Salary cap not balanced

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You're right. Shop DCE, TT and Jake, buy 6 top-shelf players and manage our team the way the successful teams do instead of forking out 35% of our cap on 3 players because we want to be the club with lots of local juniors in FG.
I have been a supporter pretty much the same time as you.

There's an argument to be made to let DCE go but frankly noone is going to take him on that salary. We are stuck with him for the duration I would imagine.

Letting the Turbo brothers go is absolutely ****ing bonkers. Tom T is arguably the best player in the NRL already and he is 23.

Letting the Turbo brothers go is absolutely ****ing bonkers. Tom T is arguably the best player in the NRL already and he is 23.
It's not a matter of "letting Tom go" it's about whether he is worth 1.1 M /year for however many games and having to pay his brother 300k in overs so we can have him. I'm sure you get it.

There are very good reasons why clubs don't generally sign players on looong contracts and our 3 stars could very well end up being perfect examples of why. Just sayin'.

It’s not a great to do with the cap being balanced or not it’s about,

2 stars injured
1 star suspended

& pretty average recruitment for many of the rest.

Seriously ask yourself would Croker, Levi, Paseka , Funa and sadly Tafua get a start at any other club ??

And they aren’t the only ones , many others are borderline FG but really more just reserve graders.

It’s not a great to do with the cap being balanced or not it’s about,

2 stars injured
1 star suspended

& pretty average recruitment for many of the rest.

Seriously ask yourself would Croker, Levi, Paseka , Funa and sadly Tafua get a start at any other club ??

And they aren’t the only ones , many others are borderline FG but really more just reserve graders.
But they were (below) average before last year and then last year performed well above what we had seen before unfortunately it seems it is back to business as usual for most of them.

We have wrapped up all our major stars at least, only off contract players are ones we can let go and hopefully bring up the promising juniors and another key signing in the next year or two. I think DCE is being paid too much but management stuffed that up when he wanted to sign for 800k.

I really don't think your best players should be on anymore than 850-900k - and we would of had that if management did things better.

Parra have recruited well over the past years - signing players on and around that 700-800k but no more

Gutho, Moses, Jennings, Matterson, Jr Paulo, Nathan Brown, Fergerson, Waga Blake, Cambell Gillard, etc. Not bad recruiting

Last edited:
The Melbourne Storm used this 'three Superstar' strategy to great effect for a decade. It does work, provided your three top-liners remain uninjured.
Manly relies on Turbo more than any other team relies on one player. Perhaps Storm relies on Smith almost as much but the difference is that the latter never gets injured.
What we've seen at Manly over recent years is a diminution of our backline prowess. We used to have great attacking centres and fast wingers. We could score long distance tries. The Manly brand of RL was exciting to watch.
VALE the Manly style.
I agree! Smith has been blessed with Injury, It has helped him become one of the greatest players ever. Imagine having your best player never get injured for 15 years. One big game he missed the 2008 GF because of suspension they lost 40 nil, that team still had Slater, Cronk, Inglis, Folau, Crocker, Jeremy Smith and Adam Blair. Think about that for a minute, a team with those players which some idiots were touting as immortals were beaten by 40-0 in a grand final because Smith was missing for one game. A backline with Slater, Cronk, Inglis and Folau lost 40-0. Unbelievable!

• 🤝
Reactions: Ben
It's not a matter of "letting Tom go" it's about whether he is worth 1.1 M /year for however many games and having to pay his brother 300k in overs so we can have him. I'm sure you get it.

There are very good reasons why clubs don't generally sign players on looong contracts and our 3 stars could very well end up being perfect examples of why. Just sayin'.
Every other club would happily pay that to get them across and to be honest I reckon they probably took unders to stay, nobody really knows what they turned down to stay with us so ease off.

Luckily for us our three big contract players suit the new style of footy. Tom, DCE and Jake.
Our two top props AFB and Marty both run well and off load which suits the new game.

We just need to improve the our speed and physicality across the rest of the squad, namely hooker.

Spending 10% of your cap on your best player, possibly the best player in the NRL and a once in a generation talent is not that big a deal. It shouldn't be questioned.

Imagine the outrage on here if we'd let him and Jake walk because we wouldn't pay him his asking price. We would have also severely impacted our ability to sign other top talent in the future, because we quite frankly would have been ****.

Spending 10% of your cap on your best player, possibly the best player in the NRL and a once in a generation talent is not that big a deal. It shouldn't be questioned.

Imagine the outrage on here if we'd let him and Jake walk because we wouldn't pay him his asking price. We would have also severely impacted our ability to sign other top talent in the future, because we quite frankly would have been ****.
The turbos are franchise players.
They will sell memberships, merch and make us competitive.

Yeah all very well on paper guys but did we really NEED to pay Jake such overs?

BTW Chuck, Jake is nowhere near being the best player in the NRL.

We pay DCE about 14% of our cap, Tom about 12%, Jake about 9%, so after that 35% is spent we have to somehow put together another 27 quality players needed to win a premiership with about 6 million. Good luck with that. That is my point.

We pay DCE about 14% of our cap, Tom about 12%, Jake about 9%, so after that 35% is spent we have to somehow put together another 27 quality players needed to win a premiership with about 6 million. Good luck with that. That is my point.
100% agree. People can bang on that Funa, Croker, Levi etc are first grade standard and wouldnt get a run at other clubs, and that is the point. With so much invested at the top we dont have enough mid range players to have a complete 17. Which means bottom tier players get a run at Manly and wouldnt at other clubs with more balanced top end contracts.

100% agree. People can bang on that Funa, Croker, Levi etc are first grade standard and wouldnt get a run at other clubs, and that is the point. With so much invested at the top we dont have enough mid range players to have a complete 17. Which means bottom tier players get a run at Manly and wouldnt at other clubs with more balanced top end contracts.
And it is not just the "17" mate, we need at least 24 players capable of cutting it in FG to win a comp.

Roosters do it.

Roosters do it.
Yes they do...with probably 2 million more in TPA's AND some seriously creative accounting to boot.

We are not the Rorters and don't have their advantages so we NEED to spend what money we have more wisely than we have.

Is all this a big secret to the people to run our club or are they in denial...or just plain incompetent?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4