Samantha in strife (and medical retirement rorts)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Surely the medical insurance was knocked back. Hence souths having to pay the contract out by hiring him for the next ten years or so to make the money he should have gotten from the medical retirement..
As the 'new injury' turns out to be the infection caused by Sambo's last operation on the shoulder no insurer would pay.

Hence a 10 year 360k job at Rabbids to have Sambo's remaining 3 year contract monies :wondering:

People .... there seems to be a far amount of misunderstanding here .... according to the tele today ... the relevant facts are ...

.. On medical advice .. the NRL has deemed his injury to be new since his last contract .... so have approved his medical retirement and the payout not part of the salary cap .....this means that Souths still have to pay Sam his $3.6 mil whether he takes an ambassodor role or not .... so this is NOT a salary cap rort by Souths

The interesting point here is that the paper is suggesting that the 10 year job is simply a way of spreading the payout over 10 years instead of 3 .... I have NFI why Sam would even contemplate that ... but ...

The big issue by ommission is no mention of an Insurance company payout .... if Souths still have to pay him themselves .... I assume that means either he wasn't insured ... or the insurance company have said you're dreaming .....

Greenturd is determined to engineer a Souths Roosters grand final. We robbed him of it in 2013 and were punished for our interference. He will keep bending the rules in favour of these two teams till he gets them into the big dance together. I can only imagine he things a Rabbits Roosters grand final would be the ratings bonanza that would justify his destruction of the game.

People .... there seems to be a far amount of misunderstanding here .... according to the tele today ... the relevant facts are ...

.. On medical advice .. the NRL has deemed his injury to be new since his last contract .... so have approved his medical retirement and the payout not part of the salary cap .....this means that Souths still have to pay Sam his $3.6 mil whether he takes an ambassodor role or not .... so this is NOT a salary cap rort by Souths

Wait... lost me. I understand they still have to pay him (or someone does) but it's the fact the payments now don't count towards the cap that make me think it is a rort.

If you're saying: it's not a rort because of the 'independent medical advice' then ok, but I have my doubts how independent it is.

eg: Souffs doc rings a doc mate... 'can you do this for us?' Do we get to know who the doc is?

And ok, I'm making a lot of assumptions/presumption but that's my overall problem with the nrl.

I do believe it was a pre existing condition, based on his 4000000 previous ops, and I do believe his salary should be part of the cap as snakes and matais were. The nrl telling me it was independent medical advice doesn't sway me as I don't believe in the transparency or integrity of their processes anymore.

edit - If one is happy to accept the nrl on face value, then one would believe it is not a rort, for sure. Which I think that's what you're saying...(?)

Wait... lost me. I understand they still have to pay him (or someone does) but it's the fact the payments now don't count towards the cap that make me think it is a rort.

Sorry ... I sometimes have articulation misfunction associated with dialectic materialism .....

What I mean is the job offer is not a rort ... in other words ... if the $3.6 million is OFF the salary cap and Souths have to pay it anyway .... the job offer is irrelevant to the salary cap issue ...

Sorry ... I sometimes have articulation misfunction associated with dialectic materialism .....

What I mean is the job offer is not a rort ... in other words ... if the $3.6 million is OFF the salary cap and Souths have to pay it anyway .... the job offer is irrelevant to the salary cap issue ...
Disagree with the 'unrelated' part.

Both GI and Sambo get their monies by their job reassignment to free up the Rabbids' Salary Cap - that is the rort that other Clubs didn't receive :wait:

The reason for the 10 year job @globaleagle is that there is a 6 million dollar Cap on Football Operations now too.
So paying Sambo $3.6 million would halve the Rabbids salary in that department.

You can bet that both GI and Sambo will quietly get paid out earlier and cite mental/marital issues to leave Redfern @:cool:

But this is the reality that the financially strong Clubs enjoy whilst other Clubs have to play with reduced squads :nerd:

The reason for the 10 year job @globaleagle is that there is a 6 million dollar Cap on Football Operations now too.
So paying Sambo $3.6 million would halve the Rabbids salary in that department.

If the NRL has ruled that Sam's $3.6 mil is salary cap exempt ..... then that is the end of it as far as appearing on any of Souths departments ...... surely the only way any monies would be eligle to appear on Souths football cap is IF Sam accepts ajob and is paid money in addition to the $3.6 that has been exempted ....

Are you saying that although salary cap exempt ... the payout still forms part of the Football club cap ??

and how does an insurance payout .. or not .... effect this ??

If the NRL has ruled that Sam's $3.6 mil is salary cap exempt ..... then that is the end of it as far as appearing on any of Souths departments ...... surely the only way any monies would be eligle to appear on Souths football cap is IF Sam accepts ajob and is paid money in addition to the $3.6 that has been exempted ....

Are you saying that although salary cap exempt ... the payout still forms part of the Football club cap ??

and how does an insurance payout .. or not .... effect this ??
Sambo's job is part of the Football Ops so it is paid out of that cap hence the need to spread it over 10 years.
The point is to get the impaired player off the roster and sign a healthy young gun

The insurance is not part of the NRL ruling in any case. NRL requires their own doctor to merely say if an injury is new or pre existing, they don't ask for the player's Insurer to do so.

If you recall that Choc was rejected by the Insurer too yet the NRL deemed it a new injury @:cool:

Rabbids may get something from the Insurer if they pursue it further and any monies they receive will just help their bottom line but they're commited to paying Sambo the contract value he signed up for last year

Sambo's job is part of the Football Ops so it is paid out of that cap hence the need to spread it over 10 years.

That gets back to my original point .... if his $3.6 has been ruled salary cap exempt ..... they have to pay him the money without any cap penalty ..... why is he being offered a job anyway .... for what purpose . ??? ....

