Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Samantha in strife (and medical retirement rorts)

Moondog

Premium Member
Super Coach Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
It's obvious to everybody now, even Buzz.

Monday Buzz: NRL’s richest clubs are exploiting medical retirements
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
November 3, 2019 9:00pm

The NRL’s medical retirement rules have become a sham and nothing but a salary cap loophole for the wealthier clubs.
This was always going to be a problem once the NRL allowed Greg Inglis to retire last year and be taken out of the salary cap.
The Rabbitohs had signed Inglis on a long-term contract to keep him out of reach of rival clubs. They knew he was getting to an age where it was a risk but they still chose to take him off the market.

Last week we had three more cases – Sam Burgess at Souths, Ben Matulino at the Wests Tigers and Matt Gillett at the Brisbane Broncos.

We are not saying these are not genuine cases. That’s for the NRL to work out.
But let’s use a player like Kiwi Test front-rower Jared Waerea-Hargreaves as an example to show how easy it could be to rort the system.
He is 30 years of age and off contract at the end of next year. A number of clubs would love to sign the enforcer from the side that has won back-to-back premierships.
But like Inglis, Burgess and other older players, there are risks.
Sam Burgess, Matt Gillett and Ben Matulino have all retired in the past week.
Obviously it’s in Trent Robinson’s and Nick Politis’s best interests to take him off the market.
So they sign him for five years, knowing at most he’ll play another three. Like Inglis, he’ll have a busted body and will be medically retired.
The problem we have is that not all clubs can afford to do what the Roosters can and pay him out a couple of million. It’s a round of drinks for them.
The Rabbitohs are privately owned by Russell Crowe and James Packer and can afford it too. Same with the Broncos, the wealthiest club in the game.
The NRL knows this is potentially a major problem.
It’s why they are saying an investigation into the Burgess case will not be completed until next month. They want to study all the surgery and physio records.
They want to interview medical experts to determine if there were other options that could have allowed him toIt is in the best interests of the Roosters to take Jared Waerea-Hargreaves off the market.
It took five weeks for the Broncos to get approval from the NRL for Gillett’s retirement and release from the salary cap.
The NRL have rejected claims before. In 2017 Manly had to keep Brett Stewart in the salary cap despite a career ending knee injury. The same with Anthony Watmough at Parramatta.
Yet now the floodgates have opened and it is a problem for the game that is not going away.
Your columnist was laughed at and labelled soft for posing the question earlier this year: “Is rugby league getting too tough?”
Bigger, stronger, faster more powerful athletes are clashing and colliding with the most brutal force.
In most positions players are 25 kilos heavier than 30 years ago.
Even old super coach Wayne Bennett now recognises the problems with the increasing number of shoulder injuries.
“A lot of players are having multiple operations on their shoulder,” Bennett said.
“It’s something we need to look at and why this type of injury is happening and finishing guys’ c
Poor Kieran Foran did his shoulder again on the weekend. Will the Bulldogs try to medically retire him? Give him a job after footy. This would free up $1 million to get Latrell Mitchell straight away.
So the ball is now in the NRL’s court. There is a perception in the game that Todd Greenberg has a soft spot for the Rabbitohs.
The Greg Inglis reference in court for drink driving a speeding. Sam Burgess escaping punishment despite slamming the judiciary etc, etc.
All the fans want is consistency. Every club and every player to be treated the same, which hasn’t been the case in the past.

XV-1

Buzz can't even get hos facts correct. Anthony Watmough was medically retired after Parra fed the NRL bs.

It was Parra's insurance company that rejected it based on medical evidence

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Staff member
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
t took five weeks for the Broncos to get approval from the NRL for Gillett’s retirement and release from the salary cap.
How on earth did they approve that one?????

Manly had to keep Brett Stewart in the salary cap despite a career ending knee injury. The same with Anthony Watmough at Parramatta.
Get your facts straight fool, Watmough was controversially approved in order to help the Eels overcome the slap on the wrist they got for cheating the cap

Moondog

Premium Member
Super Coach Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
The NRL knows this is potentially a major problem.
Umm, it's already a major problem.
It’s why they are saying an investigation into the Burgess case will not be completed until next month. They want to study all the surgery and physio records.
No, they just hope something will happen in the mean time to take peoples minds off it.
There is a perception in the game that Todd Greenberg has a soft spot for the Rabbitohs.
He'd bend over forwards for them.

