Sack Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Should we sack Trent

• Total voters

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Hard to tell from the outside looking in, but it seems to me that the players all really like Barrett (probably because of his dreamy eyes and meticulously tousled hair), which is great. The problem is, it's also apparent that - apart from relating to the players - he's not a very good coach. That shocking conclusion is based purely on his results at junior level (his one season at Penrith) and with our NRL side over the past three years. The team has shown glimpses of heart and talent, but he's failed to establish any consistency. Sure, he might not be working with the greatest roster in the NRL, but really, he should be getting a lot more more out of what he's got.
Looking backwards (i.e., to Des) isn't the answer, and I'd love to think he can get us out of the hole we're in, but I just don't think he can. He and the rest of the coaching staff have to be held accountable at some point. The only question is when.

pjayz

הנשרים ישרור בעוד שנתיים מיום הנשרים
That’s was a strange press conference. I have supported Barrett for the last three years, but I have to say he has lost me now.

That presser spoke volumes to me. Nonchalant, excuses and minimised the issues.

Changes need to be made.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I'd love to see two signs at our next BROOKVALE home game......

Sack Barrett

and / or

What's A Results Driven Business Mr Penn?

Barrett was a half without too much imagination as a player.....yet the rep selectors loved him (but hey, they also tried Mitchell Pearce for 8 years in Origin and look at where that got them o_O ). He coaches like he played, little to no imagination.

highlandeagle

Where eagles soar
I'd love to see two signs at our next BROOKVALE home game......

Sack Barrett

and / or

What's A Results Driven Business Mr Penn?

Barrett was a half without too much imagination as a player.....yet the rep selectors loved him (but hey, they also tried Mitchell Pearce for 8 years in Origin and look at where that got them o_O ). He coaches like he played, little to no imagination.

Thats why he's not maligned in the press as he should be.Belongs to the clique of players and commentators like kimmorley, tallis ,gasnier and the johns brothers that lick each other's behinds and won't criticise each other. The wheels are well and truly off Barretts coaching wagon. And I'll be death riding the pretty boy imposter till he is shown the door.

It's worrying when your playmakers dish out the same crap in consecutive weeks. This is either a game plan of the coach or the players are ****e and/or they are disregarding the coach's orders. Either way TB needs to be accountable.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
The results are there for all to see with Barrett.

Just take a look at the Penrith U/20s......
2013 - Premiers
2014 - 9th
2015 - Premiers
2016 - Grand Finalist

2014 was the one year Barrett coached them. And if Gus Gould was as big a fan of his coaching as he likes to claim, why did he immediately remove him as their 20s coach after just one year? He got him straight out of there and made him the first grade assistant to Cleary.....a position where he wouldn't have a major influence. And when he was removed from the U/20s, they went back to being dominant.

Then there is Manly.

2015 - 9th under Tooves (after 3 straight Finals appearances including a Prelim and a Grand Final)
2016 - 13th
2017 - 8th (after the Finals)
2018 - 13th

Does that look like the resume of a successful coach or one who will be successful?

I know we have had a lot of injuries.....but then so have other teams. Hell, the team currently leading the premiership has had as many injuries as we have and look at the difference. And they have a coach who is supposedly not as good.

XV-1

First Grader
Dead wood should of been removed long ago. Going by the presser its so obvious that coach is clueless. What an embarressment.Hang your head in shame Barrett .

Barrett even seems Clueless of what is happening in the game. he was going on about the forward pass from Tommy t and then said if we got that we would have only been 14 points behind with 10 minutes to go . the game was lost at that stage but he was trying to sugar coat it as if we were only just behind and a chance for a win
we were beaten easily by the Warriors

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Look, I wanted Barrett to be successful because if he was it meant that Manly was as well.

Right now with Barrett as coach.....success is becoming more a forlorn hope than the norm that we are used to with this club.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Just watched the press conference. Reassuring to know that while Suli's infringement was no biggie, he still dropped him because he wants to ensure he's still a first grader in 10 years. That's great for whatever club he'll be playing for in a decade, but with the 2018 season on the line today? Yeah nah.
Maybe the Eternal Rookie should look for a career in player welfare and not as a coach.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Take a look at even today's team.

Tom Trbojevic - NSW Origin, Australian international
Jorge Taufua - Tongan international
Brad Parker
Brian Kelly - Country Origin
Akuila Uate - NSW Origin, Australian and Fijian international
Trent Hodkinson - NSW Origin
Daly Cherry-Evans - Qld Origin, Australian international
Addin Fonua-Blake - NZ international
Api Koroisau - Fijian international
Martin Taupau - NZ international
Joel Thompson - Country Origin
Shaun Lane
Jake Trbojevic - NSW Origin, Australian international

Matthew Wright - Samoan international
Toafofoa Sipley
Frank Winterstein - Samoan international
Taniela Paseka

13 of the 17 have some sort of representative experience, most of it international and a lot of it extensive. OK sure, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa are hardly the top echelon like Australia or New Zealand, but that is still test match experience and those players were still deemed good enough for international selection.

