Roobin Garrick sucks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
The Knights chased him hard a few years ago to play fullback.

I think it’s more about the money he could earn playing fullback or possibly in the centres rather than on the wing.

Not sure what was agreed to in the contract to keep him at Manly but if he stays at centre these type of posts will continue.

danny-boy

Reserve Grader
He’s in the centres because as part of his extension there’s a clause saying he gets to play in the centres it’s not rocket science

This seems to be true. No coach in his right mind would continue with Garrick at centre.

What does the club do? We can’t keep crippling ourselves our season is hanging on by a thread.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
We all see different things and I see exactly what the stats see
I see Ruben Garrick the Great Manly Centre of 2024
12 games
Tackle Efficiency 86.6 %
Tackle breaks 29
Line breaks 10
Tries 7
Try Assists 2
I see that as well but there are two sides to the game of RL and Garrick is costing us in defence. Tackle efficiency does not indicate the poor reads and some of the 13% missed are directly leading to points.

I liked the Garrick to centre idea initially and think he has done great things for our attack…defence on the other hand 😞

LeonardCohen

Bencher
He’s in the centres because as part of his extension there’s a clause saying he gets to play in the centres it’s not rocket science
Not really. He resigned before 2023 and played all but one game at centre last year. No coach would put a player before themselves because of a clause in their contract. Flanno let Lomax walk because what the coach wants the coach gets, even if a great player is going to get their nose out of joint and seek a release.

Seibs obviously thinks Garrick’s efforts at centre are acceptable right now. He must like what he is seeing in attack and is prepared to give Garrick time to grow into the role in defence. Not to mention we dedicated an entire preseason to the project.

When Garrick rejected the Knights, he said he wanted a shot at centre, but he was never given a rubber stamp.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I see that as well but there are two sides to the game of RL and Garrick is costing us in defence. Tackle efficiency does not indicate the poor reads and some of the 13% missed are directly leading to points.

I liked the Garrick to centre idea initially and think he has done great things for our attack…defence on the other hand 😞
The factor that you did not take into account is that Garricks 86.6 % tackle efficiency also includes try saving tackles .

The final factor you also did not take into account before you rate how poor Garricks defensive is The Premiership Winning Stephen Chrichton has a lower tackle efficiency than Garrick at 81.4 %

The Fact of the matter and the end of this theory that Garrick is a poor defender
Garirck 86.6 tackle efficiency
Stephen Chrichton 81.4 tackle efficiency

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
This seems to be true. No coach in his right mind would continue with Garrick at centre.

What does the club do? We can’t keep crippling ourselves our season is hanging on by a thread.
I believe he prefers the centres, but I also think it’s a furphy that he will only play there. Someone mentioned that elsewhere.

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
Not really. He resigned before 2023 and played all but one game at centre last year. No coach would put a player before themselves because of a clause in their contract. Flanno let Lomax walk because what the coach wants the coach gets, even if a great player is going to get their nose out of joint and seek a release.

Seibs obviously thinks Garrick’s efforts at centre are acceptable right now. He must like what he is seeing in attack and is prepared to give Garrick time to grow into the role in defence. Not to mention we dedicated an entire preseason to the project.

When Garrick rejected the Knights, he said he wanted a shot at centre, but he was never given a rubber stamp.

From memory shoulders Matai was a poor defender early on and des stuck with him. Look how that paid off.

double hoops

First Grader
I really don't know if Reubs is a poor defender.

I think we had to try his speed at centre early on in the year. There's different views on if he's working out or if he's not.

But to try and understand what these stats mean.

What is a tackle efficiency? Is it as simple as tackles made vs missed?

Any criticism of Reubs would more be about bad defensive reads but what I have no idea about, does tackle efficiency or any other stat
for that matter, cover that?

One on the weekend for example, I think there was one where Reubs just turned a shoulder inwards, selected a player, but no tackle to make, ball gets passed on or that player might have been cut out. Reubs inwards shoulder directly impacts what Saab does who also comes in. If Saab is the closest defender and the opposition winger runs past him.

Is the only missed tackle stat then against Saab?

Same interest for DCE at times.

Most overlaps are poor counting of numbers or bad reads on the inside.

But is there a stat anywhere that tells me that?

Last edited:

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
I like the idea of Talau in the centres with Saab outside him, and Koula and Garrick on the other side.

