Rise or Slide

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
@Wombat Legacy the one factor that has me on the rise side of the argument is I feel a good vibe starting to come from this team. I detect (hopefully true) a more positive attitude than last year.
Remember what I said , big heads in 2016 predicted to finish top 4.

A bunch of guys with an awful lot to prove in 2017 expected to finish 14th.

That is one significant difference.

I'm only predicting 12th, or if they go well maybe 10th, but that's way better than 15th or 16th.

2018 , when we will have our full cap back will be much better.

That's when we will get back into the top 8 again.

Well I'm not giving up my positive attitude and neither did the players that played in that sh*t heat last weekend. Looking forward to see them play again today. Here's to the rise of Manly!

A bunch of guys with an awful lot to prove in 2017 expected to finish 14th.

That is one significant difference.

I'm only predicting 12th, or if they go well maybe 10th, but that's way better than 15th or 16th.

2018 , when we will have our full cap back will be much better.

That's when we will get back into the top 8 again.

Mark, I think you may be slightly underestimating our forward pack. With the move of Kapow back to prop likely we would then have a front row rotation of Lussick, Kapow, AFB, Lawrence and Myles with Perrett on stand-by. This is a formidable line-up with little loss during interchange.

If 2 of the second rowers stand up (Sironen/Winterstein/Kennedy/lane)with Jake locking them in ... yippy yi yo!

The only reason I am not calling a definite top 6/8 is a question mark over our backline and their ability to contain some of the gun backlines in the comp.

Mark, I think you may be slightly underestimating our forward pack. With the move of Kapow back to prop likely we would then have a front row rotation of Lussick, Kapow, AFB, Lawrence and Myles with Perrett on stand-by. This is a formidable line-up with little loss during interchange.

If 2 of the second rowers stand up (Sironen/Winterstein/Kennedy/lane)with Jake locking them in ... yippy yi yo!

The only reason I am not calling a definite top 6/8 is a question mark over our backline and their ability to contain some of the gun backlines in the comp.

It's not the forward pack I'm worried about, it's a couple of wingers who are brittle under pressure and the unknown quantity of one centre.

It's not that I'm a glass half empty person rather lower expectations so I don't get so dissapointed!!

It's not the forward pack I'm worried about, it's a couple of wingers who are brittle under pressure and the unknown quantity of one centre.

It's not that I'm a glass half empty person rather lower expectations so I don't get so dissapointed!!
I feel a bit like that, love my team but just can't seem to get excited. I am really worried about our backs. If they play a strong team game and do the one %ers, we will go OK. Like @Woodsie said, I think our forwards will surprise. If they can dominate the middle, we are a big chance to record more wins than losses. God I am gonna miss Jamie Lyon and Matai.....it is so unfair

To quote Murray Walker......unless I am very much mistaken...a lot of the top 4 predictions came from still having Killer, Snake and Skivy working their magic. But the reality was that other than when Killer played at 5/8 and his goal kicking (50/65), all were non-factors in 2016.

Personally I think we have a better balanced side in 2017. We have a real 5/8 in Green who should give opposition teams more to shut down than just DCE. Walker is more than a handy replacement for Killer at right centre, Tom has had virtually a full season as fullback and should be better than he was last year (IMO his late game drop offs were more to do with his ankle than general fitness), and I think our pack has a better look to it. Its more mobile and looks to have a bigger punch to it.

The only negatives I can see are who we play at left centre, our air raid deficient wingers, a dummy half who's passing game has been woeful at best and the lack of a first class goal kicker.

I'm not expecting to win the premiership, though I'm not discounting it either. But I do expect we will make the top 8.

Agree though Mark hits some valid points...but I tend to agree Woodsie...thing is...if Manly exceed expectation pretty sure Mark will be happy as anyone on here!!

To quote Murray Walker......unless I am very much mistaken...a lot of the top 4 predictions came from still having Killer, Snake and Skivy working their magic. But the reality was that other than when Killer played at 5/8 and his goal kicking (50/65), all were non-factors in 2016.

Personally I think we have a better balanced side in 2017. We have a real 5/8 in Green who should give opposition teams more to shut down than just DCE. Walker is more than a handy replacement for Killer at right centre, Tom has had virtually a full season as fullback and should be better than he was last year (IMO his late game drop offs were more to do with his ankle than general fitness), and I think our pack has a better look to it. Its more mobile and looks to have a bigger punch to it.

The only negatives I can see are who we play at left centre, our air raid deficient wingers, a dummy half who's passing game has been woeful at best and the lack of a first class goal kicker.

I'm not expecting to win the premiership, though I'm not discounting it either. But I do expect we will make the top 8.

Regarding our wingers, whomever they happen to be, being air raid deficient, or lacking in defence .... I would suggest that that same description would apply to 85% of all wingers in the comp. At least 60% of all tries in the NRL are either from a kick out wide or a backline movement ending in a try out wide.

We don't seem to notice when we score from a kick that "their ****en useless piece of **** winger dropped the ball" we just say great try. When we perform a great backline movement and score out wide we don't say "their useless **** of a winger is hopeless" we just say great try.

I think when we are buttsore from a try against us we notice and magnify the fault.

We will rise from last year but not far enough. Hopefully a solid platform for 2018
(sound like a Parra fan already looking to next year )

Regarding our wingers, whomever they happen to be, being air raid deficient, or lacking in defence .... I would suggest that that same description would apply to 85% of all wingers in the comp. At least 60% of all tries in the NRL are either from a kick out wide or a backline movement ending in a try out wide.

We don't seem to notice when we score from a kick that "their ****en useless piece of **** winger dropped the ball" we just say great try. When we perform a great backline movement and score out wide we don't say "their useless **** of a winger is hopeless" we just say great try.

I think when we are buttsore from a try against us we notice and magnify the fault.
I somewhat agree with you Woodsie, maybe the issue is we have been more on the receiving end latley.

Uate and Tafua have their strengths, good finishers and we should be making solid meters from kick returns.

If they don't perform I'm sure Parker and Schuster will be ready for an opportunity

I somewhat agree with you Woodsie, maybe the issue is we have been more on the receiving end latley.

Uate and Tafua have their strengths, good finishers and we should be making solid meters from kick returns.

If they don't perform I'm sure Parker and Schuster will be ready for an opportunity

Don't get me wrong, both would be in the bottom 25% of kick catchers ... but I don't think the difference between the bottom 25% and the top 25% is as big as people imagine.

I think there is an element of this and you make some good points; however, I just remember having Robertson and Hicks together and both were excellent under the high-ball, great finishers and Hicks was very quick. I'd love to have that again.

Parker, Schuster and Kelly are all quite quick, Parker is tall and Schuster is a fullback so you'd expect him to be good under the high-ball. Uate and Jorge are known to be quite poor catching bombs and Jorge has been a real target in the past - we know this won't change with these two. I like Jorge and his hard runs out of our own 20; however, I'd love to see this complemented by a quick winger who can catch and Kelly in the centres. Just my view and I'm sure if Uate and Jorge are leaking points they will lose their spots.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
11 7 4 59 14
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11