Sandwiches wrapped in foil & Ross Windshuttle

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Wook

I remember when I was younger, sitting in the Southern Stand (the now Fulton-Menzies) feet over the railings (clearly well before advertising boards and OH&S).

I loved watching the U/23's, Reserve Grade and obviously First Grade. I remember watching Ross Windshuttle in reserves and wondering why he wasn't playing First Grade?

I remember being part of the then, Eagle Army (before reserve seating where all gathered in that stand except the roped off area which was patrolled by a man in a white coat).

I remember watching half time entertainment, a gentleman throwing a boomerang between the goal posts.

I remember the guy walking around selling sugar coated peanuts.

I remember being able to tell my Mum who the reserves from Reserve Grade playing firsts were because they already had dirty jumpers.

I remember my Mum's sandwiches wrapped in foil.

I remember the walk down the hill (where the Ken Arthurson Stand is now) on a rainy afternoon after the game hoping not to slip.

I remember waving my flag.

What I can't remember is any politics, media, etc etc!

My point.......Whatever is happening, whatever will happen, it's incumbent on all of us to ensure the,"little people" who love Manly, who love wearing their jersey, waving their flag, who love their, "sandwiches wrapped in foil", being with us, are unaffected by this current situation.

With all that's going on, let's remember what we can control..The kids who still love Manly (as do we)!

HooRoo

i remember the bloke with the cowboy hat who every 10 minutes right on cue would shout defense manly TACKLE !!!!!!!!

great days and great post mate

Best post i've read in ages.

I remember all those things too.

I'm just as passionate now as i was when i was 16 and catching the train and bus from Liverpool to get to brookie at 9am when the gates opened because we had a big game against parra and i wanted the seats next to the players.

That was in 1980, i'll be there cheering until my last breath as it's always about the club, not one individual.

I remember singing
we live by the seaside in a house of bricks

sitting on the hill with a radio on a Saturday afternoon listening to the races while watching the lower grades

I remember sliding down the hill on cardboard at half time and waiting out the back of the sheds for an autograph.

Beaut post Woof brought back all those same memories for me as well. Where has it all gone the true meaning of going to the footy with your mates and your family and great memories of growing up. Now its politics ,bickering and media bull**** destroying everything about this club I have loved for nearly 40 yrs and will love till i die. **** these people they need to realise this isn't their club, they dont own it, they are just caretakers for past and future generations to enjoy. They are killing a living breathing entity that so many people channel so many emotions into. It makes me cry to see this club being torn apart by egos,greed and stubborn stupidity.

lloydy said:
I remember those sugar coated nuts, thanks mate, great post.

I remember the sellers yelling "Peanuts - In their shell or sugar coated"

I remember getting close to the cage to watch Randall, Eadie and Fulton run on.

And I remember getting spat on coming out of Lidcombe Oval after Tom Raudonikis' 200th game.

I remember the dude sitting infront of us on the hill smoking dope and it blowing all over us kids

Thanks so much for this post, this is a breath of fresh air after all the hostile air and a reminder of why we all love this club.

• 👍
Reactions: Fro
I remember the first match back from suspension for Boydy, against Parramatta. There was a minute silence for someone who had passed away and about 30 seconds in someone yelled "on ya Boydy"!!

I think he got sent off again in the first 5 minutes for taking Pat Jarvis out!!

Great memories!

2012 - back to back

great post - boomerang guy was steve dodd, total legend. Also loved sooty windshuttle - I remember when they played Wests that day at the height of the fibro era and orange Krillich called 13 (code for all in)before the first scrum, poor Sooty was on the blindside wing closest to the scrum and nearly sh*t himself

Yep great post Wook.
I too wish I had the ignorance of my 5yo who is totally oblivious to all this BS.

I remember sitting under the scoreboard corner in the 80's and making a made dash for the corner post.

I also remember bellowing at the top of my voice during a scrum against Parramatta, Go Manly and then hearing myself on tele that night. I was stoked.

Thanks again Wook

I remember the mid 70's before the Southern Stand was built. Still remember getting pies from the northern end caravan and in shock when I saw mushy peas for the first time. And you are right, can't remember any bitchin' within the club going on and on and on. After Round 1 in 1974, the newspapers went on that the players were sniping at each other in that first match of the season after losing to Norths. If I remember correct, Manly came up with a big win in Round 2 and won a few on the trot. No more bitchin'.
Bring on the new season, it will be the only way to fight back.
I thought the same about Sooty Windschuttle, always gave 100%. I watched a reserve grade game the other day with him in it and he certainly was a handful for the opposition.

i remember kicking a footie in Narabeen Park with the then australian five eight Allan Thompson, like it was an every day of the week thing......

QldEagle01 said:
i remember kicking a footie in Narabeen Park with the then australian five eight Allan Thompson, like it was an every day of the week thing......

Nice 1:)

In the beginning my whole family used to go to Brookie and sit on a blanket on the hill.
Mum lasted about 3 matches before she declared she wouldn't go anymore because my Dad's loud one-eyed referee abuse was too embarrassing for her.
It ended up being just Dad and the kids. Love my family heaps and am ever grateful to Dad for inheriting the Sea Eagles.

bob dylan said:
lloydy said:
I remember those sugar coated nuts, thanks mate, great post.

I remember the sellers yelling "Peanuts - In their shell or sugar coated"

I getting close to the cage to watch Randall, Eadie and Fulton run on.

And I remember getting spat on coming out of Lidcombe Oval after Tom Raudonikis' 200th game.
BD was that the match where spectaters were allowed on the running track due to the fullhouse capacity of the ground.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7