[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I am convinced that we have a doppelganger posing as the great Des Hasler of the 2004-11 period, when Manly were supreme. Sure he had some great players back then, but he knew how to nurture young stars in the making, had strategies that were innovative and effective, was worth the mint. This Des Hasler we have at present seems a sad shadow of that great coach and I'm wondering if we have a sheep in wolf's clothing. Where is the real Des Hasler?

In all seriousness it seems to me Des has lost his magic, has lost confidence in himself, is too scared to make mistakes and so sticks with the same old formula that is obviously not working. His teams of that earlier period grew year by year into champion sides. The teams he has today swing up and down like a Ferris Wheel. Is he living off his well earned reputation? Is he too intransigent to change when its obvious things aren't working, too scared to risk? This team has some very good players. But they are playing like a bunch of uncoordinated body parts, in what should be a well coordinated unit. I know some are quite young but structurally they seem at a loss. Their defense is not at all what I would expect of a Des Hasler run side. Their confidence and drive seem missing. The Schuster issue is a perfect example. And its not about DCE. He is a champion player in a side that looks lost. Too disbelieving in themselves without Turbo, to take the bull by the horns.

Sorry, but to me this is all about coaching, self belief and conditioning. We can blame the players but they do what the coach wants them to do. So where is the real Des Hasler?
I think his methods are concerning but I also think we have the wrong style pack for the game in 2022…so a combination of both.

I think looking at Souths right now, it’s clear how important cattle are…Cam Murray gets them quick play-the-balls, Cook’s threat around the ruck attracts interest, throw it Cody who uses Latrell to attract defenders and go out the back to Johnson. Try and stop it?! It’s simple but it’s near impossible to stop.

Manly on the other hand…our only point of attack is Foran’s ability to dig into the line. Everything else is just live in hope of something happening.

Des needs to shape the roster better…wrong style of players right now. Big, slow forwards who play on the back foot. Even our most destructive attacking forward is Haumole and he is slow. Unless he rampages from a flat footed start, we gain no momentum as a team, from his input.

Manly pack were quite competitive against the Roosters Eels , Storm and Cows over the past 6 weeks or so , Good go forward and defence held up reasonably well , but for 60 - 70 minutes That ":s the problem , just can not maintain that level of required intensity . Very forgetful effort against the Titans and enough said there

What would be a start is a) fitness coach/regime similar to the Storm/Cowboys (Payton had to put it all on the line/upset the establishment - Taumalolo wasn't happy at the time); b) a defence coach - again refer Cowboys and what is possible.
I read somewhere that Des and Monaghan are responsible for our defence. Goodo then!

Had no idea about the Top 6 requirement, nor the decision to wait til Easter next year.
Well your not reading silvertails as much as you should and spending to much time on reporters articles 😜🤣

Disclaimer, no insult to reporters was intended and no suggestions reporters take lazy options by reading fan sites rather than chasing leads and facts was intended
Disclaimer 2 - no association or suggestion budgies or eagles like spending time with reporters articles more than silvertails.
Budgie eagles I'm not sure 😜

Thank God and the scientists and all things multicoloured

I just watched the press conference, they both couldn’t wait to get out of there, DCE everyone is getting along nicely, what a strange thing to say!
You would prefer that they hung around and chewed the fat for about 30 minutes? Maybe break out a few cheroots, whilst passing the port? Sharing a laugh with the gathered journalists over the result and the Pride jersey fiasco? Or maybe Des could refer to one of the Titans’ players as a ‘weak-gutted dog’?

Or would you prefer that they got back to the dressing rooms asap, to begin the process of assessing the performance and trying to fix things before the next game?

I saw nothing in their body language to suggest that they weren’t concerned. In fact they appeared to be angry about the result.

Last edited:
You would prefer that they hung around and chewed the fat for about 30 minutes? Maybe break out a few cheroots, whilst passing the Old Tawny port? Sharing a laugh with the gathered journalists over the result and the Pride jersey fiasco? Or maybe Des could refer to one of the Titans’ players as a ‘weak-gutted dog’?

Or would you prefer that they got back to the dressing rooms asap, to begin the process of assessing the performance and trying to fix things before the next game?

