The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He looks burnt out for sure, but understandable. Rookie season, a long one, playing out of position. A whole heap of defensive workload he isn't used and he jumps straight into it in first grade.

Disagree in benching Schuster.

We already have an injection after 25 minutes. That is Walker.

Schuster is doing just fine in the 2nd row. It also sends out the wrong message to the young kid, no matter how nicely it may be put.

Watch for some nice touches this weekend against Souths.

He isnt done anything flashy but everyone said he needed to cut his mistakes. Hes taken less riskier players and has cut his mistakes. Hes put on a bit of size as hes in the second row which he may even play next season if Foran stays (which he will).

Schuster is doing just fine in the 2nd row. It also sends out the wrong message to the young kid, no matter how nicely it may be put.

That may well be so ... but your entire point is predicated on your thought that Schuster wants to play 80 min grinding away in the 2nd row ... it may well be that when told his role would be changing he would cry hallelujah Saint Sebastian!

That may well be so ... but your entire point is predicated on your thought that Schuster wants to play 80 min grinding away in the 2nd row ... it may well be that when told his role would be changing he would cry hallelujah Saint Sebastian!

Well he's two wins away from a GF victory in his first full year of first grade.

So suck it up and no being a pouty puss!

As for benching. Probably not. I did see him throw another slick no look pass to Reuben so if there is an 'issue', hoping the coaches have the man mgt skills to sort things out.

Is he carrying a lower back injury?

They can be very taxing on your energy levels & could also prevent him from full cardio training, resulting in the extra padding & looking fatigued onfield.

Well he's two wins away from a GF victory in his first full year of first grade.

So suck it up and no being a pouty puss!

As for benching. Probably not. I did see him throw another slick no look pass to Reuben so if there is an 'issue', hoping the coaches have the man mgt skills to sort things out.

I started the thread by acknowledging ... that if it ain't broke, don't fix it ... Nobody is saying there is a problem ... or criticizing the Schu ... it is simply a discussion based on whether we are getting the best out of him .... and would said change be good for both he and the team

Some people have trouble following a simple thought though ...

Looks like he needs a shot of confidence. He's doing his job but looks a bit slow and fatigued, and maybe carrying a few too many kilos.

Don't see Desmond changing it for this year (we are a week away from a GF after all) but in the off-season we need to think about how he is best used in the squad, be it a second rower or roving lock forward. Maybe he just needs a great off-season and come back re-energised.

Not going to be too criticial as he still has enormous potential.

Has been flat since he came back from injury. All this is expected from his 1st full season of rigorous NRL footy but next pre season I can see him getting into shape and adding some muscle. 👍

I think this is one of those ones that we probably dont have enough insight to see how Josh is going and how he’d react coming off the bench

I like it tho - souths will attack our left side i think Karl is a bit more enthusiastic in defence, and it’d give josh some more energy for attack

I’d be starting Lawton, but as we all know, in Des we trust. I’d still play Josh for 60 mins just maybe he would do well to miss the first 20.

He seems a bit unfit compared to the rest of the boys after a full season of footy

Disagree in benching Schuster.

We already have an injection after 25 minutes. That is Walker.

Watch for some nice touches this weekend against Souths.
This is a good point

Woodsie is correct. The Shoe has become a decent defensive second rower but we all know he has the potential to be a game-breaker. I hope he is not having the creativity coached out of him. For me, he and Guaca can be the X-factors in our pack that none of the other packs possess. If we use both as defensive second rowers then all packs have such players.
I've been wondering for the past month if the change in the way The Shoe is playing is his fear of making mistakes. I've always said that The Shoe should be given the latitude to play what is in front of him, knowing that it would result in some errors. He is the best ball-player I've seen for a kid so young.

The issue is quite clear, and is simply that now the Schu is on the other foot.
More seriously, a big learning curve for the kid this year and he's made massive strides. Because of what he's doing and the first grade grounding he's getting this year I'm sure we'll see him hit his full potential in coming seasons.
True he hasn't been starring with sleight of hand in recent times but don't worry he still has that special ability and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we see a special move from him this week... or next!

Schuster plays where Des tells him to play and what's good for the team.

And you are living in fairyland thinking any NRL player would want to come off the bench in preference to starting.

For weeks people were saying he was over playing his hand at the wrong time. Come to the back end of the season he has reeled this in when we needed to win and played hard, taking the hit ups when needed.

Obviously fatigue is a factor going through a full season, but I think more he doesn't want to make mistakes.

This will be good for him come next year. Skill and potential is still there, but now you add a full season, big game experience and more selectivity on his plays. Could be a big year next year, but if he is gonna be a play maker long term, he can't be pegged in the gifty mould for too long.

20 run metres last week.
40 run metres this week.
Looking back at photos from early season he is clearly carrying a few extra kg.
Lost confidence and almost looks confused out there. Do or die semi final, im making the big call to bench him 100%
Lets be honest if Lewis Brown was playing as Schuster has the past 6 weeks, he'd be getting whipped left right and centre.
People arguing saying he is playing a typical 2nd row role is also incorrect! The typical backrower runs hard and hits holes, Schuster is doing neither!

20 run metres last week.
40 run metres this week.
Looking back at photos from early season he is clearly carrying a few extra kg.
Lost confidence and almost looks confused out there. Do or die semi final, im making the big call to bench him 100%
Lets be honest if Lewis Brown was playing as Schuster has the past 6 weeks, he'd be getting whipped left right and centre.
People arguing saying he is playing a typical 2nd row role is also incorrect! The typical backrower runs hard and hits holes, Schuster is doing neither!

Schuster had the 2nd highest number of tackle breaks last night, behind Turbo, but in front of everyone else.

Nobody wants this Ferrari 2nd rower doing hit ups just so guys like you can look and marvel at the metre stats. Comparing him to Lewis Brown is plain anti Manly.

You watch, those tackle breaks will lead to try assists sooner than later.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6