Saab

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Gun backs Perspective time ....

Gun Full backs and Gun centres that break the line help wingers go over the line

Slow Pop gun and Predictable backs are a liability in the Fast Power line breaking game

The moral of the story
If you dont have the pace you are not in the race

He's quickly become my favourite Manly player, although we've definitely got a whole swag who I think are fantastic.
His long range tries are such fun to watch. Thanks to @Jethro and his post-match links, I've bookmarked Saab's and if I'm ever having a bad day i just watch a few and that puts me back in a good mood :)

Saab is a great finisher and a huge asset in attack. Not bad with the high ball and will get more consistent in defence as long as he plays with no fear. Garrick looks very tentative at times and needs to become fearless. Both our Wingers are very very quick and that’s something we missed for years.

A couple of my favourites

I know you are big on equity and balance SER8 ... can you also post footage of the 45 missed tackles and the 24 errors ... thanks ..

Saab's ball handling is borderline u12's - it is going to cost us a game at some stage. If you watch the last 3 or 4 games he has dropped more catches than I've had hot dinners... ok I'm going over the top but just trying to emphasise it is a bit of an issue for him. He is second on the list for most errors of all nrl players just behind Valentine Holmes.
Don't get me wrong I love what he brings to the team with plenty of upside and I really hope he continues on his improvement trajectory. Hopefully over the off season this will be an aspect of his game he works real hard on.
Catching in the hands is where he has his most problems. I am kinda surprised this hasn't been mentioned too often.
I know quite a few will disagree but I think its a definite issue for him which needs a lot of work.

Ok so I think we all agree Jason needs to continue to work on his tackling technique... however shout out to him today... saved tries that could have turned the game and in past years we would have no way have even come close to stopping! Also showed that if we kick to him in the right spot (which I don't believe we have done consistently), he can be a great aerial target...
So excited by the pace of our back 3!

What a turnaround. In 2020 we had the slowest backline in the comp, and one that couldn't score from a kick. With the addition of Wasabi, a fit Turbo and a re-invigorated Sandwich we are as dynamic as anyone.
We are playing the style of RL that all of our great teams of the past played -- creative, attractive and as dangerous from our own goal line as anywhere on the field. It's a joy to watch.

2019 Article on Saab

Jason Saab grew up playing in a cardinal and myrtle South Sydney-style jersey and his father is a member of The Burrow but the 18-year-old winger hopes Friday night’s debut against the Rabbitohs will be the beginning of a long career with St George Illawarra.

Saab, who played juniors for Merrylands Rams, is considered a future star and Dragons coach Paul McGregor has been waiting patiently all season for him to finally become available for NRL selection this week.

So highly regarded is Saab at St George Illawarra that the club declined the opportunity to sign an established winger at the end of last season in the knowledge that he was coming through the ranks.

The decision enabled the Dragons to bring Corey Norman to the club a season earlier after securing him to replace Gareth Widdop and he is set to play alongside the 195cm Saab for years to come as the rookie winger has been signed until 2022.

St George Illawarra director of rugby league pathways Ian Millward said the club hoped Saab would follow in the footsteps of Jason Nightingale and enjoy a lengthy career with the Dragons

“We’ve never signed anyone as young on such a long contract but for us it was a no-brainer,” Millward said. “Speed-wise he is really good, he jumps excellently in the air, he is low maintenance off the field and he comes from a good family.

“We knew the club would be looking for taller, bigger wingers so we decided to put him on a four-year contract.”

Halfback Ben Hunt, second-rower Tariq Sims, prop Blake Lawrie and 17-year-old SG Ball playmaker Jayden Sullivan are currently the only other players committed to the club for as long, while prop Paul Vaughan has an option for the 2022 season.

Remarkably, no other club had shown interest in Saab until he was selected for NSW Under 18s last season and he had never been identified by Parramatta for a junior representative team.

Saab came to St George as a 16-year-old and what triggered the interest of Dragons officials wasn’t his performances in games but the results of testing for his acceleration, leap and strength.

“He was right up there with some of the really good players who have come through our ranks,” Millward said. “Then, in his second year of Under 18s, he just got better and better.”

The Eels and other clubs became interested just as St George Illawarra were preparing a deal for Saab but he told officials he didn’t want to play anywhere else.

“He said, ‘The Dragons gave me an opportunity so I want to stay here’,” Millward said. “His dad is a mad Rabbitohs fan. He has come to some meetings with me with his Rabbitohs jumper on and he sits in The Burrow with his mates so it is quite ironic Jason’s first game is against Souths.”

The Dragons decision to sign Saab on a long-term contract was vindicated when he starred at last year’s Australian Secondary Schools championships on the Gold Coast, along with Cronulla centre Bronson Xerri, and was chosen for an end-of-season tour to England.

saab-kiddie.jpg

Jason Saab tasting success as a junior with Merrylands Rams.

After commencing pre-season training in January, the Dragons agreed Saab should start in Under 20s for six weeks before advancing to the Mathew Head-coached Canterbury Cup team.

As one of six development players, Saab could not play NRL before June 30 and McGregor waited until after his commitments with the NSW under 20s team to select him.

“We are having an early look at an exciting talent for the future,” McGregor said. “He has been putting pressure on the players consistently throughout the year in reserve grade with some really good performances but we weren’t allowed to use him earlier.

“He was just playing too well to leave out and we want to give him a taste of first grade now. He can get nice and high, when he gets into open space he is quite quick and defensively he has a good understanding of what he needs to do.”

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8