Rule Changes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
While I understand the context, or spirit of the 'tackled player in the air' rule, like others I'm wondering about the situation when a player is running for the try line and 1 or 2 metres out just launches himself, at the line.

Is that a penalty if he's tackled?
No, it is just for a player taking a high ball.

But if we still had Cliffy's high cross kicks to the corner play, then technically our winger who jumped to collect it in goal could not be tackled under this rule :eek:

Maybe the rule book will stipulate that the high kick has to be from the opposing Team.

Short kick offs is another unknown :cool:

Last edited:
The option of where to set the scrum would benefit teams that predominantly attack down one side, or from one side of the scrum. If the scrum is set 10m out from the sideline teams are limited to only playing from one side of the scrum. If teams are given the option of moving the scrum position it opens up the attacking options. That’s how I see that rule change

I see that tackle in the air rule as a potential debacle.

I have no issue with the existing rule but basically this is saying that the defence can’t tackle any player jumping for the ball in the corner.

**** me that’s going to result in a ****load of penalties.

Last edited:
Had to laugh at ch9 reporting on the rule changes, especially the new 20/40 rule. Whilst mentioning about it working in a similar way to the 40/20, they showed 2 teams scoring a 40/20 against Manly. Seriously, with DCE topping the stats for kicking the most 40/20s for 2019. Whoever is in charge at ch9 for selecting footage to use on nrl stuff needs a good kick up their backside, very obviously a full on Manly hater. Would like to see some unbiased professionalism at ch9

We’ll see a return of the bomb to the ingoal area on the fifth.

While it happens sometimes now, it’ll be the main play with this new rule in.

Roosters will just bomb towards Tupou every fifth tackle and the defending team will have to wait til he lands to tackle him.

I can see him popping the ball to his inside man after catching it in every game.

Not sure it’s a good rule change.

Not allowed to tackle a player with the ball in mid-air, defending or attacking....

Yep. Now just about every set on your line is going to end with a bomb to the corner where players won't be able to defend because they'll be penalised if they do. Can you say Penalty Try? Because there will be an increase of them under this rule.

Isn't it funny how they have ignored just about every grievance with the current set up of rules and how the game is officiated that people have with the game, yet they have gone with the ones that shock horror....seem to benefit the broadcasters want for more excitement or time to put in their ads.

Last edited:
The more I think about this “can’t tackle in the air deal “ the more I think , **** me this is going to be a debacle.

It’ll result in a bombathon at the end of every set, and from there it’s an absolute lottery if the attacking side catches the ball.

A try because you can’t touch them until they are on the ground.

A penalty if your timing is just slightly out.

And potentially a raft of penalty try’s.

Also think about this one , the winger / centre jumps in the air to grab the ball and aims the ball downward with his legs in the air ( would take some practice but they could do it often once perfected), effectively you can’t touch him at any stage on the way down, if you do, penalty try.

I get the previous rule ( protecting wingers and fullbacks ) absolutely no dramas with that but bugger me this could be an absolute crock of ****!!

I see that tackle in the air rule as a potential debacle.

I have no issue with the existing rule but basically this is saying that the defence can’t tackle any player jumping for the ball in the corner.

**** me that’s going to result in a ****load of penalties.
They need to stipulate what a tackle is.
If 3 players jump for the ball and as has happened 1 gets accidentally flipped does that mean he was tackled?
What if his own player pushes him into an opponent in the air as has happened ?

I don't watch ESL, is this rule clear over there :think:

I'm looking forward to the 'wandering scrum' rule where Chez points to the center, the opposing packs starts the 30 meter walk in field as Chez tells the Ref after 4 seconds '10 meters, thanks' :p

With this new no tackling anyone while they are in the air (from a jump) rule.....if I was Des I'd spend a good portion of the off-season having DCE practicing his corner bombs for Turbo and Reubs to take advantage of.

This rule is going to see a lot more tries scored IMO. And while Dave Brown's single season record of 38 set in 1935 might not be beaten (yet).....players like Turbo and Daniel Tupou might start scoring up in the high 20s with a lot coming from kicks. Phil Blake's 1983 record of 27 for Manly might come under threat.

The argument against one point for the losing team after golden point is that it would mean that there would be three points allocated to these games rather than two points to all other games. I would like to see 3 points a win and two points to the winners in extra time and one point to the loser in extra point.

I never understood this argument. 3 points aren't allocated - they're earned.
Every team in the comp can still only make a maximum of 2 competition points each round (50 for the year). So the loser getting a point doesn't disadvantage any other teams that much.
This year for example, only 2 teams would have felt an effect of a 1-point-for-losing-in-golden-point system. The Tigers would've finished tied on 25pts with the Broncos and knocked them out of the top 8. (Woulda been nice too! I hate the donkeys and the tiggers surely would've given Parra a better run in the 1st week of finals!)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4