I saw nothing in their body language to suggest that they weren’t concerned. In fact they appeared to be angry about the result.
What's a cheroot?
Never mind, I'll google it. Doh!

Edit: googled. Ick!

I really don't think anyone else could have done much worse TBH, we don't seem to have a plan and there's no passion in representing the jumper, as a motivator Hasler just doesn't have it, after watching him at the pressers if you're still awake you certainly aren't instilled with confidence that things are going to get better so imagine how the boys feel running out onto the field, we're in definite need of change in the coaching box and within the team itself, we can't face another season of this unmanly like effort
I can guarantee you, the Des you see at the presser is not not the Des that is in the dressing room.....

I think his methods are concerning but I also think we have the wrong style pack for the game in 2022…so a combination of both.

I think looking at Souths right now, it’s clear how important cattle are…Cam Murray gets them quick play-the-balls, Cook’s threat around the ruck attracts interest, throw it Cody who uses Latrell to attract defenders and go out the back to Johnson. Try and stop it?! It’s simple but it’s near impossible to stop.

Manly on the other hand…our only point of attack is Foran’s ability to dig into the line. Everything else is just live in hope of something happening.

Des needs to shape the roster better…wrong style of players right now. Big, slow forwards who play on the back foot. Even our most destructive attacking forward is Haumole and he is slow. Unless he rampages from a flat footed start, we gain no momentum as a team, from his input.
The best game Haumole played this year was outside foz when DCE was on SOO duties. Think he ran so hard in the game he came off early with cramps? A pity that wasn't utilised more the rest of the season.

The best game Haumole played this year was outside foz when DCE was on SOO duties. Think he ran so hard in the game he came off early with cramps? A pity that wasn't utilised more the rest of the season.

That may have been the case but it proves nothing because Foran has played every game and therefore has continued to have the opportunity to have Haumole play off him. Didn't we see a number of great plays last season off DCE to Haumole that resulted in tries. I dont see the problem being DCE. In fact he is the one player who when he's on song wins us games. We rely too much of DCE and Turbo for our attack. Easy to shut DCE down from effectiveness when he's your primary attack weapon. No intended disrespect of Foran who has, as I said, played damned well for us in the past 2 years. But though he is solid and consistent and tries hard every match, he's not going to be that X Factor ingredient that wins matches, same with Croker. They hold the line do their job very well, but you need players who know how to break the line in some manner, not just attack it.

That may have been the case but it proves nothing because Foran has played every game and therefore has continued to have the opportunity to have Haumole play off him. Didn't we see a number of great plays last season off DCE to Haumole that resulted in tries. I dont see the problem being DCE. In fact he is the one player who when he's on song wins us games. We rely too much of DCE and Turbo for our attack. Easy to shut DCE down from effectiveness when he's your primary attack weapon. No intended disrespect of Foran who has, as I said, played damned well for us in the past 2 years. But though he is solid and consistent and tries hard every match, he's not going to be that X Factor ingredient that wins matches, same with Croker. They hold the line do their job very well, but you need players who know how to break the line in some manner, not just attack it.
Sorry, my comment wasn't meant to be a dig at DCE. Just something that I found enjoyable to watch and hoped to see more of.

Manly pack were quite competitive against the Roosters Eels , Storm and Cows over the past 6 weeks or so , Good go forward and defence held up reasonably well , but for 60 - 70 minutes That ":s the problem , just can not maintain that level of required intensity . Very forgetful effort against the Titans and enough said there
Just my two cents worth but I think our pack competes at stages but never dominates. Every pack goes through patches of dominance and there are games when the opposition are off and you can survive having a sub-standard pack. The Cowboys/Chooks games were both examples of the opposition being down on previous weeks intensity and they still got the points. If the Roosters played like they did against the Cowboys last weekend, against us, we would have had 50 put on us. Look at the Tigers win over the Broncos a couple of weeks ago…they got on top but I doubt they’re talking about how their pack is good enough based on that isolated event.

Good packs dominate and dominate consistently and it’s immediately obvious which team has won the forward battle. That is never us!

The only time in 2-3 years that I can remember our pack really playing well above the opposition was the day Bozo died. Penrith do it every week. Sadly, that’s the level of intensity required every week to be a force. We get it once in 3 years.

