[Resurrected] SACK Des Hasler!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
One thing I find interesting about Des is considering how long he has coached for how few (if any?) of his assistants have gone on to be head coaches / coaches elsewhere especially when you compare this to Bellamey or Robinson (or even Sheens)

One thing I find interesting about Des is considering how long he has coached for how few (if any?) of his assistants have gone on to be head coaches / coaches elsewhere especially when you compare this to Bellamey or Robinson (or even Sheens)
i think as a coach, man management, recruitment money ball strategy, keeping squads together and cap rotation is where des is more effective, rather than a tactician. the old players used to spruik about the tactics being player led

i know he gets a lot of flak about contracts but if he kept foran next season and the fact he has been able to stagger contracts for most of the emerging young talent we were looking ok. expecting schuster and the young halves to impress as well. transitions seemed natural.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere?

Des Hasler’s threat to take legal action against Manly over the pride jersey fiasco has taken a new turn as an explosive leaked email indicated his own football department signed off on the rainbow jersey months before the controversy tore apart the NRL team. The Daily Telegraph has obtained copies of emails between Sea Eagles commercial boss Luke Tucker and Manly’s general manager of football John Bonasera from May 24 this year in which the jersey was approved – two months before seven players boycotted the game against the Roosters. It can now be revealed Bonasera did not pass on the information to Hasler. In an email on a Tuesday afternoon at 4.46pm, Tucker wrote: “I just want to double check before production commences that we won’t have any issues with any players wearing these jerseys for this one-off game.” An attachment also showed the design of the jersey.

Manly captain Daly Cherry-Evans and coach Des Hasler addressing the media around the pride jersey debacle in July. Picture: NCA Newswire/Gaye Gerard

In response, at 5.52pm, Bonasera wrote: “Don’t see an issue at all mate.” Tucker went on to clearly explain in the email the club’s motivation for producing the jersey. “It’s for everyone. Male, female, gay, straight, black, white, etc, etc. It’s certainly not just focused on LGBTQ.” he wrote. It is unusual in that Bonasera has a tight relationship with Hasler and has rarely made a decision, or signed off on anything, without the consent of a coach who is a renowned micro manager. Bonasera did not return calls to The Daily Telegraph on Monday night. Sources say he has since apologised to Hasler for keeping him out of the loop. The Manly Sea Eagles board had earlier approved the jersey on the proviso the football department was supportive. Hasler’s relationship with the club has deteriorated to such an extent that he is not expected to see out the week, with Anthony Seibold expected to take over.

Leaked email.

Leaked email.
Leaked email.

When the controversy first erupted and seven players withdrew from the game against the Roosters, Hasler spoke at a press conference and took aim at the Sea Eagles board and senior management.
He claimed: “None of the coaching staff nor the players had prior knowledge to the jersey.
“I feel for these players. They were not included in any of the discussions of the decision making of the jersey, at a minimum they should have been consulted. “There are always going to be subsets of society who have cultural and religious views and they must always be considered. Ultimately this comes down to discussion and collaboration.” It turns out the breakdown in communications came from his own department, not the board or senior management. The controversy destroyed Manly’s season, the team losing its last seven games. A major split between the seven players and the rest of the team tore the club apart at a time when their finals hopes were on the line. Hasler has been threatening to take legal action against the club for allegedly compromising his ability to fulfil his contractual obligations. He needed a top-six finish in the NRL in 2022 to get a contract extension for the 2024 season.

Manly Sea Eagles football manager John Bonasera.

Manly Sea Eagles football manager John Bonasera.

The Daily Telegraph revealed last week that Hasler was prepared to argue that the jersey was launched without the blessing of the players or the football department, which impeded his ability to achieve his contract key performance indicators. Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov declined to comment when contacted by The Daily Telegraph. He had not started in the role when the emails were exchanged.
The email describes a very reasonable jersey idea. Wtf went wrong.

i think as a coach, man management, recruitment money ball strategy, keeping squads together and cap rotation is where des is more effective, rather than a tactician. the old players used to spruik about the tactics being player led

i know he gets a lot of flak about contracts but if he kept foran next season and the fact he has been able to stagger contracts for most of the emerging young talent we were looking ok. expecting schuster and the young halves to impress as well. transitions seemed natural.
But it says something to his appraoch to coaching that he either creates incredible loyalty or does not skill his assistants up enough

This jersey fiasco was dumb and didn't help anything, but if we are going to be honest, the season was a basket case well before this.
There were already power struggles top end, injuries as usual and the team was basically going through the motions and ordinary at best.
The big "we beat Melbourne" stuff was ridiculous, as Storm played that poorly 12 teams would have beat them that game and yet they still came back and nearly won from 24 points down !!
The side has lacked ability to match top 4 and been simply "off the pace" in the games that matter.
I was over the Jersey BS after a day and it was over used as an excuse for an already under performing team.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8