[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would open that up a little.

When Turbo plays ANY coach that manly has is safe. When Turbo is out for long periods ANY coach manly has is up ****e creek.
Well tbf that view (which I am not saying is wrong or that I do not agree) is predicated on our experiences of Des and Twent...
Who is to say what a Kristian Woolfe, Shane Flanagan or the Walker brothers could do with the squad? KW (as Tonga coach) may be able to actually install some pride in the jersey amongst our heavily Poly group...

Not really keen on these succession coaching plan proposals . Seems more like code that there is not full confidence in a current coach's ability or effectiveness and the inevitability that he must be replaced sooner rather then latter and not taking into account that things could improve or turn arounds relatively quickly . Different matter again if there was someone waiting on the wings who could seem an automatic suitable replacement Not of major significance but have been a couple of unusual calls by Des in recent times , like putting Funa in a 6 role when he had no previous N R L experience there and a couple of game tactical calls last season . And of course the reluctance to promote lower grade talent when the situation was probably calling out for it . All areas of the club related to on field results should be under some level of scrutiny including the coaching input but then with an opportunity to turn things around , then to consider coaching extension options . Sure that Des would be open to alternative offers soon or even now post 2023 and does n"t seem to be much interest . On some type of notice to get some things in better order next season [ or the early stages ] and nothing unusual about that in the present circumstances . Maybe could be handling things a bit better at the current time but to Penn"s credit , was fairly proactive in trying to improve club and coaching matters after that forgetful 2018 outcome . Time for both coaching staff and players to just knuckle down and focus for a good off season preparation and a much better start for 2023 .

Not really keen on these succession coaching plan proposals . Seems more like code that there is not full confidence in a current coach's ability or effectiveness and the inevitability that he must be replaced sooner rather then latter and not taking into account that things could improve or turn arounds relatively quickly . Different matter again if there was someone waiting on the wings who could seem an automatic suitable replacement Not of major significance but have been a couple of unusual calls by Des in recent times , like putting Funa in a 6 role when he had no previous N R L experience there and a couple of game tactical calls last season . And of course the reluctance to promote lower grade talent when the situation was probably calling out for it . All areas of the club related to on field results should be under some level of scrutiny including the coaching input but then with an opportunity to turn things around , then to consider coaching extension options . Sure that Des would be open to alternative offers soon or even now post 2023 and does n"t seem to be much interest . On some type of notice to get some things in better order next season [ or the early stages ] and nothing unusual about that in the present circumstances . Maybe could be handling things a bit better at the current time but to Penn"s credit , was fairly proactive in trying to improve club and coaching matters after that forgetful 2018 outcome . Time for both coaching staff and players to just knuckle down and focus for a good off season preparation and a much better start for 2023 .
But the elephant in the room is the coaching style of Des.

Selections.
Game plans.
Seemingly not in touch with the modern game.

No one can doubt his passion , and the relationship he has with his players.

But I’m far from convinced we’ll be moving forward very much whilst he’s still there.

Penn won’t pay him out so he’s here for 23, but I guarantee if we run 14th next year ( or anywhere in the bottom 9) there will be something new in 2024.

2023 we will be the tell for Des. If he is stubborn and remains stuck in his ways and with his outdated methods then realistically we wont improve next year and it will be Des's last season with the club. Frankly he needs to reboot to earn an extension. IMO he does not deserve one on the back of season 2022. Change or enjoy retirement. We looked like a very poorly coached team not withstanding all of the other excuses that are relieved upon by his supporters on here. My hope is that Des's competitive nature will be enlivened sufficiently to overcome his urge to involve himself in club politics and things will change. My fingers are crossed. Penn created a monster by leaving the club without a CEO and effectively leaving the reins to Des.

Man turbo plays and he covers a whole heap of cracks

He pulls this team into a top 8 squad - it is no where near as bad as some people on here make it. The issue is can he get to a premiership which is the question mark

Selections.
Game plans.

But I’m far from convinced we’ll be moving forward very much whilst he’s still there.

Penn won’t pay him out so he’s here for 23, but I guarantee if we run 14th next year ( or anywhere in the bottom 9) there will be something new in 2024.
Take your points but were still occasions last season when the side did look relatively competitive but one of the factors was still at the stages with minimal injuries and initially Turbo playing close to his best again . Don "t think that things are as dire as when Barrett was completely out of favor at the end of 2018 . Plus the instability factor within the playing squad if Des was hooked and the pay out issue no doubt part of any considerations as well . Just on balance , would seem better to see how things pan out until the i st quarter or so in 2023 and hopefully Turbo staying on the paddock and in his best form . Haven 't heard much recently about some of Des "s support staff moving on , can"t see any major disruptions there but think that it would unavoidably be different again if Des was moved on . Surely Des has the where with all and nous to rejig and revise some of his coaching aspects and methods , if not , really not that entitled to hods his current role .