And we lost by 20.....a week after we lost by 14 to a team running 14th with virtually a reserve grade quality pack save one player and a halfback who was past his used by date in 2017.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Take a look at even today's team.

Tom Trbojevic - NSW Origin, Australian international
Jorge Taufua - Tongan international
Brad Parker
Brian Kelly - Country Origin
Akuila Uate - NSW Origin, Australian and Fijian international
Trent Hodkinson - NSW Origin
Daly Cherry-Evans - Qld Origin, Australian international
Addin Fonua-Blake - NZ international
Api Koroisau - Fijian international
Martin Taupau - NZ international
Joel Thompson - Country Origin
Shaun Lane
Jake Trbojevic - NSW Origin, Australian international

Matthew Wright - Samoan international
Toafofoa Sipley
Frank Winterstein - Samoan international
Taniela Paseka

13 of the 17 have some sort of representative experience, most of it international and a lot of it extensive. OK sure, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa are hardly the top echelon like Australia or New Zealand, but that is still test match experience and those players were still deemed good enough for international selection.

And we lost by 20.....a week after we lost by 14 to a team running 14th with virtually a reserve grade quality pack save one player and a halfback who was past his used by date in 2017.
Our team is not playing to their potential that's for sure .
Our coaching staff should be getting more out of them

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Trent Barrett may be a nice guy and all that, but this is a professional sport. Coaches need to be ruthless, not everyone's best friend.

Do you think Ron Willey or Frank Stanton or Bob Fulton or Des Hasler were so successful because they were sensitive about people's feelings? Hell no. They were successful because it was their way or the highway and if you didn't like it, bad luck. They got the best out of their respective teams and weren't shy about making changes when they felt it was needed.

And they didn't just do it at Manly. Willey was a successful NSW Origin coach, Stanton and Fulton were highly successful Kangaroos coaches while Bozo also took the Chooks to a Grand Final, and while Des' time at Belmore ended in somewhat of a disaster, he still took them to the finals in all bar 2017, including 2 Grand Finals.

Barrett couldn't even get a dominant Panthers U/20s team to the Finals.

Last edited:

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Actually, I clearly recall many people on here calling for Dessie's head back in the day for the very reason he was reluctant to change the side. Much more reluctant than Barrett I would suggest. Not that I'm sticking up for Barrett in any way.

I do get your point. I also remember that despite some calls for his head, we did put up with it mostly because Des was Manly, even though he was originally Penrith, but he had spent almost all of his career as a Sea Eagle including winning two premierships as a player. He was as good as being a Manly junior, he was (was.....) one of our own.

Manly fans tend to not suffer outsiders, especially coaches, who come in and are not successful. And if he hasn't already, Trent Barrett is quickly falling into that category.

Last edited:

Harvies elbow

I'm a country member....... " Yes we remember "
2017 Tipping Competitor
Our team is not playing to their potential that's for sure .
Our coaching staff should be getting more out of them
Compare them with the druggo's tigpies and the riff who have been knocked around by injuries, as we have, and rosters aren't much different.
We are playing like sh*t.
I'm over it.
The players are not responding to what's being instructed to them.
And if they are then Doris the tea lady might as well come up with the game plan.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Yes, I think I have stuck with Barrett longer than most on here, but it's pretty clear we aren't progressing, injuries and roster issues notwithstanding. Time for a change, but to who I have no idea.

That's the problem.....who? The only Manly ones out there are Tooves, who is no chance while the Penn's own the club, Des who might be a chance given his good personal relationship with Zorba and the Penn's, but would the fans welcome him back after post-2011? And the other is Ivan Cleary who seems settled as Wests coach. Though I have no doubt that at some point in the future he would love to come "home".

The only other decent coaches really on the market would be Maguire or Bellamy and if he does leave Melbourne, I doubt Bellyache would choose to come to Manly over Brisbane. And unless Doesn't-matta's win tonight was the start of their revival which save's Arthur's bacon, Maguire is more likely to end up there than here.

There is also the fact that Barrett is contracted until 2020. If we do end up sacking him, we'd have to pay him out and knowing the NRL, they would include that (or his full contract) as part of our coaching staff salary cap. I can't see Barrett deciding to quit, not the least being because that would be the only way he wouldn't get paid.

Between a rock and a hard place. There isn't much in the way of options.

And please don't say Cartwright.

Last edited:
Nice guy coach that was a rep because he played in a window of talentless peers and coached an unbeatable junior team out of the finals:

You tried hard and followed the game plan..they were better than us today, we have had a lot of injuries and the cap bull**** hurting us so keep at it, we will get better.

Real coach:

It's not ok to lose... where is your pride in the great Manly guernsey? FFS! Some of you guys will be playing reggies next week with that Jacko dickhead if you don't start respecting our legacy.

Don't make me bring Igor and Ronnie down here to teach you some respect or I fu**ing will, promise
. Get the f*ck out of here and do a lot of soul searching... and anyone who turns up at training with a smile on their face is in for a long drive to Blacktown..

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18