Saab

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Does anyone know when Parker is back? Is he gone for the season? I'd be happy to see Parker come in to centre, Koala to FB and Garrick back to wing. And that's no criticism of Garrick in the FB role as he's been outstanding, all things considered. I just think that shift strengthens the team overall and gives Koala some much needed time and space. He's just suffocated outside the chook.

I don't think we need to wait for Parker to be back.
Tippy is a centre. Play him there, move Koula to FB and Garrick back to wing.
Agreeing with you, a lot more dangerous team.

I think we run a greater risk with Koula back there, but I’d be happy with the inevitable errors and learning curve it will likely entail. I think the longer term rewards would be worth it.

Fair point and not defending Saab because he was poor BUT zero protection. It was 2/3 v 1 every time. That said when diffusing long kicks he caught them comfortably. Every time a bomb went up his technique catching a ball above his head was very poor. Garrick replaces him on the wing every time but Garrick has been excellent at FB. Not sure we have an alternative, even in Vaega.

Terrible protection

I'll back Saab to come good. But not any time soon. I'm again happy for him to learn in ressies. The use of his body and positioning is as bad as it gets. He is so timid of collision. He needs plenty of practice. What should be a strength is an absolute weakness.

Give Vaega or Smalley a go.

People wanted to exile Garrick in his second season as well.

Saab will work it out.
I think he will work it out as well but gee he is green. He has not much idea of catching a bomb.. his hands in general are ordinary and as I said on another post he had no idea on how to cover defend last night and ended up on the chase of Holmes... in front of Holmes. He isn't great coming out of trouble and can't do a tough carry. He needs to put on some muscle... he has heaps of skill and upside and yes I think he will come good but it will take another 12 months I think.

Ever since Tommy's been gone, Saab hasn't risen to any great heights, and is now basically been made redundant. And it's going to stay this way for the remainder of the season. It's hard to carry a player who gives away so many errors in a game, surely Las Vegas is now breathing down his neck now.

Saab was exactly the same last year ... he has NOT lost form ... he is NOT suffering 2nd year syndrome ..

His errors, tackling, defensive reads, kick returns, leaping and general involvement were all just as bad last year ... however everybody chose to ignore it because he was tall and fast and Tommy was having a day out.

Lack of coordination and agility are not things that will improve with age ... what you are seeing is what you are going to keep seeing.

But, on the end of a firing backline he can be devastating ..

Does anyone know when Parker is back? Is he gone for the season? I'd be happy to see Parker come in to centre, Koala to FB and Garrick back to wing. And that's no criticism of Garrick in the FB role as he's been outstanding, all things considered. I just think that shift strengthens the team overall and gives Koala some much needed time and space. He's just suffocated outside the chook.

I don't see any upside messing with the development of Koula as a centre. The kids long term future is as a 3/4 in our side.
If as a short term fix in a season where we aren't going to do much you move him you are only affecting him for next year.

Koula will be devastating next year with almost a full season in the 3/4 position.

As mentioned earlier Garrick was a hot pile of poo in his second season. He was screamed at on here who demanded he be shipped out . Those struggles have made him into a much better NRL player now.

Same will happen for Saab.

Saab was exactly the same last year ... he has NOT lost form ... he is NOT suffering 2nd year syndrome ..

His errors, tackling, defensive reads, kick returns, leaping and general involvement were all just as bad last year ... however everybody chose to ignore it because he was tall and fast and Tommy was having a day out.

Lack of coordination and agility are not things that will improve with age ... what you are seeing is what you are going to keep seeing.

But, on the end of a firing backline he can be devastating ..
Spot on mate, although I think Saab still has plenty of growth in him. I feel like he is going to have to sacrifice some of his speed to beef up a little, in order to play with the big boys. And I hope the coaching staff recognise this. But end of the day, at this point of time, he is the 3rd best winger on the roster. A fully fit squad and he doesn't make the cut in my opinion

Go Dark Helmet GIF

I don't see any upside messing with the development of Koula as a centre. The kids long term future is as a 3/4 in our side.
If as a short term fix in a season where we aren't going to do much you move him you are only affecting him for next year.

Koula will be devastating next year with almost a full season in the 3/4 position.

As mentioned earlier Garrick was a hot pile of poo in his second season. He was screamed at on here who demanded he be shipped out . Those struggles have made him into a much better NRL player now.

Same will happen for Saab.
yes any talk of moving safe as houses Garrick from fullback is crazy talk. Yes he still has some things to learn and he needs to attack every bomb himself if he is in the area but he is another footballers footballer. All effort and high quality. The chances of moving Koula back there while Garrick is fit is absolutely nil... and there is absolutely no need to. Garrick is no Tom but he is generally doing a superb job.

Tommy does all the things Saab is lacking in. Given his salary and his current contribution to the team, I wonder if he couldn't be his personal coach for a bit?

Tommy does all the things Saab is lacking in. Given his salary and his current contribution to the team, I wonder if he couldn't be his personal coach for a bit?
Its an age this too. Saab is young. Up until now his speed did the work. Now he needs to harden up and progress. He will be fine.

Ever since Tommy's been gone, Saab hasn't risen to any great heights, and is now basically been made redundant. And it's going to stay this way for the remainder of the season. It's hard to carry a player who gives away so many errors in a game, surely Las Vegas is now breathing down his neck now.
Ray-Rays rearing to go. But Des will run with predictable Jorge if it comes to that.

Last edited:
yes any talk of moving safe as houses Garrick from fullback is crazy talk. Yes he still has some things to learn and he needs to attack every bomb himself if he is in the area but he is another footballers footballer. All effort and high quality. The chances of moving Koula back there while Garrick is fit is absolutely nil... and there is absolutely no need to. Garrick is no Tom but he is generally doing a superb job.
The stupidity of people who live in fear and look for safe options to not rock the boat. Dumb. It's not a jibe on Garrick who has done a fantastic job. It's about strengthening the team overall. Some will argue (well, one actually) Koula is a 3/4 moving forward. I say, give him some time and opportunity at FB to see what he really has. We have Tommy Tissue there now (though ironically, not), but there is so much doubt around his durability we would be stupid to neglect this and rely on Garrick being our FB forever moving forward. If people think Garrick is a genuine FB moving forward then OK... keep the status quo. As great as he has been I don't see him ever matching the likes of a Tedesco or Turbo. With Koula, I (we) have no idea of what his ceiling is. All we have seen so far is scraps of him in the centre outside a crabbing DCE with zero opportunity. Give the kid a farrrrking crack, please.

The stupidity of people who live in fear and look for safe options to not rock the boat. Dumb. It's not a jibe on Garrick who has done a fantastic job. It's about strengthening the team overall. Some will argue (well, one actually) Koula is a 3/4 moving forward. I say, give him some time and opportunity at FB to see what he really has. We have Tommy Tissue there now (though ironically, not), but there is so much doubt around his durability we would be stupid to neglect this and rely on Garrick being our FB forever moving forward. If people think Garrick is a genuine FB moving forward then OK... keep the status quo. As great as he has been I don't see him ever matching the likes of a Tedesco or Turbo. With Koula, I (we) have no idea of what his ceiling is. All we have seen so far is scraps of him in the centre outside a crabbing DCE with zero opportunity. Give the kid a farrrrking crack, please.
Does make sense mate.......wonder how this would work:-
Coca Koula
Saab
Trbo
Tuipulotu
Garrick

Does make sense mate.......wonder how this would work:-
Coca Koula
Saab
Trbo
Tuipulotu
Garrick
I'm all for exploring those possibilities, mate. I mean, we aint winning no titles with the current mindset and player positions, so why the farrrk not?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4