Sandwiches wrapped in foil & Ross Windshuttle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yep, they were the days.
Sunday arvo's with the old man & bros going to the footy, even sitting on the bike track at Lidcombe in my Manly gear - dad was a Magpie man - hoping to see myself on the tv that night.
I think they used to number the jerseys from 1st grade down so the fullback in ressies was like #14 or something like that and U23's had players numbered up to 40 something including subs. Ressies had to play at least half a game to qualify for 1sts ( I think !)
I could go on & on...and as the Kerrigans say "aahh how's the serenity"
Thanks Wook, sanity prevails, this may just make us feel all warm and fuzzy inside because f@#k know's WE DESERVE IT!

I remember going to every home game we could, the whole family... Some of the best days of my life... Then staying at Ron Morris's little flat at DDs with my sisters and his kids whilst mum and dad got blotto with "uncle Ron" and co... Footy training on the oval near the high school and nippers at North Curly in summer..

Great times :)

bob dylan said:
I remember the sellers yelling "Peanuts - In their shell or sugar coated"

"20 cent - Peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated - 20 cent - Peanuts"

Can hear it, accent and all, like it was said this afternoon.

And I'd hang on every word written in the papers. Sunday morning sport sections were a joy of the week. The journalists back then had integrity. They brought joy to watching the game, reviewing the game. They reported facts, with a positive tone. They wondered at the excellence, speed, skill and courage of the players.

Nowadays most media are nothing more than cheap gossip columnists, shockjocks, cash-for-comment dealers, and rednecks. They surely aim to bring despair and misery into our lives. Thank you Rupert Murdoch, and your News of the World reporting standards and ethics.

To recapture the feelings we had as kids, rule number one is to distrust EVERYTHING reported by the media. Better still, totally ignore it.

^^^ (lol)

Gawd, I'm in here with a bunch of old farts!!!!!

kidding :D

and don't forget the sunscreen (song reference)

Great opening post and I also enjoyed reading the others memories as well.

I remember back from 76 onwards I would get up really early on Sunday morning and head off to anywhere in Sydney (first meet up with other 11 & 12 year olds at North Sydney Station) to try to be the first at the gates before they opened. It was up to a few to reserve the seats for all the other Manly cheer squad. Lyle, the cheerleader, always turned up later.

I remember always travelling and sitting with Pam Burridige and Jane Morris to the games and hoping one day one of them would be my girlfriend. They always chose my mates and not me :^(

I remember being at a Manly v Jack Gibson coached Souths game in a preseason match back in 76 or 77, and the guy doing the kick off did an incredible kick along the ground and it popped up after only travelling 10metres for a Souths guy to catch it and score. I thought, why haven't we seen that before.

I remember the day the Manly cheers squad got shafted out of the bottom three rows of the Jane Try stand and having to move over to the Southern Stand... and then being forced to the side of that stand.

I'm sure the guy yelling peanuts is still doing it and says 'penis' by mistake.

Ahh, the beautiful memories; may they live forever. The problem is we all grew up and learnt too much, rather than merely loving our heroes who ran around the park.

As yet another old fart, this was a terrific post, as acknowledge by all. I remember from around 1960, and a working crew having to clean up the cow pats left from the previous week's Brookie Show. And I remember collecting bottles and redeeming them for three pence (I think) each.

Rex said:
bob dylan said:
I remember the sellers yelling "Peanuts - In their shell or sugar coated"

"20 cent - Peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated - 20 cent - Peanuts"

Can hear it, accent and all, like it was said this afternoon.

And I'd hang on every word written in the papers. Sunday morning sport sections were a joy of the week. The journalists back then had integrity. They brought joy to watching the game, reviewing the game. They reported facts, with a positive tone. They wondered at the excellence, speed, skill and courage of the players.

Nowadays most media are nothing more than cheap gossip columnists, shockjocks, cash-for-comment dealers, and rednecks. They surely aim to bring despair and misery into our lives. Thank you Rupert Murdoch, and your News of the World reporting standards and ethics.

To recapture the feelings we had as kids, rule number one is to distrust EVERYTHING reported by the media. Better still, totally ignore it.

It's funny how things stick in your mind.
That peanut vendor was named Tony from memory, he only had one hand. I can clearly recall his voice saying Peanuts-Sugar coated peanuts or peanuts in the shell 20cents.

I remember having a fight with a guy over a corner post and we continued the fight the next day at Narrabeen boy's High..lol

Wook said:
I remember when I was younger, sitting in the Southern Stand (the now Fulton-Menzies) feet over the railings (clearly well before advertising boards and OH&S).

I loved watching the U/23's, Reserve Grade and obviously First Grade. I remember watching Ross Windshuttle in reserves and wondering why he wasn't playing First Grade?

I remember being part of the then, Eagle Army (before reserve seating where all gathered in that stand except the roped off area which was patrolled by a man in a white coat).

I remember watching half time entertainment, a gentleman throwing a boomerang between the goal posts.

I remember the guy walking around selling sugar coated peanuts.

I remember being able to tell my Mum who the reserves from Reserve Grade playing firsts were because they already had dirty jumpers.

I remember my Mum's sandwiches wrapped in foil.

I remember the walk down the hill (where the Ken Arthurson Stand is now) on a rainy afternoon after the game hoping not to slip.

I remember waving my flag.

What I can't remember is any politics, media, etc etc!

My point.......Whatever is happening, whatever will happen, it's incumbent on all of us to ensure the,"little people" who love Manly, who love wearing their jersey, waving their flag, who love their, "sandwiches wrapped in foil", being with us, are unaffected by this current situation.

With all that's going on, let's remember what we can control..The kids who still love Manly (as do we)!

HooRoo

i remember those days too the boomerang thrower was steve dodds a real gentleman. all those days were great players had jobs as well as training and were dedicated to the game and club first grade , reserve grade and under 23s they were the days lets hope that the nrl brings back 3 grades some time as this was great entertainment starting at 11am 1pm and 3pm games played in daylight and the only night games were the mid week cups its great to remember these days but unfortunatly super league stuffed it all up. manly forever

My grandfather used to watch all the games outside the caravan in the north west corner with all the smokers. Never sat down to watch.
I was always on the southern hill above the old tunnel.
The quiet "peanuts, peanuts"
And the guy who used to sell sun visors "instant relief!"
Stevie the boomerang guy was a legend.
Still have a corner post (part of) from a South's game from the early eighties.

I will always be a supporter no matter what.
League is a buiness now and things like this will happen.
(I'm a football club member and will use my vote wisely!)

PS and Yes, Sooty is a Legend!

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8