer.
In the Buhrer era we were not lacking in depth like we are this season and I think that Hoppa will get more game time and sooner

The rising star

Albert Hopoate. The word out of the northern beaches is Albert is the best of the Hopoate clan yet, and a superstar in the making.

The soon-to-be 18-year-old brother of Bulldogs veteran Will has been impressing all and sundry throughout a junior career chock-full of rep honours.

A powerful and elusive back, Hopoate has shone in both rugby, Rugby Sevens and league at schoolboy level and played for the NSW Blues in the under 16s and 18s.

With the Sea Eagles lacking depth in the back five positions, it’s likely he’ll get a taste of first-grade in 2019.

In the Buhrer era we were not lacking in depth like we are this season and I think that Hoppa will get more game time and sooner

Not if Des is the same old Des. I can remember us really struggling in games and screaming at the TV..."Put Jamie on! Why won't he use him???".

If we weren't struggling back then....why did he name him in the starting sides?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4