HappilyManly

Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Premiership #9 is due!
Premium Member
NRL are concerned with CTE but I've yet to hear of an oversight of the use of pain killers which enables a player to further damage himself :cool:

Cortisol indirectly acts on bone by blocking calcium absorption which decreases bone cell growth [12]. ... Excessive elevation of cortisol levels, such as in hypercortisolism or Cushing's syndrome

Mark from Brisbane

Living the dream
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
It’s a Rort and everyone knows it, whilst I’m not a big fan of Buzz he at least has the scope to promote a story in the papers and on Twitter, so good luck to him!!

niccipops

un echidna spillo mia bevanda
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
Manly Sea Eagles 2017 have Matai and Snake on the books for 1 mil plus. Both with busted bodies but of course medical retirement is rejected. Followed by the cap penalty BS over two years.
2019 GI retires, medical grounds granted, old Bennett and Russ go on a spending spree.
Prior to 2020 Burgess, Gillett and the Tigpie all lining up and for retirement with their club's to receive cap compensation.
Greenbergs bias and anti-Manly agenda is rife.
Growl:mad:

BOZO

2019 Tipping Competitor
Manly Sea Eagles 2017 have Matai and Snake on the books for 1 mil plus. Both with busted bodies but of course medical retirement is rejected. Followed by the cap penalty BS over two years.
2019 GI retires, medical grounds granted, old Bennett and Russ go on a spending spree.
Prior to 2020 Burgess, Gillett and the Tigpie all lining up and for retirement with their club's to receive cap compensation.
Greenbergs bias and anti-Manly agenda is rife.
Growl:mad:
I dont think it is Greenberg bias . It is Greenburg incompetence to be on top of things

Under the incompetent Greengurg the NRL game will never be on top .

manly al

Premium Member
Tricky issue in many ways when there is the diverse situation in regard to pre existing injuries , chronic injuries or a combination of both . Then whether a full dispensation or partial concession for any cap provision should be warranted . Obvious bias with Snake and Matai to disadvantage Manly of course but if this present latitude and interpretation continues , not inconceivable that even Manly in future times could then receive some benefit with a player who has to be genuinely medically retired and in contrast again with Snake and Matai"s prior examples . Maybe a case to limit a contract where the presence of pre existing or chronic injuries is clearly established . But what body would administer or adjudicate there . The current situation hardly seems right but again formulating some improved and balanced guidelines , quite challenging .

Bring back the.... Biff?

24/7 Dodging Salad
Mate, it $hits the lot of us. The Worms were allowed to medically retire Choc despite QBE refusing to pay out due to them ruling that his knee injury was from pre-existing injuries. Souffs were allowed to medically retire 1nglis to allow bogus ambassador roles and now with Samantha they will get offered a similar deal.

But Manly with Snake and Skivvy? Nope, we had to carry them in our squad and have them under the salary cap.

Its one big effing joke. Welcome to the NRL under Greenturd.....
Like most things in life the nrl is a joke. Beyond sick of the cheating and bias i am.... fuk the nrl

wombatgc

Sausage roll eating keyboard warrior.
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
It’s a Rort and everyone knows it, whilst I’m not a big fan of Buzz he at least has the scope to promote a story in the papers and on Twitter, so good luck to him!!
Wait till Dugan is retired medically unfit. Just in time for Val Holmes to take up his (salary cap exempt) position. You’ll hear nothing from Buzz when it happens.

Mark from Brisbane

Living the dream
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
Wait till Dugan is retired medically unfit. Just in time for Val Holmes to take up his (salary cap exempt) position. You’ll hear nothing from Buzz when it happens.
Yep, that’ll be showing his true colours BUT still good to see a high profile journo have a crack at this absolute rich club Rort.

Mark from Brisbane

Living the dream
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
Mate, as much as I love rugby league its getting to the point where if it wasn't for Manly I wouldn't even bother with the NRL.
Ditto, I rarely watch any other game these days, other than SOO and Finals.

globaleagle

SGF0IHJ1bGVzIGFsbCE=
Staff member
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor
Ditto, I rarely watch any other game these days, other than SOO and Finals.
-Other than Manly....

SOO and Aust tests for me (though I didn't watch Tonga v Aust). Don't even watch non Manly finals.

When the watchnrl subscription comes around in March I doubt I will renew. I paid full price when nearly everyone else from o/s I know got a discount and I rarely watch any show due to the continual Manly sucks sentiments from a lot of them and the Melb love fest from everyone.

Getting the Manly games isn't a drama.

globaleagle

SGF0IHJ1bGVzIGFsbCE=
Staff member
Premium Member
2019 Tipping Competitor

el oh el

BOZO

2019 Tipping Competitor

el oh el
There you go feathered friend I found the link .

I hope your happy now :)

Bring back the.... Biff?

24/7 Dodging Salad
Mate, as much as I love rugby league its getting to the point where if it wasn't for Manly I wouldn't even bother with the NRL.
I totally agree once we "lost" that finals game I cancelled my Foxtel. I have some much love for manly... I'm still heart broken/pissed off from the 2013 gf and since then the games been fixed imho all the teams that needed to win
Storm
South's
Sharks
NQLD
Storm
Dragons
Rorters
All bS premierships according to me

Members online

Latest posts

Top Bottom