Rumours/news about Manly from Nick Tedeschi

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
For the record, In addition to being the NZ coach in the mid-80's, Lowe was also Wigan's coach when they beat us in the 1987 World Club Challenge. He took Wigan to a couple of championships and Challenge Cups.

As a coach he had runs on the board at least.

I'd honestly be surprised if the club turfed Tooves so soon after a win and just when we're starting to get players back from injury. A new coach at this point would be a very big disruption.

Barrett has been the Country Coach for a few years. Sunday is the game.

Bozo is meant to have a wrap on him .

I think that Coaching a Team of 'the best available NRL' Players once a year, compared to the weekly grind of coaching a Team depleted by injuries and suspensions for potentially 28 weeks, is ludicrous :cool:

So if that's the case, how does any coach get a start? There would have been a time when Wayne Bennett's resume was blank as well. Or did he start his career as a 6 time premiership winner? Once again, how do you all know he is a crap coach?

youve answered your own question smarty pants; we don't know because he hasn't really done anything, which equals no creditials, which equals risk, which equals "that'll do me".

He needs to coach ONE team every week on his own in either NSW cup or NYC and get sustained results to build a resume and credentials, not hang around camps for 3-4 days putting his 2 bobs worth in. Not to mention, this guy has never once shown even a casual Interest in anything Manly related in 20 years involved in the game...he is a blow in with next to no creditials.

Ok, you answered my question with, 'We don't know...'

Thank you!

But you haven't answered the question. How do you know he CAN'T coach?
Again not rapping him just playing devils advocate but I find it funny people criticising the pathway. He's been an assistant of an nrl team for a few years. That's how most coaches then get their start so why is it a bad thing. According to that theory willow has better credentials. Current nrl coaches that were assistants before their break:
Mary mgregor
Jason Taylor
Trent Robinson
Paul green
Des hasler
Geoff toovey
Michael maguire
Rick stone
Brad arthur

And that's just off the top of my head. Nrl assistant coach is a greater responsibility than NSW cup head coach

Again not rapping him just playing devils advocate but I find it funny people criticising the pathway. He's been an assistant of an nrl team for a few years. That's how most coaches then get their start so why is it a bad thing. According to that theory willow has better credentials. Current nrl coaches that were assistants before their break:
Mary mgregor
Jason Taylor
Trent Robinson
Paul green
Des hasler
Geoff toovey
Michael maguire
Rick stone
Brad arthur

And that's just off the top of my head. Nrl assistant coach is a greater responsibility than NSW cup head coach

Mate, I agree with you. I just wanted to know how so many people were in the know that he is a dud coach. What do they know that I don't?
But anyways, my question was answered with, 'We don't know, but...'

So if that's the case, how does any coach get a start? There would have been a time when Wayne Bennett's resume was blank as well. Or did he start his career as a 6 time premiership winner? Once again, how do you all know he is a crap coach?
Not saying that he is crap, just highlighting the fact that Barrett hasn't coached week in week out - a totally different proposition. Like the limitation of being stuck with the pool of 35 Players as opposed to having the pool of Players from 16 Clubs for a Rep game.

I'm just surprised that Coaches who have experience with NYC or NSW Cup are not in consideration ahead of Barrett. Apparently Brown wants to stay and take over fro Bellamy, so he is not available.

2v was thrown in at the deep end when Dez was flicked, so I understand why Manly went with him at such a short notice.

Not saying that he is crap, just highlighting the fact that Barrett hasn't coached week in week out - a totally different proposition. Like the limitation of being stuck with the pool of 35 Players as opposed to having the pool of Players from 16 Clubs for a Rep game.

I'm just surprised that Coaches who have experience with NYC or NSW Cup are not in consideration ahead of Barrett. Apparently Brown wants to stay and take over fro Bellamy, so he is not available.

2v was thrown in at the deep end when Dez was flicked, so I understand why Manly went with him at such a short notice.
Did you even read my response to you or do you just continue blindly following your own thoughts like an infinite loop. He has been an assistant coach to an nrl side for 2 years. More than 50% of current head coaches got their break after being an assistant. It's called career progression! Can all those guys not coach? Cause several have premierships. Not being a head coach before doesn't mean you can't. In fact assistant coaching gives you the chance to step back observe what works, what doesn't and figure out your own style without as much results pressure.

Did you even read my response to you or do you just continue blindly following your own thoughts like an infinite loop. He has been an assistant coach to an nrl side for 2 years. More than 50% of current head coaches got their break after being an assistant. It's called career progression! Can all those guys not coach? Cause several have premierships. Not being a head coach before doesn't mean you can't. In fact assistant coaching gives you the chance to step back observe what works, what doesn't and figure out your own style without as much results pressure.
I was replying to Moops, not Lurker.@:cool:
Somehow missed your dictate :rolleyes:

Mate, I agree with you. I just wanted to know how so many people were in the know that he is a dud coach. What do they know that I don't?
But anyways, my question was answered with, 'We don't know, but...'
There is nothing to know because he hasn't achieved anything of note on his own, and that is why people don't want us to sign Barrett. People aren't calling HIM a dud, they just don't know enough about him because there isn't enough to know, and that's why people are up in arms over the potential employment; its a massive risk to hire a coach that is still yet to have a team of his own in any grade and have them perform consistently to build a resume.

