[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Question to everyone. If Scott Penn came out and said, we've secretly been negotiating with Craig Bellamy, and starting 2023, he's coming on board with his chosen assistants for 4 years, would that be acceptable?

Or would we still be fighting for Des and signing petitions?

Question to everyone. If Scott Penn came out and said, we've secretly been negotiating with Craig Bellamy, and starting 2023, he's coming on board with his chosen assistants for 4 years, would that be acceptable?

Are you secretly Craig Bellamy @Ryan ? I thought MOD did have some of his defects of character. @:cool: :cool: @:cool:

Mate, that would be acceptable.

Just about an article I seen on Facebook manly seaeagles news apparently Des Hasler knew about pride jersey year before? I had suspicion but thought I'd share,plot thickens

I read that too according to Brent Read. If true then puts a whole new slant on what has gone on.

The only articles I've seen say the football Dept was informed, not Des Hasler. This 'now revealed' by Rothfield:
Phil Rothfield
..........."The Daily Telegraph has obtained copies of emails between Sea Eagles commercial boss Luke Tucker and Manly’s general manager of football John Bonasera from May 24 this year in which the jersey was approved .....
It can now be revealed Bonasera did not pass on the information to Hasler.
"

The only articles I've seen say the football Dept was informed, not Des Hasler. This 'now revealed' by Rothfield.
There was an article on social media stating months ago when pride jersey capitulated that Des Hasler and his football dept new , obviously since then we have since realised he didn't know if u believe what is now written ,either way won't change result Des unfortunately will be made reduntant ,as he blamed owners and club for fiasco or he may be saved if he adheres to the owners demands 🤔

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere?

Des Hasler’s threat to take legal action against Manly over the pride jersey fiasco has taken a new turn as an explosive leaked email indicated his own football department signed off on the rainbow jersey months before the controversy tore apart the NRL team. The Daily Telegraph has obtained copies of emails between Sea Eagles commercial boss Luke Tucker and Manly’s general manager of football John Bonasera from May 24 this year in which the jersey was approved – two months before seven players boycotted the game against the Roosters. It can now be revealed Bonasera did not pass on the information to Hasler. In an email on a Tuesday afternoon at 4.46pm, Tucker wrote: “I just want to double check before production commences that we won’t have any issues with any players wearing these jerseys for this one-off game.” An attachment also showed the design of the jersey.

Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans and coach Des Hasler addressing the media around the pride jersey debacle in July. Picture: NCA Newswire/Gaye Gerard

In response, at 5.52pm, Bonasera wrote: “Don’t see an issue at all mate.” Tucker went on to clearly explain in the email the club’s motivation for producing the jersey. “It’s for everyone. Male, female, gay, straight, black, white, etc, etc. It’s certainly not just focused on LGBTQ.” he wrote. It is unusual in that Bonasera has a tight relationship with Hasler and has rarely made a decision, or signed off on anything, without the consent of a coach who is a renowned micro manager. Bonasera did not return calls to The Daily Telegraph on Monday night. Sources say he has since apologised to Hasler for keeping him out of the loop. The Manly Sea Eagles board had earlier approved the jersey on the proviso the football department was supportive. Hasler’s relationship with the club has deteriorated to such an extent that he is not expected to see out the week, with Anthony Seibold expected to take over.

Leaked email.

Leaked email.
Leaked email.

When the controversy first erupted and seven players withdrew from the game against the Roosters, Hasler spoke at a press conference and took aim at the Sea Eagles board and senior management.
He claimed: “None of the coaching staff nor the players had prior knowledge to the jersey.
“I feel for these players. They were not included in any of the discussions of the decision making of the jersey, at a minimum they should have been consulted. “There are always going to be subsets of society who have cultural and religious views and they must always be considered. Ultimately this comes down to discussion and collaboration.” It turns out the breakdown in communications came from his own department, not the board or senior management. The controversy destroyed Manly’s season, the team losing its last seven games. A major split between the seven players and the rest of the team tore the club apart at a time when their finals hopes were on the line. Hasler has been threatening to take legal action against the club for allegedly compromising his ability to fulfil his contractual obligations. He needed a top-six finish in the NRL in 2022 to get a contract extension for the 2024 season.

Manly Sea Eagles football manager John Bonasera.

Manly Sea Eagles football manager John Bonasera.

The Daily Telegraph revealed last week that Hasler was prepared to argue that the jersey was launched without the blessing of the players or the football department, which impeded his ability to achieve his contract key performance indicators. Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov declined to comment when contacted by The Daily Telegraph. He had not started in the role when the emails were exchanged.

This is covering old ground but when the jersey was announced, didn't they have three players who had already modelled it for the cameras? And this was seemingly unknown to the rest of the players

Just a feeling but I would suggest that DT excerpt is only part of the story...

Monday Buzz: Former Bulldogs chairman Ray Dib says Manly must sack coach Des Hasler​

The man who sacked Des Hasler at Canterbury has warned Manly to act quickly or suffer the same fate as the Bulldogs.

