Salary Cap Witch Hunt. **Appeal unsuccessful**

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Never got the Kent conspiracy of Manly being 'ahead'

The fine does not come out of the Salary Cap but is retained from the NRL grant of 13 million.

So we need the next coach to work with a 500k reduced budget plus a roster that is 330k less than the 15 other Clubs :confused:

Plus any reduced capability due to loss of TPA's ..... unless they can be re-done ..?

I thought he full grant is paid regardless Happily .The penalty works in their mind because the club is clearly at a disadvantage in not being able to spend the full amount on its playing roster and is therefore adversely effected in a roster sense, which is the purpose of the penalty. Even if the fine is deducted prior to the grant as you say ( which seems logical) Penn still has to spend 660k less on players so either way he’s better off if we assume he was going to fully utilise the cap.

The fact that the owners benefit in a non roster sense to the tune of 160k does not come into it and would not really worry them as it actually helps keep struggling clubs more solvent in regards to non player expenses.

Kent on NRL 360 covered this quite well earlier in the year.

Clubs are required to spend at least 95 per cent of the cap in a situation where no penalty is in play.

But I may be wrong and probably am .
To state it simply

1) Penn has to allegedly put in 1.5 million per year as the NRL Grant does not cover the present running costs.
So Penn needs to put in 2 million in 2019

2) Managing a 30 man roster at present required TPAs.
So having 330k less to do the very same is not a saving to Penn, but a handicap to the coach.

Reduced running costs means that even the demountables may be a luxury that Manly can't afford :p

My fear now is we back end contracts to get through 2019 and then end up like the dogs.

We had a capable roster in 2018, but between injuries and baz, couldn't get the best out of them. The loss of green also hurt.

If the new coach is madge, hopefully he can start to get the best out of the current playing group. I'm hoping elgey can be a capable 5/8 and work with DCE. He isn't going to be a superstar but hopefully the new coach makes him a solid player cause I highly doubt we can afford any big name signings.

Part of the new membership drive offering ...

unnamed.jpg

Adversity does not always bring a club down . In fact it can have the reverse affect
The right people with the right attitude can do wonders
We need change of attitude in the front office and the right coach that can bring out the best out of his squad .
When our back is against the wall there is only one thing to do and that is turn around and fight and when we fight with our backs against the wall we usually fight with much , much more VIGOUR !!!
We are now the underdogs and if our new leaders instill more fight and spirit than we have shown this year we will be capable of bigger things in 2019.
There is proof and there have been many great victories against the odds in sport
In the 2004 Euro cup the Greek team was rated 250/1 to win . That's right 250/1 that is wooden spoon odds
Greece had never qualified for the semi finals in the history of the cup as they could never compete against the class players of France , Germany , Italy , Spain, England etc .
The Greek national team elected a German coach that changed the teams mentality to believe in them selves and the coach also got his players to play above their weight . The coach built a tough resilient winning culture .
The winning culture all starts in the players heads and we need the right head coach to get into our players minds and make them play and believe like they are unbeatable . Just like the German coach did to the underdog Greek team .
Our Manly 1978 grand final team won the tittle playing 6 games in three weeks !!! They not only beat their opponents they also hammered all the Adversity that overcame them . The 1978 Manly winning team used Adversity to inspire them and not to bring them down to their knees .
I have learned in life that its not what cards we are dealt with that counts , Life is what we make of it .
A new season gives me new reason and hope that our Sea eagles can soar once again !!!
acf8df38d622772cab6e56b13799338a.jpg

Last edited:
And remember guys and girls (and gender neutrals), we are the first club to have a multi-year salary cap penalty for salary cap breaches. Other clubs were allowed to compete on an equal footing once they were salary cap compliant.

So true and that is just one of the many farcical decisions and completely inconsistent punishments to add to the ever growing list of whats good for one team isn't for another.

The Roosters rort the cap in plain sight by exploiting technicalities that are not against the rules - despite being obviously against the spirit of why the salary cap exists in the first place.

We would do the same thing if we had the money don't kid yourself. The difference is they have people who know what they are doing we have clowns running our club.

Adversity does not always bring a club down . In fact it can have the reverse affect
The right people with the right attitude can do wonders
We need change of attitude in the front office and the right coach that can bring out the best out of his squad .
When our back is against the wall there is only one thing to do and that is turn around and fight and when we fight with our backs against the wall we usually fight with much , much more VIGOUR !!!
We are now the underdogs and if our new leaders instill more fight and spirit than we have shown this year we will be capable of bigger things in 2019.
There is proof and there have been many great victories against the odds in sport
In the 2004 Euro cup the Greek team was rated 250/1 to win . That's right 250/1 that is wooden spoon odds
Greece had never qualified for the semi finals in the history of the cup as they could never compete against the class players of France , Germany , Italy , Spain, England etc .
The Greek national team elected a German coach that changed the teams mentality to believe in them selves and the coach also got his players to play above their weight . The coach built a tough resilient winning culture .
The winning culture all starts in the players heads and we need the right head coach to get into our players minds and make them play and believe like they are unbeatable . Just like the German coach did to the underdog Greek team .
Our Manly 1978 grand final team won the tittle playing 6 games in three weeks !!! They not only beat their opponents they also hammered all the Adversity that overcame them . The 1978 Manly winning team used Adversity to inspire them and not to bring them down to their knees .
I have learned in life that its not what cards we are dealt with that counts , Life is what we make of it .
A new season gives me new reason and hope that our Sea eagles can soar once again !!!
View attachment 9718
Hey @BOZO I love your optimism mate. There are many examples of how clubs can turn their fortunes around. It takes great leadership and resolve. But a lot of the success stories centre around the WHY? Why are the Penns there for? What is their vision and their end goal? If it's to make Manly great again and to restore the club to it's former glory then there is no reason why we can't get there. But if it's purely to build multi level developments then our club will lose its soul and no super coach will be able to turn our fortunes around.

I have one simple question. If you add the amount Manly were over the cap by per year onto their cap for said year. Did we have the highest paid 30 man squad, Or was there other clubs that were cap compliant that had a higher total 30 man squad spend?

If say melbourne were operating with 750k in tpas over the cap and we were 350k above the cap with 200k being illegal then Melbourne still have an advantage of 350k. So how can they say we are cheating if we don’t have an advantage over the highest paying club.?

In isolation I have no issue with the penalty we received

We cheated and should be punished

My issue, much like the slater issue, is with the continued inconsistency within the game. Much like what happened to Brett we seem to be the club that cops the worst punishment which is then corrected with others

In isolation I have no issue with the penalty we received

We cheated and should be punished

My issue, much like the slater issue, is with the continued inconsistency within the game. Much like what happened to Brett we seem to be the club that cops the worst punishment which is then corrected with others
We are the bullied weak kid. No one in the media or from another club is going to fight for us. It must be frustrating being the owners. It means we have to stick solid.

Circle the wagons. **** the NRL.

Last edited:

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8