Sack Seibold.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Sea Eagle 4 Life

Reserve Grader
If we do not make the eight, Seibold has to be shown the door.
Brad Arthur is the logical replacement, if he doesn't get snapped up in the meantime.
1718179291783.png

Ryan

Journey Man
I'm not sure it's coaching guys. We've had:

Trent Barrett
Des Hasler
Michael Monaghan
Geoff Toovey
Anthony Siebold
John Cartwright
Shane Flannagan
Jim Dymock
Chad Randall

and many, many others (all different types and price-tags) coach us over the last decade and we've averaged 10th. When will people realize it's the roster?

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
When will people realize it's the roster?
When will people realize .....
that Head Coaches In charge are accountable for their playing roster performance and they either .....
Exceed expectations and Overachieve
Meet expectations and Deliver
Or Fail expectations and underachieve

We all live and die by our results in what we do

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
When will people realize .....
that Head Coaches In charge are accountable for their playing roster performance and they either .....
Exceed expectations and Overachieve
Meet expectations and Deliver
Or Fail expectations and underachieve

We all live and die by our results in what we do
True. But at the same time, coaches inherit a roster and need time to reshape it in their image. How much time - 2, 3, 4 years - is the issue up for debate.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
True. But at the same time, coaches inherit a roster and need time to reshape it in their image. How much time - 2, 3, 4 years - is the issue up for debate.
The 2 , 3, and 4 year theory does not apply to a Top 8 roster with top players inherited
Affective coaches get the best out of that roster and live up to expectations or exceed expectations

Last edited:

Rosko

Reserve Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Trent Barrett
Des Hasler
Michael Monaghan
Geoff Toovey
Anthony Siebold
John Cartwright
Shane Flannagan
Jim Dymock
Chad Randall

and many, many others (all different types and price-tags) coach us over the last decade and we've averaged 10th. When will people realize it's the roster?
At most clubs, the head coach determines the roster.

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
The 2 , 3, and 4 year theory does not apply to a Top 8 roster with top players inherited
Affective coaches get the best out of that roster and live up to expectations or exceed expectations
I guess where we will disagree is that I’m not convinced we have a top 8 roster (ie players 1-30). We have some guns, but also some roster fodder.

In my view, there is limited scope for a coach to materially improve personnel in the short term (0-2 years), increased scope in the medium term (2-3 years) and total control over the long term (3+ years).

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I guess where we will disagree is that I’m not convinced we have a top 8 roster (ie players 1-30). We have some guns, but also some roster fodder.

In my view, there is limited scope for a coach to materially improve personnel in the short term (0-2 years), increased scope in the medium term (2-3 years) and total control over the long term (3+ years).
Agree

And we seem to enjoy long contracts further restricting the ability to shape the team

but coaches have to make big decisions and while i think we have improved a bit under seibs , tinkering with a small % of the cap to instigate major change can be tricky and doesn’t really move the dial in terms of results

LeonardCohen

Bencher
I agree with the assertion that coaches determine their roster, and I agree that it takes significant time to turn it over…however, it’s only ever to a certain extent, given the agency of the players themselves. The best example is probably Canberra. Stuart has been there for 10 years and had plenty of time to build a premiership roster, trouble is, no one wants to play in Canberra. So he has never assembled a bonafide premiership winning roster. He did well to get the 2019 team to the GF final with basically Jack Wighton and Papaliii as the only marquee players. He developed Tapine from the Knights and had to look at guys like Bateman and Whitehead in England to put a squad together.

Yes, we need a couple of strong signings but we are competing with 16 other clubs, it’s not as simple as the coach gets what he wants, more the coach tries to get what he wants.

Andrew..

Bencher
Tipping Member
We had a good coach in Flanagan but we let him slip through our fingers, we kept the wrong bloke. Saints were a basket case before he took over and I won't be surprised if they finish higher than us.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
We had a good coach in Flanagan but we let him slip through our fingers, we kept the wrong bloke. Saints were a basket case before he took over and I won't be surprised if they finish higher than us.
Problem there was seibs signed him and not penn
Signed by seibs as assistant with clauses

We just didnt rate him ( flanno)

Darknstormy

Reserve Grader

Trent Barrett
Des Hasler
Michael Monaghan
Geoff Toovey
Anthony Siebold
John Cartwright
Shane Flannagan
Jim Dymock
Chad Randall

It’s the ownership mate and it’s been like this since penn took over..he has no idea and the last 10 years have proven that

Ranga

Bencher
Tipping Member
Problem there was seibs signed him and not penn
Signed by seibs as assistant with clauses

We just didnt rate him ( flanno)
I think a lot of clubs rated Flanno but at the time he was signed by Seibold he was damaged goods and many clubs seemed too scared to give him the head coaching job due to a fear of stakeholder backlash. Seibs gave him the soft relaunch for his career, and St George were sufficiently desperate enough to take on the baggage of Flanno’s past. It seems their decision was a good one.

Eagle 1

First Grader
I tend to think that if we miss finals again, we should look at both a head coaching, and a number of playing personnel changes. Since 2016, we have had a turbulent period, particularly after what was a very successful preceeding decade. Anthony Seibold is clearly an intelligent coach however, footy is results based. Let's face it, us Sea Eagles rightly have high expectations. In such a circumstance, I think Brad Arthur is in the conversation. Also, any reason why John Morris seems to be a pariah? Did I miss something as he looks like he has a heap of ability.

Player wise, we need to move away from stop gap players and get back to that Manly tradition of growing our own special ones, then signing some key big ones in the mould of a Ben Kennedy, Jamie Lyon, Mark Carroll, or Ian Roberts.
Like your sentiments, but that's a tall order getting those type of players to the club. Got mixed feelings on developing our juniors, we bring along say 5 good ones only to see some of them poached by other clubs. Case in point, the Fainu's, all went on mass for one reason or another after we poured lots of time and money into them, even supported one that was stood down for 2yrs or more. That just left a bitter taste in my mouth after that. Anyway lets just see how the remaining games of this season pans out, hopefully after the bye a recharged Turbo can reboot our season omce again.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18