Phil Rothfield Sports Editor-at-large

The man who sacked Des Hasler at the Canterbury Bulldogs says the Manly Sea Eagles need to do the same thing immediately. Ray Dib was chairman of the Bulldogs when Hasler departed in tumultuous circumstances that are strikingly similar to the current power struggle on the northern beaches. “They should do a payout now and move on,” Dib said. “Too much damage has been done to relationships. Once you lose trust there is no going back. “It’s in the best interests of everyone. Just cut it off now because there is no hope when the two parties can’t work together.” We can reveal Manly Sea Eagles owner and chairman Scott Penn and chief executive Tony Mestrov have privately spoken about protecting the club from the turmoil that engulfed Belmore in 2017. The dispute at Canterbury finished up with Hasler getting a $1 million payout in an out-of-court settlement.

Des Hasler during his Canterbury days. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

The Bulldogs, since Hasler’s departure, have not finished higher than 12th on the ladder.
They are only now showing signs of recovery. This is why Manly is taking the power away from Hasler. “He’s been head coach, head of recruitment, head of football and CEO for too long,” said one Manly insider, “Des wants to control everything.”Manly keep looking back to some horrible mistakes that were made at Canterbury in recruitment while Dessie was running the show.
In 2015, they foolishly offloaded Michael Ennis (for Michael Lichaa) and Dale Finucane to Melbourne Storm. The next year they let Shaun Lane and Damien Cook go. In 2019, two years after Hasler left, the Morris brothers Josh and Brett were forced out by salary cap pressure that Hasler’s big back-ended contracts created.

Ray Dib. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Ray Dib. Picture: Jonathan Ng
Front page of The Daily Telegraph.

Front page of The Daily Telegraph.

These included under-performing Greg Eastwood and Tony ‘T Rex’ Williams, who were earning $800,000-a-season towards the end of the contracts. This is why Manly have got on the front foot with Hasler. It has become such a bitter power struggle with Hasler’s camp now even threatening legal action.It’s sad and could be seen as disrespectful that such a coaching legend is being squeezed out so ruthlessly. Yet you can almost understand that the club needs to go in a new direction. They can’t afford five years of terrible results like the Bulldogs have experienced.
They now see their future in former South Sydney and Broncos coach Anthony Seibold.
And they want a football club structured in a way where the head coach has nowhere near the power and authority that Hasler has had at Brookvale for years.
At least Hasler saved plenty of coin for Penn doing all those jobs since Penn likes running Manly like it's Aldi. 😆

Last edited:
They are worried about Manly turning into a crisis like the dogs?
That ship has sailed I would suggest...
This does not get better regardless... the Turbos are going to get sick of the revolving coach door and look elsewhere whilst contracts have been renewed for a semi-retired DCE and a bunch of blokes with no commitment to the club...
This situation was allowed to play out far too long and the club should have moved Des on once it became obvious that his style of coaching was no longer competitive with the top sides...
They have absolutely no excuse for putting the club in this situation, we have seen this horse race before and Des rides Self Interest like a demon....

So Des will only get a $450,00 pay out if sacked ... hence the legal threat.
Also, I'd imagine if the defence is that Bonasaro didn't tell him, then that is hardly, legally, on the club.
It could also be argued that Hasler's bristly demeanour, is directly responsible for communication breakdowns.

Im a des fan, while i hate the footy implications, im not too hurt by dessies inability to not get along with Penn twice. After all the CEOs the original dess departure, the toovey travesty , barretts BBQs , quantum, the board, max, eagles angels ,no sprint coach , its endless

des is des.I Still think he is the only component in manlys big 3 ( Des, DCE, Penn, )that can deliver a trophy. But in the end the owner gets what the owner is prepared to pay for and if he is going to pay des out, so be it. Des is no angel though, and i expressed doubt , that at the back end of 21 he coached for his extension more so. In fairness, this season looked the same

pretty sure from memory a top 8 finish this season after top 4 gave him an extension contractually for 24,

Penn has been fighting for control since day 1, the methods have been ugly . But its time ti realise that the club has an emotional community attachment, pay des out what the contract says, hire seibold.NOW, if des is to GO legal about clauses , he can do so .but currently your just pissing on the corpse, you need to resurrect if you want glory.

You dont offer bellamy this corpse and hope the master wants to ruin his legacy.

So Des will only get a $450,00 pay out if sacked ... hence the legal threat.
Also, I'd imagine if the defence is that Bonasaro didn't tell him, then that is hardly, legally, on the club.
It could also be argued that Hasler's bristly demeanour, is directly responsible for communication breakdowns.
$450? Pretty measly pay out.;)

I have a theory about how Des's team selection process. Over the decades there has been many anecdotes about Des's frugality with money & possessions. I would suggest this as a reason why Des does not drop more highly paid players, even when they are out of form. When a lesser paid player deserves to be promoted, Des won't replace the more highly paid player. It seems like he doesn't want to 'waste' the more highly paid player by not selecting him. There may have been exceptions to this over the years, but it appears Des's mode of team selection may be tied to this aspect of his personality. What do others think?
I have only skimmed through this thread, but for what it's worth I rate Des a genuine Manly man who has provided great moments, but also has created much of his own issues also.
Personally feel Des has been stubborn in this regard more due to ego....as an example, he has left failed players in to prove they were the right selection in the first place, over the fact he had made an error with selection.
Sometimes after a Win this has proven effective, other times been a nightmare groundhog day with certain under performing who have held their place over youngsters, who were hungry and deserved a shot as potentially had more upside.
This is a roundabout type arguement where others will talk about throwing players in too young ect, but I think good enough is old enough and the energy for example a young Fulton added energy and enthusiasm, which was a big ingredient sadly lacking in 2022.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10