I've always said Des is too conservative in selections and probably strategies. Doesn't mean I think he's a poor coach. Just looking at where Manly reached in the years he coached us, he started off at 13, then 8, 5, Runners up, Premiers, 5, 8, Premiers and on return 6, 13, 4 and 11. At the Bulldogs he had them as Runners up, 6, Runners up, 5, 7 and 11. In other words he took his sides to premierships twice, grand finals five times, finals fourteen times out of eighteen years of coaching. Only a very few coaches in that period were better. Granted he had a great crew at Manly around 2006-11 and a pretty decent group at the Bulldogs early on, but he's also had some pretty average or inexperienced sides and like most teams, when injuries hit you hard and you lose your top tier players for extended periods you seem to rarely do well.

Point is, I agree Des needs to listen to younger assistant coaches and new ideas. I think he needs to be more of the innovator and risk taker he was early on. But I think he's still one of the better coaches in the comp.

Selections.
Game plans.

If nothing changes then I wonder if rusted-on members like me will re-commit for another season. Currently I don't feel like renewing my membership, which stretches for more than three decades now.
If Penn notices a dramatic fall in membership then it may be the financial trigger he needs to sell up, so there could be a silver lining if we have another disastrous season.

Manly potentially should be a better side in the coming year with not only Turbo and Garrick back, but also the rise of Ola, Paseka, Koula, Weekes an Schuster. There's potential there. Just hope Manly pick up a couple of mongrel forwards and also hope young Tong moves to the next level at hooker.

If nothing changes then I wonder if rusted-on members like me will re-commit for another season. Currently I don't feel like renewing my membership, which stretches for more than three decades now.
If Penn notices a dramatic fall in membership then it may be the financial trigger he needs to sell up, so there could be a silver lining if we have another disastrous season.
Congratulations on your over three Decades of Dedication and loyalty to our Legendary club
And this makes you a Manly Legend in your own right .

PLayers and officials come and go but the Spirit and Soul of our Legendary club are loyal passionate supporters like you @The Who
So be proud and feel privileged feathered friend

The club members the Spirit and the Soul of our Legendary club are the Reason the club existed in the past , it exists in the present and will always exist in the future

And Mr Penn is smart enough to know that without the Spirit and the Soul of the club he owns a dead club .

Mr Penn is on a Mission to Make Manly Great again and he has raised the Bar for Des and I believe Des will rise and so will Manly

So Keep being the Spirt , the Soul, the Inspiration and and the life line of our Legendary club @The Who

See the source image

I’d give it one more year but if nothing changes that’ll be my approach as well.

I've always said Des is too conservative in selections and probably strategies. Doesn't mean I think he's a poor coach. Just looking at where Manly reached in the years he coached us, he started off at 13, then 8, 5, Runners up, Premiers, 5, 8, Premiers and on return 6, 13, 4 and 11. At the Bulldogs he had them as Runners up, 6, Runners up, 5, 7 and 11. In other words he took his sides to premierships twice, grand finals five times, finals fourteen times out of eighteen years of coaching. Only a very few coaches in that period were better. Granted he had a great crew at Manly around 2006-11 and a pretty decent group at the Bulldogs early on, but he's also had some pretty average or inexperienced sides and like most teams, when injuries hit you hard and you lose your top tier players for extended periods you seem to rarely do well.

Point is, I agree Des needs to listen to younger assistant coaches and new ideas. I think he needs to be more of the innovator and risk taker he was early on. But I think he's still one of the better coaches in the comp.
Your last paragraph is on point.

And sadly I think he doesn’t , and won’t.

And that’s a very big part of our issue.

Now that’s an opinion , I’m not in the camp so he may well involve them 110% but it sure looks like he’s stuck in the last decade somewhere.

Man turbo plays and he covers a whole heap of cracks

He pulls this team into a top 8 squad - it is no where near as bad as some people on here make it. The issue is can he get to a premiership which is the question mark
Respect , and agree , with that comment BUT sorry to say we just can’t rely on Tom, he might only play 3-4 games next year and we are at square one again.

That’s number 2 Elephant in the room.

How much longer do we pay a player a million a season for just a few games.

We ALL love Tommy , when he’s playing he’s in the top 2-3 in the game.

But he is , for whatever reason , very , VERY, injury prone.

What happens then ? DCE kicks a field goal to get the campaign underway and we go on a decent run to the preliminary final, like happened 12 months ago ?

“But we only did that because of Tom”

Last season and this season, we put together a run for games where we won 6/7 without him

People love this Top 4/Top 8 stat, last year for example, the only reason Parramatta weren’t top 4, is because we flogged them twice. We have beaten teams when they were currently in the top 4/8 when we played them, Storm this year is another example of a top 4 team being beaten, although i know you have the theory that although we scored more points than them and outplayed them comfortably, we didn’t actually win that game

Dude, wtf has happened with you? You sound like not only are you happy with the current position of the club (and Des), you're actually celebrating our form and situation? I mean okay, if everyone set the bar at absolute ground zero like you have, anything is a win - so I guess that's a mindset that can give a person satisfaction.

