Ripped off by Cummins again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I didn't think it was a penalty.

But why were we down there in our own try line at that time of the game ? Ill discipline, and allowing the Eels to get in a roll with passive hold defense.

We can cherry pick certain instances in the game all we like. End of the day, we lost, and we should have been MUCH better.

Tuipulotu got ran around twice because of the hold / compress / slide defense. Tuipulotu is a decent defender. It's the structures / system.

Blaming any or all of our losses on a referee is desperate to me. As Des and DCE said after the game (and I agree), we need to be better.
Oh wow.... Ryan what structures/systems are you putting in place when you get offered the job? Just very interested in your tactics and your confirmation that based on your analysis of each player that we have the players to carry those tactics out to the letter.. week in and week out? I am one who certainly generally believes the refs don't impact much on the result but you have totally lost it man if you are saying Cummings had a great game and all the calls went 50/50 and there weren't some very very crucial calls or non calls that ended up costing us badly.

Oh wow.... Ryan what structures/systems are you putting in place when you get offered the job? Just very interested in your tactics and your confirmation that based on your analysis of each player that we have the players to carry those tactics out to the letter.. week in and week out? I am one who certainly generally believes the refs don't impact much on the result but you have totally lost it man if you are saying Cummings had a great game and all the calls went 50/50 and there weren't some very very crucial calls or non calls that ended up costing us badly.

System?

Well, firstly, The Panthers have the blueprint (use them for best practices). The Cowboys / Broncos are currently subscribing to that and are improving. The Storm have always adhered to it.

1. Defense. Play on your opposition attacker. Don't compress / slide where possible. In the modern game, where you have fast, sharp hookers, the ball is spread wide lightning fast, exposing compressed defense's, motivating wingers / centres to rush in to attempt to stop the movement (AGAIN) leaving holes. Attack with your defense, by getting off your line and limiting the oppositions space. Press forward as a unit / leave no gaps. Make sure you pressure the opposition kicker. It's about attitude and effort.

2. Attack. We have a flat attack. This doesn't help forwards. We need to stand deeper in attack to run onto the ball at speed / pace. This will also give time / space to our halves to make decisions. I loved watching Haumole getting the ball at full pace. He was unstoppable. Right now, he gets the ball, and has to gain momentum from there.

3. Play-the-ball. We have statistically the worst / slowest play-the-ball in the league. I'm bringing In a penalty system for failure to play-the-ball at speed. Fast play-the-balls lead to momentum. Momentum leads to field position. Field position means your defensive structures can be more offensive because the opposition are forever coming off their line (like we are at present).

4. Ruck. When you have the ball, take point 3 into consideration, but also, do NOT get rolled on your back. Our players are forever getting turned on their backs. This is pure laziness.

5. Avoid sidewards play. We excel when we are direct. I don't know what system we are playing, but we crab far too much and often. So many of our players get the ball standing still. This leads to getting dominated in tackles, and a lack of making metres. Run direct, run direct, run direct (hole running).

6. Bench rotation. I'm sorry, but Des use of the bench is a disgrace. I can't really say anymore on that subject. We all see it.

We are far too soft, passive, and reactionary in our play. We play not to lose. We don't play to win. The mentality is ****ed. People suggested in the Lodge thread we need an enforcer. I concur. We need a few. At present, we have too many feel good, cotton ball, buddy buddy players. We need those intimidators. We literally have none ATM. Des used to be able to get his players up (particularly in defense). If you.look out our D for the past 3 years, you'd be appalled at the stats in average. We've lost intensity. We've lost what appears to be passion in the jersey. We just seem to have players who are there to pick up a paycheck (some like Jake are different) - but he's rare.

There's a few things in my view.

Last edited:
Is their any chance Penn or our CEO could lobby the NRL high command and ban Cummins from all Manly games for the remainder of this season. It's obvious he's got an issue with Manly, could be something from a season or two ago who knows, it's not the first time he's caned us in the penalty counts. Just think it's gone toxic now, and would be better for all concerned for this to happen.

Is their any chance Penn or our CEO could lobby the NRL high command and ban Cummins from all Manly games for the remainder of this season. It's obvious he's got an issue with Manly, could be something from a season or two ago who knows, it's not the first time he's caned us in the penalty counts. Just think it's gone toxic now, and would be better for all concerned for this to happen.

That would be the NRL conceding there is something to our concerns, and that would just never happen..

We'd be much better off focusing on OUR discipline. That's in our control, not what the NRL does.

