Risky NRL training cultures

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
2017 and 2020 is 3 years.

Don't insult people by saying 77 years.
This is not an insult . This is a fact
Since 1947 our Legendary Manly club has trained over 1000 players
and we have had 2 very Unfortunate cases in 77 years
I hope you enjoy our win tonight feathered friend .

This is not an insult . This is a fact
Since 1947 our Legendary Manly club has trained over 1000 players
and we have had 2 very Unfortunate cases in 77 years
I hope you enjoy our win tonight feathered friend .

2 cases within 3 years of each other, after 70 odd years of no reported similar issues.

That could easily be seen as a pattern, and it doesn't look good.

2 cases within 3 years of each other, after 70 odd years of no reported similar issues.

That could easily be seen as a pattern, and it doesn't look good.
2 incidents overseen by 2 different football and coaching departments is by no measure defined as a pattern

With 1 owner......
Yes I'm sure this has Scott Penn written all over it...not. Seriously mate lol? As much as we all despise the guy, attempting to tie these tragic and accidental incidents to some suit in NY is absurd - he wasn't even allowed into the dressing room when Des was here.

just a question, have you played or coached for the club in any capacity? Or maybe close to someone who has? Are you inferring that there is a systemic issue re duty of care to our players?

You need to read more than just the headline. Will leave it to more capable minds than mine but it is not as clear as the headline indicates

Former Manly player Keith Titmuss died after a training session which was “more likely than not inappropriate”, a coroner has found.

Deputy state coroner Derek Lee presented his findings on Friday at the NSW Coroners Court into the death of the rising rugby league star after almost two weeks of evidence from Manly officials, former teammates and expert witnesses.

Lee told the court Titmuss was “most likely suffering involuntary dehydration” when he entered a dojo, or wrestling gym, for a short and intense cardio session at the end of Manly’s first field session of pre-season training in November 2020.

Lee said a number of factors caused Titmuss to suffer from exertional heatstroke – in which a paramedic described his body temperature of 41.9 degrees as the “hottest they’d ever seen” – including his high body mass index and lack of aerobic capacity compared to teammates.

His recommendations included the NRL consider a graduated 14-day return to training program for players after extended breaks such as the off-season, individual programs for players given their characteristics and medical personnel on standby for sessions in which heat illness is a greater risk.

Lee denied a 70-per-cent narrowing of one of Titmuss’ arteries was a factor in his death, and described Manly’s legal team raising the issue, while highlighting the caring nature of the club at length during the inquest, as “incongruous with the themes described”.

“Agitation of this issue was a source of distress to Keith’s family,” Lee said. “The degree to which this issue was raised by Manly was surprising and rarely seen.”

The court heard Manly’s immediate response to Titmuss’ medical episode and the treatment by paramedics was appropriate.

The Sea Eagles honoured Titmuss by posthumously naming him their 623rd first grade player despite being yet to make his NRL debut when he died.

He collapsed inside the club’s Narrabeen gym and suffered a seizure, and evidence given to the court described his involuntary howls as he moved around the dojo. He was taken to hospital where he later suffered a cardiac arrest.

“It’s been an incredibly distressing time for all of us, but particularly the family,” Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov said.

“We want to make sure we’re thinking of them today and how tough that was. Obviously, we’ve willingly participated in this inquiry and inquest. His Honour has handed down the findings today and we intend to take the recommendations up.

“This can’t happen again in the game. We all understand that. We don’t want it to happen under Manly’s watch ever again.”

Former Manly coach Des Hasler, who was employed at the club at the time of Titmuss’ death but has since left the Sea Eagles, provided evidence at the inquiry alongside a number of Sea Eagles officials as well as Titmuss’ former teammates including Josh Schuster, Moses Suli and Ben Trbojevic.

A paramedic reported Titmuss’ temperature was one they’d never seen before despite the maximum temperature at nearby Terrey Hills not reaching 25 degrees on the day.

Counsel assisting the coroner, Adam Casselden, SC, told the inquest in March the training session was “unnecessarily and inappropriately tough” for a player of Titmuss’ aerobic capacity, who was found to record the lowest score of Manly’s players during a yo-yo screening test days earlier.

Hasler previously told the court he rated the training session a “six or seven out of 10” as GPS data found Titmuss only covered an average of 47 metres per minute over the course of the session.

Lee described Titmuss’ death as a “tragic and devastating loss”.

“Keith was doing what he loved and sharing the love with his close friends,” Lee said.

I think there is some relief that the inquest found Manly staff to have acted appropriately in their response. And the recommendations from the coroner make sense.

Tragic.
Poor kid and family.
His photo should be shown to all trainers before each preseason.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10