On the flipside, I'm actually pretty happy (and tbh a little bit proud) that the majority are disappointed and out of respect for our emblem (and those wearing it) are wanting (and now demanding) something better for us.

But, we all have different expectations and benchmarks for the team, and no-one is right or wrong with opinion, so fair enough. BUT, you're really saying we out-performed the Storm "comfortably". Mate, either you didn't watch the back end of that game, or again, your bar is so low, it's underground. Maybe Des should use that game as the template for next year?

I’d give it one more year but if nothing changes that’ll be my approach as well.
The Manly spirit and the soul is the never say die character of our legendary club that has always prevailed through great adversity and has always stood the test of time

And now the time has come for all Manly People to do the right thing and Honour our Legendary club once again

We must never walk out on 75 years of blood sweat and cheers . It is not in our Manly DNA

Your mind may be thinking of pulling out of club membership but your Spirit and Soul will for ever haunt you and wont let you feathered friend

The Spirit and The Soul will always live on and So will Passionate Manly People like you @Mark from Brisbane
May God Always Bless the Great Manly people and the spirit and the Soul of our Legendary club
See the source image

Last edited:
Todd Peyton is unsigned. Anthony Siebold is looking for a role. There are ssssooo many other coaches available mate. Ones who understand the modern game. Understand how to motivate millennials. Understand how to not allow the players to rule the roost. There's probably 2-3 teams with unstable broken rosters. We are one.

We need to get with the times. Des prehistoric coaching , strategies , man management , customer focus is a thing of days past.

Until we get someone who can think ahead if the opposition, be innovative, fresh, most importantly - adaptable, we'll stagnate like we have (with a rare ocassional okay year, despite not being able to beat the good teams.

Don't be a goose mate ... other posters have told you over, and over, and over again .. that there are only 5 good Rugby League coaches in the entire world .. and they already have jobs ...

Get it through your thick skull .. there are no good Rugby League coaches in the WORLD ...

Don't be a goose mate ... other posters have told you over, and over, and over again .. that there are only 5 good Rugby League coaches in the entire world .. and they already have jobs ...

Get it through your thick skull .. there are no good Rugby League coaches in the WORLD ...
Most , if not every single one , of the English Premier League coaches would be craving a job down under.

Dude, wtf has happened with you? You sound like not only are you happy with the current position of the club (and Des), you're actually celebrating our form and situation? I mean okay, if everyone set the bar at absolute ground zero like you have, anything is a win - so I guess that's a mindset that can give a person satisfaction.

On the flipside, I'm actually pretty happy (and tbh a little bit proud) that the majority are disappointed and out of respect for our emblem (and those wearing it) are wanting (and now demanding) something better for us.

But, we all have different expectations and benchmarks for the team, and no-one is right or wrong with opinion, so fair enough. BUT, you're really saying we out-performed the Storm "comfortably". Mate, either you didn't watch the back end of that game, or again, your bar is so low, it's underground. Maybe Des should use that game as the template for next year?

Never said i was happy with where we are, but I think it is far from a the sky is falling and everything is woeful situation that some like to portray. It wasn’t a season where we were never in the hunt for finals from start to finish.

As I have said numerous times, I’ll happily back Des for another year, as his entire career at this club so far, he hasn’t put 2 bad years together on the trot, so I’ll give him the year to see if history repeats itself or not. I’ve seen this sky is falling stuff as recently as 2020, and 2021 was a pretty enjoyable year. As for wanting something better for us, you believe there is someone out there better than Des Hasler, I don’t

That Storm game, it’s an 80min game. You can choose to let the final 10mins where they scored their points mean more than the first 70mins, I’ll choose to look at the effort and performance produced over the 1st 70mins and place more importance on that than the final portion of the game. Its an 80min game, and for 85% of that game, we handled them comfortably. Not an ideal finish and obviously 36-12 looks better than 36-30, but on the ladder the 2 points have the same value

Last edited:

At present you are right that there are limited great coaches

Talent is always on the rise and out there some where there are rookies with talent that are bound to rise when given the opportunity .

Des also has the opportunity to make the job his and make History 2008 and 2011 once gain

Interesting times ahead

I would open that up a little.

When Turbo plays ANY coach that manly has is safe. When Turbo is out for long periods ANY coach manly has is up ****e creek.

A good coach ... after 4 full years in charge, going into his 5th, .... would have acknowledged this truth .... AND FUKKIN DONE SUMTING ABOUT IT ...

PSS ... I screamed that last bit ...

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4