Talau is a big body and showed what he can do defensively against Staggs a couple of weeks back. Sure, we might not have Garrick’s speed and swerve to put Saab away but our team is doing a lot of defending due to an ability to win the yardage battle so goal line defence is crucial. The shootout approach is not winning us games.
Are you convinced on Koula in centres? And if not, where do you see his best position?

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
The factor that you did not take into account is that Garricks 86.6 % tackle efficiency also includes try saving tackles .
I’m sorry… WHAT? 😳

Though… I guess if he makes a tackle anywhere on the field he has potentially not allowed a try that play 🤔

LeonardCohen

Bencher

The final factor you also did not take into account before you rate how poor Garricks defensive is The Premiership Winning Stephen Chrichton has a lower tackle efficiency than Garrick at 81.4 %

The Fact of the matter and the end of this theory that Garrick is a poor defender
Garirck 86.6 tackle efficiency
Stephen Chrichton 81.4 tackle efficiency

I don’t need a tackle efficiency statistic to tell me that Crichton is a much better defensive centre than Garrick. If anything, the fact that statistics suggest otherwise, has actually brought your argument undone. The statistic is redundant because it doesn’t provide an accurate representation.

Anyway, it’s all good, you love him at centre and I love him in attack at centre but think he is struggling in defence; we move on.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
Are you convinced on Koula in centres? And if not, where do you see his best position?
Yeah I think he is a weapon. I just don’t think we’ve been able to unlock him because we do not generate enough ruck speed. If he was able to consistently get good ball against stretched defensive lines, I think he’d torch oppositions. Unfortunately, he gets average ball most games. His speed really helps him cover opposition shifts comfortably, so that edge is quite sound in defence.

I don’t love him at fullback. He is OK and can be dangerous with the speed but I think he plays too sideways and is not a natural ball player so I see him as limited in that position.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
Yeah I think he is a weapon. I just don’t think we’ve been able to unlock him because we do not generate enough ruck speed. If he was able to consistently get good ball against stretched defensive lines, I think he’d torch oppositions. Unfortunately, he gets average ball most games. His speed really helps him cover opposition shifts comfortably, so that edge is quite sound in defence.

I don’t love him at fullback. He is OK and can be dangerous with the speed but I think he plays too sideways and is not a natural ball player so I see him as limited in that position.
Yes, fair points. It would be interesting to see what he could do in the Storm set up, for example.

joshcooper123

Reserve Grader
I think most people will agree that garrick does play his best footy on the wing, but when turbo was injured and he played fullback he showed he has the speed, power game and some passing attributes that can be useful in the centres. I see him a similar type of player to Nick Meaney, similar build and attributes, but the difference is Meaney makes a lot better defensive decisions compared to Garrick.

But unfortunately Seibs made a statement around a month ago stating that garrick and koula are the long term centres at the club and in the press conference yesterday he said he really likes how the combination of how koula and talau are going.
So don't think Seibs will change it even though he should

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
What impresses me about Garrick, is his professionalism. He usually tends to make the right decisions and seems to have a calm manner in dealing with issues on the field. I know sometimes he seems to be a little shaky in defense, but as Bozo has rightly pointed out, his defense stats suggest he's one of the better centre defenders. Talau's defense is only 72%, Turbo 70% young Hopa at this stage 67% and Koula 81%. So Garrick's 86.6% looks pretty decent. Mind you wingers and full backs always rate low in tackle efficiency given their frequent exposure to open field runners. However Bozo's point is quite valid and again points out the elements of my regular sermon that perception is never as accurate as stats. If someone is identified as having a fault, you will tend to look for it, thus reinforcing the belief. Stats often suggest otherwise.

Mind you I prefer Garrick on the wing and Talau at centre but that is more personal preference more based on the complete game of the respective players.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
….But unfortunately Seibs made a statement around a month ago stating that garrick and koula are the long term centres at the club and in the press conference yesterday he said he really likes how the combination of how koula and talau are going.
So don't think Seibs will change it even though he should.
They are the ‘long term’ centres whilst Seibold is the coach.

Depending on results this year, we might have a new coach next year. Or at best/worst (depending on your perspective), Seibold is on notice to lift his approach, if he wants an extension beyond 2025.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16