That gets back to my original point .... if his $3.6 has been ruled salary cap exempt ..... they have to pay him the money without any cap penalty ..... why is he being offered a job anyway .... for what purpose . ??? ....
OMG :tmi: Sorry @Woodsie you sweet innocent but it's simply using other people's money to get the result you want.

No Club wants to use their hard earned revenue to spend on staffing. So they use the 13mil NRL grant to operate if they can.

The NRL divvies up the 1.8 billion to 13+ million for each Franchise.

Then they set the 2 Caps for onfield staff (players) at 9+ million and from 2020 for off field football related staff at 5.7 million - it's arbitrary but they own the master Franchise :nerd:

The purpose therefore is to drip feed Sambo from the NRL teat at no cost to Souths. His reasons for not insisting on a lump sum payout as per his contract would involve taxation, divorce etc

NRL - Football Club Salary Cap $5.7 million (Non Players)

OMG :tmi: Sorry @Woodsie you sweet innocent but it's simply using other people's money to get the result you want.

No Club wants to use their hard earned revenue to spend on staffing. So they use the 13mil NRL grant to operate if they can.

The NRL divvies up the 1.8 billion to 13+ million for each Franchise.

Then they set the 2 Caps for onfield staff (players) at 9+ million and from 2020 for off field football related staff at 5.7 million - it's arbitrary but they own the master Franchise :nerd:

The purpose therefore is to drip feed Sambo from the NRL teat at no cost to Souths. His reasons for not insisting on a lump sum payout as per his contract would involve taxation, divorce etc

NRL - Football Club Salary Cap $5.7 million (Non Players)

OK ... thanks ... that now starts to make sense to me .....

However it does raise another interesting point ..... sorry ..... my sweet innocent mind at work .... so we have a situation whereby the original $3.6 is paid out of a grant by the NRL ... then the NRL rule that through no fault of Souths that the $3.6 will no longer be required to be part of the salary cap .... but they then don't increase the grant by that amount and make the club pay it out of their own funds ...

I wonder how many "medical retirements" the NRL would approve if they then had to raise that clubs Salary grant by the corresponding amount ..??

The rort is that clubs like Souffs are signing injury prone veterans to high priced, long term contracts despite (or knowing) there being every possibility that those players won't see out the whole term. And the problem is that the NRL is letting them medically retire those players which is allowing them to go and sign some other gun.

It happened with 1nglis, its now happened with Burgess. They managed to replace 1nglis with James Roberts and its likely that they'll get Jai Arrow to replace Burgess. They are being rewarded by the NRL for rorting the system when other clubs, such as Manly with Stewart and Matai, had to suffer.

The rort is that clubs like Souffs are signing injury prone veterans to high priced, long term contracts despite (or knowing) there being every possibility that those players won't see out the whole term. And the problem is that the NRL is letting them medically retire those players which is allowing them to go and sign some other gun.

It happened with 1nglis, its now happened with Burgess. They managed to replace 1nglis with James Roberts and its likely that they'll get Jai Arrow to replace Burgess. They are being rewarded by the NRL for rorting the system when other clubs, such as Manly with Stewart and Matai, had to suffer.
It’s the “ Manly Loading”, everyone laughs when you say this but we definitely cop it!!

The interesting point here is that the paper is suggesting that the 10 year job is simply a way of spreading the payout over 10 years instead of 3 .... I have NFI why Sam would even contemplate that ... but ...

The big issue by ommission is no mention of an Insurance company payout .... if Souths still have to pay him themselves .... I assume that means either he wasn't insured ... or the insurance company have said you're dreaming .....
In regards as to why Burgess acccepted this offer over ten years as opposed to three is probably because of the uncertainty as to whether the NRL would accept his medical retirement so Souths were preparing to go down the Inglis path of long term employment in lieu of playing, also spreads out his tax liability
I'm fairly certain all players have to be insured, and the Insurance would have put a lot more scrutiny on his injury than the guy Sam regularly drinks coffee with.
Another factor is , was that money spread out evenly over four years or was it heavily backended , he may have only been on $600,000 for this year and one million for the next three years., so Sam gets his full money and Souths are not penalised.
The other clubs, especially us, must be shaking their heads over this decision.

OK ... thanks ... that now starts to make sense to me .....

However it does raise another interesting point ..... sorry ..... my sweet innocent mind at work .... so we have a situation whereby the original $3.6 is paid out of a grant by the NRL ... then the NRL rule that through no fault of Souths that the $3.6 will no longer be required to be part of the salary cap .... but they then don't increase the grant by that amount and make the club pay it out of their own funds ...

I wonder how many "medical retirements" the NRL would approve if they then had to raise that clubs Salary grant by the corresponding amount ..??
A broken down legend on the sideline is worth less than zero as a Club can only have 30 on its roster even with space in their Cap

The money is not an issue to the Rabbids as both GI and Sambo agreed to an extended payment plan and the NRL even chipped in with GI's newly created Cultural job at NRLHQ :mad:

However, the 2 million plus 2 vacancies in the Top 30 will enable them to go after Latrell and Fifita (for example) thereby building the next premiership winning Team with zero delay like Manly had with Snake and Matai @:cool:

It's done but it's unfair to every other Club like Manly, Riff and Knights who had to carry their injured players under their Cap till the end of their contract :wondering:

#SuchIsLife

In respect to Sambo and GI being hired at 300k pa it just means that the Rabbids only have to reduce their 5.7 million Footy Ops Cap spending by 10%pa

No biggie for the result they got in freeing up 20% of their Salary Cap

Plus over the 10 years Rabbids will receive at least 130 million in NRL Grants if it remains at the current 13 million

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4