Keppie, Jake and Marty in the tackles. A lot of this is ruck control (both in attack and defense) and frankly we are **** there, and we probably need some outside help to improve..

System?

Well, firstly, The Panthers have the blueprint (use them for best practices). The Cowboys / Broncos are currently subscribing to that and are improving. The Storm have always adhered to it.

1. Defense. Play on your opposition attacker. Don't compress / slide where possible. In the modern game, where you have fast, sharp hookers, the ball is spread wide lightning fast, exposing compressed defense's, motivating wingers / centres to rush in to attempt to stop the movement (AGAIN) leaving holes. Attack with your defense, by getting off your line and limiting the oppositions space. Press forward as a unit / leave no gaps. Make sure you pressure the opposition kicker. It's about attitude and effort.

2. Attack. We have a flat attack. This doesn't help forwards. We need to stand deeper in attack to run onto the ball at speed / pace. This will also give time / space to our halves to make decisions. I loved watching Haumole getting the ball at full pace. He was unstoppable. Right now, he gets the ball, and has to gain momentum from there.

3. Play-the-ball. We have statistically the worst / slowest play-the-ball in the league. I'm bringing In a penalty system for failure to play-the-ball at speed. Fast play-the-balls lead to momentum. Momentum leads to field position. Field position means your defensive structures can be more offensive because the opposition are forever coming off their line (like we are at present).

4. Ruck. When you have the ball, take point 3 into consideration, but also, do NOT get rolled on your back. Our players are forever getting turned on their backs. This is pure laziness.

5. Avoid sidewards play. We excel when we are direct. I don't know what system we are playing, but we crab far too much and often. So many of our players get the ball standing still. This leads to getting dominated in tackles, and a lack of making metres. Run direct, run direct, run direct (hole running).

6. Bench rotation. I'm sorry, but Des use of the bench is a disgrace. I can't really say anymore on that subject. We all see it.

We are far too soft, passive, and reactionary in our play. We play not to lose. We don't play to win. The mentality is ****ed. People suggested in the Lodge thread we need an enforcer. I concur. We need a few. At present, we have too many feel good, cotton ball, buddy buddy players. We need those intimidators. We literally have none ATM. Des used to be able to get his players up (particularly in defense). If you.look out our D for the past 3 years, you'd be appalled at the stats in average. We've lost intensity. We've lost what appears to be passion in the jersey. We just seem to have players who are there to pick up a paycheck (some like Jake are different) - but he's rare.

There's a few things in my view.
Thanks - not sure you provided me with any revelations there - they are all pretty stock standard strategies for every team and not sure some of them are Des strategies but more individual player decisions on the field - ie Haumole and Keppie always flat... sometimes the halves playing wider thinking there is an early opportunity. Also not sure about the play the ball speed - unless I misread our play the ball speed against Parra was quicker than Parra. Also not sure that we have a compressed defence - certainly nothing like how it was when Jorge was on the wing. You are very passionate Ryan - but yes I certainly don't resonate with your ongoing negativity.

That would be the NRL conceding there is something to our concerns, and that would just never happen..

We'd be much better off focusing on OUR discipline. That's in our control, not what the NRL does.

Keppie, Jake and Marty in the tackles. A lot of this is ruck control (both in attack and defense) and frankly we are **** there, and we probably need some outside help to improve..
I agree with your take on things, general tactics, discipline, making less errors etc. You can apply your comments to the majority of teams outside the 8 atm all have the same problems. What I'm addressing is the performance of one particular ref towards one particular team, Manly. I'm sorry you can't see this, compared to the many Manly fans and silvertail posters who do.

Given what Cummins did to us v Newcastle last year, then Parra last week.....same ref, extraordinarily similar ruck infringement and penalty counts, same result.......same ref.

It's an obvious pattern. Whether we deserve it or not is another question, but it's clear Cummins appears to have an inbuilt bias, and we need to find a way to either change his perception, or find a way to beat them regardless.

It's really that simple.

Given what Cummins did to us v Newcastle last year, then Parra last week.....same ref, extraordinarily similar ruck infringement and penalty counts, same result.......same ref.

It's an obvious pattern. Whether we deserve it or not is another question, but it's clear Cummins appears to have an inbuilt bias, and we need to find a way to either change his perception, or find a way to beat them regardless.

It's really that simple.
When something went against the great Manly teams, they used it as inspiration to crush the opposition with bone rattling defense, driving them back & usually forcing an error.

Not sure if we could replicate that today:
  1. We don't have the cattle
  2. We would probably get penalised

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10