Sam Verrils facing 2 weeks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Verrills, the first-choice No.9, was hit with a grade two careless high tackle for a shot on Brian Kelly and will need to beat the charge to be free for Friday night’s showdown with the Sea Eagles. The Roosters plan to fight it at the judiciary on Tuesday.

The Roosters can ill afford to lose Verrills, the first try-scorer in the 2019 grand final, but have Ben Marschke and Freddy Lussick as stand-by options.

My biggest worry is the Politis influence it has worked 3 times for JWH this year !! If the nrl are consistent it’s a shoulder to the head an accident but not a chance it’s a grade 1

My biggest worry is the Politis influence it has worked 3 times for JWH this year !! If the nrl are consistent it’s a shoulder to the head an accident but not a chance it’s a grade 1
Grade 1 he can play. He has been given grade 2. Needs a downgrade to play.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind he will be free to play. The media campaign (Kelly fell into it; Verills can't be expected to disappear) has already begun. The "crackdown" is long dead.
Cant happen if the Judiciary and the NRL wish to maintain any credibility.

The fear is you may be right, but if so the outcome will be wrong, I agree that Verrills had nowhere to go, thing is you don’t have to lead with the shoulder in that situation, which he did and which then struck the ball runner in the face and broke his nose, there should be no chance of a down grade, especially given the extent of the injury to the ball carrier, if there was no injury perhaps the Judiciary could get away with a downgrade.

The injury to player is where any moot point evaporates, its not to dissimilar to Aloia’s 3rd man in legs tackle that saw him charged purely on the back of Garner being injured, we see that tackle every week (call it a cannonball if you want) thing is no injury, no charge, but the player has been injured and Verrills has been charged.

The NRL have backed themselves into a corner on this one, with their stance about protecting the welfare of the players, particularly surrounding the head, head knocks, head injuries and illegal contact with the head, I’m not saying Verrill’s did it intentionally, although that could be successfully argued, I believe.

The fact remains it was dangerous contact to the head, that can’t be argued, it resulted in a nasty facial injury, that can’t be argued, there is no justification or acceptable reason to down grade the charge, Verrills must serve the extra week if they choose not to accept the early plea, up to the Judiciary and the NRL to maintain some credibility now.

The fear is you may be right, but if so the outcome will be wrong, I agree that Verrills had nowhere to go, thing is you don’t have to lead with the shoulder in that situation, which he did and which then struck the ball runner in the face and broke his nose, there should be no chance of a down grade, especially given the extent of the injury to the ball carrier, if there was no injury perhaps the Judiciary could get away with a downgrade.

The injury to player is where any moot point evaporates, its not to dissimilar to Aloia’s 3rd man in legs tackle that saw him charged purely on the back of Garner being injured, we see that tackle every week (call it a cannonball if you want) thing is no injury, no charge, but the player has been injured and Verrills has been charged.

The NRL have backed themselves into a corner on this one, with their stance about protecting the welfare of the players, particularly surrounding the head, head knocks, head injuries and illegal contact with the head, I’m not saying Verrill’s did it intentionally, although that could be successfully argued, I believe.

The fact remains it was dangerous contact to the head, that can’t be argued, it resulted in a nasty facial injury, that can’t be argued, there is no justification or acceptable reason to down grade the charge, Verrills must serve the extra week if they choose not to accept the early plea, up to the Judiciary and the NRL to maintain some credibility now.
Agree, but this is Uncle Nick and the Roosters so anything is possible.

Don't care really as Verrils is not our problem we are our own problem at the moment. We need to get our house in order and fire up. If we play like we did against Parramatta in Round 1 (which was our best performance of the year in my opinion) then we dust the Roosters. if we play like last week our campaign is over.

Personally I don’t think Verrils should be suspended for that so if they fight and win I’d have no problem with it. His shoulder remained at the same height and there was no forceful contact.

Anyway if we are hopeful of him being ruled out we are getting desperate.

Personally I don’t think Verrils should be suspended for that so if they fight and win I’d have no problem with it. His shoulder remained at the same height and there was no forceful contact.

Anyway if we are hopeful of him being ruled out we are getting desperate.
The rules have changed. You can't hit people in the head anymore. It was forceful and high. Its way worse than a grade 1. Kelly didn't really drop any more than a couple inches. Personally I can't see him getting off.

It'll be interesting.

Roosters say "guilty" but are challenging the grading.

Wouldn't it be nice to believe that no politics will take place during this process?

NRL credibility?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4