Salary cap not balanced

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Hibyemama

Reserve Grader
I have been a manly supporter since 1966.
For the last 3 years, it’s been Groundhog Day. Tom gets injured I think 3 years in a row and the same thing has happened. Injuries to other players, suspensions usually follow and we can’t win.
We can’t win because our side is not balanced. Too much of our cap has been spent on turbo brothers and DCE.
To me DCE is overrated . The remaining cap is spent on average players , naturally, as we’ve run out of money.
There are many halfbacks in the nrl on less money that are better quality and value for money than Daley. Tom is a terrific player but seem to have this chronic hammy that I predict will continue into the future.. look at Clint gutherson. He is consistent, reliable player that is very good value for money.
Until we can have a more balanced side, I don’t think we can be successful. Our formula with the cap is all wrong.

This is the only
look at Clint gutherson. He is consistent, reliable player that is very good value for money.

Gutherson is actually an example of the stupidity of Barrett not keeping him because he had a bad run with Injuries, and you are suggesting we make the same mistake again with Tom T?

Gutherson, Tedesco all had a terrible run with injury early in their career. Neither were as talented as Tom T at that stage in their career. Hopefully he will bounce back.

This is the only

Gutherson is actually an example of the stupidity of Barrett not keeping him because he had a bad run with Injuries, and you are suggesting we make the same mistake again with Tom T?

Gutherson, Tedesco all had a terrible run with injury early in their career. Neither were as talented as Tom T at that stage in their career. Hopefully he will bounce back.
What you say is true. Tedesco and gutho had injuries at tigers and manly but then they are going gangbusters at easts and parra.. perhaps our conditioning team is not getting the best and effectiveness from our key players?

What you say is true. Tedesco and gutho had injuries at tigers and manly but then they are going gangbusters at easts and parra.. perhaps our conditioning team is not getting the best and effectiveness from our key players?

Gutho actually did the same ACL while at Parramatta in 2017, but has had a great run without injury since - which seems unusual for someone who has done the same ACL twice.

I have been a manly supporter since 1966.
For the last 3 years, it’s been Groundhog Day. Tom gets injured I think 3 years in a row and the same thing has happened. Injuries to other players, suspensions usually follow and we can’t win.
We can’t win because our side is not balanced. Too much of our cap has been spent on turbo brothers and DCE.
To me DCE is overrated . The remaining cap is spent on average players , naturally, as we’ve run out of money.
There are many halfbacks in the nrl on less money that are better quality and value for money than Daley. Tom is a terrific player but seem to have this chronic hammy that I predict will continue into the future.. look at Clint gutherson. He is consistent, reliable player that is very good value for money.
Until we can have a more balanced side, I don’t think we can be successful. Our formula with the cap is all wrong.
You're right. Shop DCE, TT and Jake, buy 6 top-shelf players and manage our team the way the successful teams do instead of forking out 35% of our cap on 3 players because we want to be the club with lots of local juniors in FG.
I have been a supporter pretty much the same time as you.

Yep therein lies our problem and it will haunt us for years to come. Expect more of the same until a new generation come through.

Most teams have 3 players up around that 3mil mark.

Isnt Guth on around 800k?

Also lets please exclude the Roosters from Cap management chat

The Melbourne Storm used this 'three Superstar' strategy to great effect for a decade. It does work, provided your three top-liners remain uninjured.
Manly relies on Turbo more than any other team relies on one player. Perhaps Storm relies on Smith almost as much but the difference is that the latter never gets injured.
What we've seen at Manly over recent years is a diminution of our backline prowess. We used to have great attacking centres and fast wingers. We could score long distance tries. The Manly brand of RL was exciting to watch.
VALE the Manly style.

The Melbourne Storm used this 'three Superstar' strategy to great effect for a decade. It does work, provided your three top-liners remain uninjured.
Manly relies on Turbo more than any other team relies on one player. Perhaps Storm relies on Smith almost as much but the difference is that the latter never gets injured.
What we've seen at Manly over recent years is a diminution of our backline prowess. We used to have great attacking centres and fast wingers. We could score long distance tries. The Manly brand of RL was exciting to watch.
VALE the Manly style.

I think the storms big 3 worked because smith and cronk were able to steer the team around with more kick and smarts than bash or barge. They were able to committ to a gameplan in all conditions and used pressure to crack teams, as opposed to out footy teams.
Playing in a dinner suit it was once called

Slater the most attacking of them probably had more injuries because he had to do the hard physical yards, taking on the line and running at gaps, like our tom. Tom also exposes himself in the line , chases all the bombs, plays brutal defensive fullback play and we wonder why he is injured. He needs more services as he is overused

Cherry plays the same style, less confronting , but wothout the same toolbox so his ROI is just waay out of whack. . Like smith there availability seems enhanced due to there lack of contact in crucial plays. He is underused

Haven "t seemed to get value for money from D C E over the long term but don"t think that the rest of the cap balance is unfavorable . How much cap was on the sidelines last night with a combination of Tom , A f B , Walker and Fainu , probably just over 2 , 2 mil or so , that continues to be the main handicap to being a top tier side in recent times and very competitive

By my rough calculations, 50% of our cap is spent on 6 players (DCE, Tom, Jake, Marty, AFB and Walker). However, the main issue is when the performances of your marquee players don't match their pay checks - either due to form or injury. If players were playing close to their pay check and were on the park - happy days!

We talk about a lack of 'depth', but it's not as if it is possible to have a bevy of first graders waiting in the wings. First graders will want to play first grade and won't be satisfied playing NSW cup. The best depth is a talented junior base and I think ours are coming through, it's just not happening as fast as we would like (or need).

Turbo 900,000
Walks 5-600,000
AFB 400,000
Fainu 300,000?

That's easy 2 million on the sidelines.

Cost of players is not the problem. We are not using all of our talent in the top 30. What happened to our PNG Hooker. We could really use him now. We are not using our top 30 we are playing with reduced squad about 23 to 24 players. Why?

Cost of players is not the problem. We are not using all of our talent in the top 30. What happened to our PNG Hooker. We could really use him now. We are not using our top 30 we are playing with reduced squad about 23 to 24 players. Why?
It should be a squad of 36 mate, not 30. We have 6 Devel players that are eligible to play too.

Indeed. DCE playing like someone on less than half his wage, Jake on overs for how he's being used, Tom on overs for how often he's injured. Halves haven't clicked consistently since Green was #6. Fainu would've alleviated these issues but regardless of whether he's guilty or not, he affiliated himself with bad company.

Gutho actually did the same ACL while at Parramatta in 2017, but has had a great run without injury since - which seems unusual for someone who has done the same ACL twice.

Small sample size. How many years has Teddy had injury free? 1 and a half? including a long lay off due to covid.

The OP picked the absolute worst comparison in choosing Gutho.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6