Rule changes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The RFU, English Rugby Union, has announced of changes to tackles. The highest a tackle can be made will be waist high.
Interesting to see how this develops.
That is ridiculous - the ball is the first thing you lock up ....it will be impossible to win the ball back and offloads will be impossible to stop - will become frustrating and there will be penalties for high tackles every 15 seconds so will be stop start more than a cricket game.
On the flipside with waist and lower tackles in our game, always had these thoughts...
I love nothing more than a copybook tackle around the legs, but this has been killed in rugby league as they have not worked out upstairs that the legs tackle should be rewarded, particularly 1 on 1 as a dominant tackle.

That is ridiculous - the ball is the first thing you lock up ....it will be impossible to win the ball back and offloads will be impossible to stop - will become frustrating and there will be penalties for high tackles every 15 seconds so will be stop start more than a cricket game.
On the flipside with waist and lower tackles in our game, always had these thoughts...
I love nothing more than a copybook tackle around the legs, but this has been killed in rugby league as they have not worked out upstairs that the legs tackle should be rewarded, particularly 1 on 1 as a dominant tackle.
I would love to see the one on one copybook tackle rewarded , ie if you are tackled one on one you can’t offload and if you do it’s a changeover.

It could also open up the game a little as if they miss with their one on one , it’s “ game on “.

Whilst a rule like this would change our game radically it will make for a faster game without 2 and 3 in the tackle.

So what’s with not being able to leap for the ball and hit it backwards?
And wtf was the penalty against Leota (called by Harry Grant!!) a too many in the defensive line? Is that right? Wtf?

So what’s with not being able to leap for the ball and hit it backwards?
And wtf was the penalty against Leota (called by Harry Grant!!) a too many in the defensive line? Is that right? Wtf?
The NRL have a habit of changing rules just for the sake of it.From what I could gather from that penalty was that the player wasn’t allowed feign going for the ball in an aerial situation.I could be wrong with that interpretation,but what danger does that pose?Not many things funnier than a defender dropping the ball because the attacking player was put off by the opposition flying past without contact

It is actually another updated/applied interpretation brought in this season along with the leg lift and ruck blocker rules.

I don’t mind it because Nth Qld were getting ridiculous with it last season. Better to crackdown before it goes too far.

The NRL have a habit of changing rules just for the sake of it.From what I could gather from that penalty was that the player wasn’t allowed feign going for the ball in an aerial situation.I could be wrong with that interpretation,but what danger does that pose?Not many things funnier than a defender dropping the ball because the attacking player was put off by the opposition flying past without contact
And the Leota one?

It is actually another updated/applied interpretation brought in this season along with the leg lift and ruck blocker rules.

I don’t mind it because Nth Qld were getting ridiculous with it last season. Better to crackdown before it goes too far.
Really like the new leg lift interpretation. It not only leads to accidental spear tackles but also leaves the grounded leg vulnerable to injury. Without lifting the leg the catch and wrestle tackle technique becomes less effective.

This will make effective 1on1 tacklers like Jake and Froggy more valuable, as well as our big units like Guac and Tent that often end up standing in the tackle until a defender lifts one of their legs.

Can I assume that nobody has a fn clue what the Leota call was for 😂😂
Whatever it was, Harry Grant knew it was gonna happen cause he was waiting for it and then jumped all over it… ref called it like 5 sec later…
Had to be breaking early from the scrum. It was touch and go but Leota has to stay properly bound with his head in the scrum. Think he pulled his head out early. The penalty wasn't blown until he got involved in the tackle.

Had to be breaking early from the scrum. It was touch and go but Leota has to stay properly bound with his head in the scrum. Think he pulled his head out early. The penalty wasn't blown until he got involved in the tackle.
I thought that at first but the ball was clearly out before Leota broke… and then I thought the commentators said something about “too many players in the defensive line?”
I’m getting old and probably misheard but there is no way Leota broke early…

I thought that at first but the ball was clearly out before Leota broke… and then I thought the commentators said something about “too many players in the defensive line?”
I’m getting old and probably misheard but there is no way Leota broke early…
Could only find 1 angle on the replay, Leota was obscured so it was hard to tell. Couldn't say whether or not it was the right call. The ref indicated that Leota was offside and the only way that can happen is if he judged that Leota broke early.

PSS never trust the commentators, from either broadcaster.

Could only find 1 angle on the replay, Leota was obscured so it was hard to tell. Couldn't say whether or not it was the right call. The ref indicated that Leota was offside and the only way that can happen is if he judged that Leota broke early.

PSS never trust the commentators, from either broadcaster.
Granted he is obscured but he has not even lifted his head and the ball is out… it was Cooper Cronk that said “too many defenders out on the line… that’s what’s happened here…”

Attachments

• 57D93AC3-2295-4B8C-A664-9F4304A38987.jpeg
    57D93AC3-2295-4B8C-A664-9F4304A38987.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 6
Really like the new leg lift interpretation. It not only leads to accidental spear tackles but also leaves the grounded leg vulnerable to injury. Without lifting the leg the catch and wrestle tackle technique becomes less effective.

This will make effective 1on1 tacklers like Jake and Froggy more valuable, as well as our big units like Guac and Tent that often end up standing in the tackle until a defender lifts one of their legs.
Agree completely.

It’ll be interesting to see what Api does. He was doing leg lift and spins every second tackle last year.

Granted he is obscured but he has not even lifted his head and the ball is out… it was Cooper Cronk that said “too many defenders out on the line… that’s what’s happened here…”
Yeah that angle still isn't 100% definitive. Maybe he said out of the line? Could be that someone else was offside and the penalty wasn't against Leota. Although in the stats it was attributed to Leota as a scrum infringement and Grant pointed straight at him. It was definitely a weird one.

Bit dry but this video details all the tweaks to interpretations that have been made for 2024.
Jesus that’s half an hour of my life that I will never get back… bloody NRL are so inconsistent on how they decide to interpret rules… the lending weight one is dumb - can do it in defence but can’t do it forward… what happens when you do it in defence and then end up pushing the player forward? And obviously the voluntary tackle rule is officially dead - just choose not to enforce that one?
Anyways, nothing in there about scrums and defensive lines so I am still mystified at the Leota one…
God I hate Annesley’s voice… he sounds like every male teacher I ever hated…

Has the flop been taking out of the rule book?

Noticed a few games where the attacking player is tackled and then the second defender comes in later that the penalty hasn’t been awarded, happened in Vegas to us with Latrell on Saab and today it happened to the storm against the knights.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2