Saab

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If Parker injured ,Tui to centre with Garrick wing.
Otherwise Saab to Blacktown ,with right side being Koula centre & Tui wing.
Koula & Tui stiffen up that right defence alot more than Saab & Harper and both
also can find the tryline.
The stiffer D added to that side outweighs Saab's attack as both new blokes have no trouble finding the line.

It's a tough one whether to drop Saab or not with Turbo coming back. On form our best back 5 is easily: Turbo, Garrick, Parker, Koula, Tui. But it's just the youth and the potential of Saab (and his 2021 season) that's making me think we might have to persevere with him. It's effort areas with this kid, he needs to learn there's more to the game than speed and height. But I also think it'd be absolutely illegal to drop Chrisitan after how good he's been in these last few weeks. Headaches.

I agree Saab could get more involved but it is clear that his role in the team is not a metre eater!
Seems a lot of people have short memories but do we recall teams targeting Jorge with their kicking games (both bombs & in and behind).
Saab is in the side as finisher...to convert our half chances & defuse/attack.bombs that in previous years we couldn't! Thinks haven't panned out too well as yet for him this year but he & koula look a much better combo then Harper in defence.
Imo its better for team balance to have 2 different style of wingers in the team.

also Let's not forget we were a player down last night... i think the main reason he was retreating in d was that he thought he could cover the extra man with his speed (which he will learn from).

On a side note I agree Christian is going great guns, but he is yet to be thoroughly tested with the opposition kicking game also so something to be mindful of

I'm not sure we can drop Saab. He's like DCE's security blanket on that right side. What attacking plays will we have if he isn't there ? No more bomb to Saabs corner to use his height. No more attempted quick spread cut out ball to use his speed. No more crossfield kick in our own half to use his speed. No more early kick downfield to use his speed. If "Blankie" isn't there then we won't have many trick shots.

His defence was pretty bad last night, and his post contact metres are non existent as a rule. He adds value if we can use his speed/height, but if we can't get him in positions to utilise that then there's not a lot of other upside. Garrick used to have the same problem, getting rag dolled on carries - he has improved exponentially in that department. Saab needs to get on whatever programme Ruebs was on and work on that aspect of his game.

Mentioned this before, but it's all become too confusing now from my lounge room with bourbon dribbling down my chin....
Manly when in red hot attacking positions kick for Saab....he makes the catch 80% of the time above his opposite number....due to the fact the kicks are landing 5m - 10m from the line he generally has to pass desperately back inside to support, yet if it was over the line he scores these tries all day.
I get the fact you don't want risky kicks caught on the full in goal and a 20m restart to the opposition, but I'm yet to see Saab even close to being outjumped and why we don't cash in on this remains a mystery to me ....

Saab will get another chance especially with Tommy back next week, Des will be hoping to rekindle the combos from last season of the DCE Tom Saab combination, and now add to the mix Kalua. This could be really mouth watering.

Saab needs to get on whatever programme Ruebs was on and work on that aspect of his game.
Absolutely. He must weigh around 100 kg so the potential is there for more effective hit-ups, maybe it's a matter of practising better technique and developing a more positive mentality.

I don’t necessarily think it’s just about Saab. You’ve got Brian Tuipul-to’o on the wing and his contributions are way more important than Saab’s speed.

The back 5 are more important than the pack in the modern game because the pack can only play as well as the back 5 allow them to. Saab and previously Harper, are allowing the opposition to win contact and our sets start with a whimper. No one can play off the back of that lack of ruck speed.

You’ve got Brian Tuipul-to’o on the wing and his contributions are way more important than Saab’s speed.
That is a judgment call, though I agree with most of your post and the importance of the back 5 (not more important than the pack but probably equal).
But sometimes a player with a certain X factor can be 'carried' at times while they develop, assuming there is a belief that they will continue to develop. Example is Sam Walker, brilliant attack but so far weak in defence.

That is a judgment call, though I agree with most of your post and the importance of the back 5 (not more important than the pack but probably equal).
But sometimes a player with a certain X factor can be 'carried' at times while they develop, assuming there is a belief that they will continue to develop. Example is Sam Walker, brilliant attack but so far weak in defence.

At the risk of triggering the fanboi's .... I don't believe Saab will improve much on his deficiencies.

Unlike reading the play, which can and does improve with experience ... his weaknesses are physical in nature ... his tackling, post contact meters and lack of coordinated agility won't get much better IMO ..

I have seen poor tacklers get better .. but I have never seen one become a good tackler.

But on the other side he has electric speed and in a dominant team with Tommy and the Shu is a weapon.

It will always be a balance where he is concerned.

I give you exhibit G... garrick.
His second season was a shocker and most on here including myself were calling for his head.
Luckily Des persisted and we now have a very good winger, back up FB and goal kicker.
Yea but the whole team was suffering during that 2020 period. Garrick wasn't the only one getting **** talked. We were awful back then and wooden spoon contenders. Now we are in a midst of premiership window and we got certain areas we need to change or upgrade to become actual threats and contenders. And upgrading Saab to Christian will be massive.

Maybe not next week, but parker is a mainstay, not my opinion but dessies i believe. So with everyone back if ever, saab could go to reggies and not lose us pace as koula could fill that position alternating with tippytoes in attack and defence at times

Looking forward to seeing koula outside foz at one point..

Until Saab starts to move up and not back pedal in defence he needs to go to reggies. He doesn't go looking for the extra runs, looks lost in defence and too timid.

Tippy has been a real handful coming out of our own end, like an extra forward. Doing the work Matai and Tafua use to do.

Also good luck tackling him one on one 5 m out from the try line.

I think at this stage, Tippy adds more value to the team than Saab. Just my opinion from what I am seeing the last few weeks.

Defence is going to win this premiership. We need to shut down more threats out wide

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8