History repeating? Des at bulldogs gets them to 2 grand finals , good effort but one Ben Barba largely got them to the GF as the Dally M player of the year…. 2021 Manly get into the top 4 carried by the form of another try score fullback freak and Dally M player Tom Turbo.

what interest me is the dogs horrible form post 2014 , with props taking hit ups on the last tackle 10m from the opposition try line , or ballplaying , that crap Hooker they got to replace Mick Ennis , Ennis pops off to win a GF at the sharks , free from Des dead man walking game plan, someone called Moses who cant walk on water while playing every position cause one days he might fine a spot that works for him . in short every commentator was reporting the dogs were clueless , no Bellamy type longevity here. The Dogs expired fast.

and now , to not be rotating in Weekes, Tuitavake, Roumanos, Vargas, Fifita, Fulton , GCKT, some of them , ok pick two , or one even , ONE , because we might get flogged, is to fail to pathway our talent ..why not use the next few weeks to head start 2023 seasons by giveing them a free pass on expectations , give a couple of them 20 mins , for three weeks , we may find out something useful , that 20 games of flegg or Blacktown won’t tell us. For example , Weekes is a gun , Or isn’t .

this seasons is feeling a lot like the dying dogs , 2015 - 2017 , they were great years to pop into the Kennel, their frustration , our justice .. history repeating ? Hope not .

History repeating? Des at bulldogs gets them to 2 grand finals , good effort but one Ben Barba largely got them to the GF as the Dally M player of the year…. 2021 Manly get into the top 4 carried by the form of another try score fullback freak and Dally M player Tom Turbo.

what interest me is the dogs horrible form post 2014 , with props taking hit ups on the last tackle 10m from the opposition try line , or ballplaying , that crap Hooker they got to replace Mick Ennis , Ennis pops off to win a GF at the sharks , free from Des dead man walking game plan, someone called Moses who cant walk on water while playing every position cause one days he might fine a spot that works for him . in short every commentator was reporting the dogs were clueless , no Bellamy type longevity here. The Dogs expired fast.

and now , to not be rotating in Weekes, Tuitavake, Roumanos, Vargas, Fifita, Fulton , GCKT, some of them , ok pick two , or one even , ONE , because we might get flogged, is to fail to pathway our talent ..why not use the next few weeks to head start 2023 seasons by giveing them a free pass on expectations , give a couple of them 20 mins , for three weeks , we may find out something useful , that 20 games of flegg or Blacktown won’t tell us. For example , Weekes is a gun , Or isn’t .

this seasons is feeling a lot like the dying dogs , 2015 - 2017 , they were great years to pop into the Kennel, their frustration , our justice .. history repeating ? Hope not .
I hope not!! because if they were going down hill before they finally got rid of Des it certainly got a hell of lot worse after they got rid of him…and they still haven’t recovered.. Doggies are still in a kind of footy dark ages. I don’t think becoming a homage Penrith team will work for them either. It’s kind like a fake Rolex..

I prefer Omega but appreciate your point . I’m not emotionally ready for a strong performing Dish lickers . It’s bad enough watching the chickens ( 2014 pain) and the drizzle (2007 outrage) , at least we can enjoy the worms loosing when they are suppose to win, and the eighties GF loss almost gone, sort of .

Jonduke could not agree more
If Des would give some of the younger guys ago it might introduce some “hava go attitude “ instead of the slow “couldn’t give a fk” attitude

That hooker was Michael Lichaa Des let go Damien Cook for him.

Jonduke could not agree more
If Des would give some of the younger guys ago it might introduce some “hava go attitude “ instead of the slow “couldn’t give a fk” attitude

Agreed. A few weeks ago with seven players out of the team, a group of young players were added and gave Sydney City a run for their money. Sure they didn't win and I'm not suggesting Des drops half a team. But young players add energy and enthusiasm, something that's missing from the team at the moment. May even give some players not performing up to standard a shot in the arm. Certainly Weekes deserves an opportunity. Maybe even young Fulton, who showed effort. Sometimes for all Hasler's nous about the game, I get the impression he is blinkered, or just too scared to take a chance. What's to be lost? The season is over. Time to experiment surely. See what the young guys can offer. Des definitely needs an assistant coach with new ideas.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8