Salary cap management. Have a crack.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The issues with Gutherson and injuries is a little exaggerated actually. Sure he's had a couple of bad ones at Manly. But, according to the records, in his years at Parramatta in 2016 he played 24 games, 2017 18 games and 2018 19 games. From that I gather he has missed 11 games out of 72 games. From that he has played almost 85% of their games in three years. That's better than most rugby league players. The injury issue relates to over 4 years ago but still seems to be focussed on.

Gutho is not worth 700k a season, he barely plays more than half the games a season at best. Even if he has impact in all of them still not worth it
He averages about 22 games a year at Parra.

So the Cap is set at 9.6million for 2019. That covers the top 30 players.

With all the talk around Gutho and his 'worth' depending on position is it really that easy to juggle a 30 man roster?

What worth do you put against any one position? Let's look at our beloved team.
Do you agree or disagree on the below figures?

Fullback - TT - 800k - 900k
Wing - Jorge - 350k
Centre - Walker 600k
Centre - suli - 300k
Wing - Garrick - 300k
5/8 - LG - 400k
Half - DCE - 1.1mil
Lock - Jurbo - 650k
Second row - Sirro - 450k
Second row - Thomson - 450k
Prop - AFB - 500k
Hooker - api - 500k
Prop - Marty - 650k

So the top 13 in my estimate adds up to about 7 million leaving just 2.6 for another 17 players.

Would you adjust any of those positions net worth?

Gutho for instance wants 700k which is too much for a centre surely? Again decent 5/8 would be 500 - 600 k...

It's a tricky business.
Gutho is a decent 5/8.

Turbo getting moved to 5/8 or centre is a real possibility as well.

Just bring Gutho home.

It's a much better option then the Turbos moving to Parramatta

Try doing it for the roosters then!
Teddy 1 mill
Toupu 350
Mitchell 650+
Auberson 400 manu 300
Ikulavu 250
Keary 700
Cronk 1 mill
Radley 900
Cordner 750
Creighton 850
Jwh 600
Friend 500
Taukeiaho 350+

Ryan hall
Lam
Lamb
Morris b
Liu
Tetavano

The numbers I put up are guessing but FMD how is it not under investigation
Just ask Gus. It's their genius with player development - cough - as to why they're so successful. Yeah right Gus. What a load of sheet.
I remember watching our match v the chooks last year and almost laughed at who they had injured and on the bench compared to who we had on the field. It was ridiculous.

So the Cap is set at 9.6million for 2019. That covers the top 30 players.

With all the talk around Gutho and his 'worth' depending on position is it really that easy to juggle a 30 man roster?

What worth do you put against any one position? Let's look at our beloved team.
Do you agree or disagree on the below figures?

Fullback - TT - 800k - 900k
Wing - Jorge - 350k
Centre - Walker 600k
Centre - suli - 300k
Wing - Garrick - 300k
5/8 - LG - 400k
Half - DCE - 1.1mil
Lock - Jurbo - 650k
Second row - Sirro - 450k
Second row - Thomson - 450k
Prop - AFB - 500k
Hooker - api - 500k
Prop - Marty - 650k

So the top 13 in my estimate adds up to about 7 million leaving just 2.6 for another 17 players.

Would you adjust any of those positions net worth?

Gutho for instance wants 700k which is too much for a centre surely? Again decent 5/8 would be 500 - 600 k...

It's a tricky business.

the other 17 take at least another $1.7mill.... minimum contract being $100,000.00

I hear a lot of people say you can’t have 3 million-dollar players in your squad but I disagree. As of 2020 the cap will be $9.8 million for the Top 30, with a minimum wage of $110,000

No reason you can’t have about 8 top-line players. Most of these 8 you would try to keep as the key, culture setting core of the playing squad, looking several seasons ahead.

‘A’ list - DCE and the Turbos on an average of 1mil each .................. 3 mil

‘B’ - Marty, Walker, Api, Joel, AFB on an average of 600k ..................3 mil

C – for example, 12 players on an average of about 190 k ...............2.28 mil

D – another 10 on an average of 150k ..............................................1.5 mil

Total .................................................................................................... 9.78

C and D would be a combination of

* players loyal to the club because they are juniors or some other reason - Jorge, Parker, Cust & co

* solid journeymen who will buy into the culture because, for example, you’re giving them a 2nd chance – Croker, Jetski, Elliott types

* a batch of up and coming potential stars, who have not yet done anything of note in top grade but who are almost ready for a shot – Fainu, Paseka, Funa, and the like

The trick is to every year be able to promote to the top grade at least one or 2 from the C or D category, and get one - or ideally two - good seasons out of them while they are still on a C or D wage.

After that, if they have proved their worth, either upgrade them to B (such as Fainu, Siro), which will probably mean releasing one of the current B players (Api, Joel), or else let them move on to a high paid opportunity elsewhere. Either way, it frees up a spot for a new C or D level player, a youngster of potential or a former gun looking for redemption.

Of course, there are many variables but as a basic premise I think this is manageable. It depends on keeping your team an attractive option for the next wave of C and D level players looking for an opportunity, not easy to do, but it should be exactly where Manly is right now.

Storm have relied on something like this, with tremendous success in renewing and refreshing their squads year after year, and Des has had success in the past with a similar strategy. (The Chooks on the other hand, for years have preferred to buy ready-made stars -SBW, Maloney, Jennings, Tedesco, Keary, Cronk, Crichton etc etc.)

By next year we’ll need at least a couple out of Hoppa, Funa, Cust, Paseka, & Haumole to really nail down a first grade spot on merit

Speaking of Salary Cap management, it seems like the Sharks are in some drama for 2020 with them already being over the cap even with Gallen’s retirement and Brailey etc leaving according to the Telegraph.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8