Most prospective coaches can run a 3 day camp, or sit behind a head coach at SOO or NRL level and ride on the coat tails of others, but he is yet to prove HIMSELF as a "seasoned" coach.

There is nothing to know because he hasn't achieved anything of note on his own, and that is why people don't want us to sign Barrett. People aren't calling HIM a dud, they just don't know enough about him because there isn't enough to know, and that's why people are up in arms over the potential employment; its a massive risk to hire a coach that is stil yet to have a team of his own in any grade and have them perform consistently to build a resume.
That didn't seem to matter when they ruled out the reigning SL Premiership winning coach. He had achieved something but was also labeled as rubbish. Using the above measure means Nathan Brown is a better coach than Tooves, but he was unacceptable.

It seems that for most around here the choosing of a coach is "in the vibe" rather than what they have achieved.

I didn't know that we went after Nathan Brown...just asking ?

That didn't seem to matter when they ruled out the reigning SL Premiership winning coach. He had achieved something but was also labeled as rubbish. Using the above measure means Nathan Brown is a better coach than Tooves, but he was unacceptable.

It seems that for most around here the choosing of a coach is "in the vibe" rather than what they have achieved.
You've missed the point. I didn't say we should be measuring results between coaches to choose a candidate (so don't understand why you bought up Nathan Brown), but they at least need a track record of some kind to indicate their ability to do the job; Barrett doesn't have a track record, because he is yet to coach a team of his own in a week in week out competition. Coaching a 3 day camp like City/Country is not enough of an indication, neither is working behind a head coach at Penrith IMO.

If you think it's enough to give him the job than fair enough; I think it's a risk. If he coached a NYC team or NSW Cup team and they fared ok, I might say he is up to it. At this stage, we can't judge if he is any better or worse than Peter Sharp. In our current state and in need of a rebuild, I'd prefer we either keep Tooves or chase a coach with runs on the board at some level. If Barrett were to come to Manly, he should be given the NSW Cup to prove himself, not chucked into FG.

Peter Sharp had a great record as a coach and had coached his own team to premiership success at Newcastle before becoming an assistant at the eels yet he was a dud coach.

Every coach appointment comes with risk.

There is nothing to know because he hasn't achieved anything of note on his own, and that is why people don't want us to sign Barrett. People aren't calling HIM a dud, they just don't know enough about him because there isn't enough to know, and that's why people are up in arms over the potential employment; its a massive risk to hire a coach that is still yet to have a team of his own in any grade and have them perform consistently to build a resume.

Most prospective coaches can run a 3 day camp, or sit behind a head coach at SOO or NRL level and ride on the coat tails of others, but he is yet to prove HIMSELF as a "seasoned" coach.

But I am satisfied with the answered I got.
Question - How do you know he can't coach?
Answer - We don't, but...

That is all I wanted. I am happy with that.

Mary mgregor
Jason Taylor
Trent Robinson
Paul green
Des hasler
Geoff toovey
Michael maguire
Rick stone
Brad arthur

Wayne Bennett was also an assistant coach before he became a head coach.

He was on the losing team of the 1987 grand final.

You've missed the point. I didn't say we should be measuring results between coaches to choose a candidate (so don't understand why you bought up Nathan Brown), but they at least need a track record of some kind to indicate their ability to do the job; Barrett doesn't have a track record, because he is yet to coach a team of his own in a week in week out competition. Coaching a 3 day camp like City/Country is not enough of an indication, neither is working behind a head coach at Penrith IMO.

If you think it's enough to give him the job than fair enough; I think it's a risk. If he coached a NYC team or NSW Cup team and they fared ok, I might say he is up to it. At this stage, we can't judge if he is any better or worse than Peter Sharp. In our current state and in need of a rebuild, I'd prefer we either keep Tooves or chase a coach with runs on the board at some level. If Barrett were to come to Manly, he should be given the NSW Cup to prove himself, not chucked into FG.
Are you just repeatedly ignoring the fact I have repeatedly told you he is an assistant coach. And that the vast majority of NRL head coaches get hired from assistant positions not 20's or NSW cup. It is more prestigious and pays better to be an assistant than it does to be 20's or NSW cup therefore the whole premise of your argument is flawed........... just saying.

Then again maybe we should just trust your gut feel on everything? as much as I don't like gus he knows nothing about footy so must have just appointed Barrett for a name. That Ivan cleary bloke knows nothing as well. And back to the premise of your argument tooves never had HC experience before he became ours he was an assistant.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6