RIP Phil Hughes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Kiwi Eagle said:
it really changes how you look at things, cricket around the world will change for it as well I'd say. It's hard to see how a guy like Mitch Johnson will be able to run in with as much fire and aggression now after seeing this happen to his mate

Absolutely, KE. It also makes Clarke's sledge to Anderson that he'd better look out for a broken arm seem very futile indeed.

As for Brett Lee... well he should have known better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCgAqNSAD1U

If nothing else, this incident will hopefully bring some common sense into it all, i.e. bowling bouncers at number 11's who can't hold a bat (another forte of Brett Lee back in the day) will no longer be accepted.

RIP Phil and condolences to your family and to Sean Abbott.

Sadly he was dead before he hit the ground.

You've got to wonder how things pan out in life.

So proud of the NZ team tonight. They wanted to abandon the test but have been made to play by the sound of it. Half of them were in years pre play and they have come out and slayed Pakistan this morning, didn't celebrate any wickets and McCullum has just smoked the fastest ton by a kiwi and not celebrated. Every player had written PH on their playing shirts

Kiwi Eagle said:
So proud of the NZ team tonight. They wanted to abandon the test but have been made to play by the sound of it. Half of them were in years pre play and they have come out and slayed Pakistan this morning, didn't celebrate any wickets and McCullum has just smoked the fastest ton by a kiwi and not celebrated. Every player had written PH on their playing shirts

Our cricketing brothers across the Tasman, united in true Anzac spirit, brings a tear to my eyes!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Our cricketing brothers across the Tasman, united in true Anzac spirit, brings a tear to my eyes!!

Absolutely. Well done to the Black Caps. So much class.
If not Australia, I hope they win the 2015 WC.

Hard to watch clarke's press conference this morning. Watching that I can't see how next weeks test can go ahead.

Kiwi Eagle said:
I thought that was an awesome gesture by them Kiwi,all my respect goes out to them,it would have been very difficult to keep playing

I went past many teams of young men about to play at Moore Park this morning. So moving watching them get their rolls of black tape and scissors out and cut lengths and then wrap around each other's arms. This is all so rare and moving in so many ways.

RIP Phil Hughes.

Probably just me but I'm over the reporting and so over the "Phil Hughes would of wanted this" comments by Tom Dick and Harry.

Then the old "True Aussie Battler" country kid back stories and now the NZ Anzac spirit PLEAAAAAAAAASE.

Yes It is a tragic event but the reporting of it is going way overboard to sell papers and fill air time.

Ok it is just me moving on....

Technical Coach said:
Probably just me but I'm over the reporting and so over the "Phil Hughes would of wanted this" comments by Tom Dick and Harry.

Then the old "True Aussie Battler" country kid back stories and now the NZ Anzac spirit PLEAAAAAAAAASE.

Yes It is a tragic event but the reporting of it is going way overboard to sell papers and fill air time.

Ok it is just me moving on....

Really? Just don't watch or listen then!

I don't go out of my way to watch or listen it bumps into me be it News on TV, radio or the headlining thread in this forum.

Was so annoyed by the over exposure that I had to vent in this forum.

I guess by adding my 2 cents worth is contributing to the cause so now I am contradicting myself.

A tragic and sad event but way over reported.

wedgetail eagle said:
Technical Coach said:
"Phil Hughes would of wanted this"
Grammar Police-
"Phil Hughes would have wanted this"
Or, "would've.."
No it is "quoted" in the general way people have responded sense.

Grammar does not (doesn't) should not (shouldn't) apply to quotes and grammar police tend to lack subject matter.

Technical Coach said:
I don't go out of my way to watch or listen it bumps into me be it News on TV, radio or the headlining thread in this forum.

I guess by adding my 2 cents worth is contributing to the cause so now I am contradicting myself.

Here's a little 'technical' advice for life TC.
Sometimes, when those who are not so perceptive speak out, they reveal something about themselves which they do not intend.
You have done exactly this by somehow missing that this tragedy touches so many - cricketers, parents, country people, every Australian who grew up with cricket somehow sneaking into their summers, any person who appreciates the frailty of life, anyone who recognises grief, it goes on.
It is unexpected and unique. Respect those (most) who get this and run off back to your charts of backline movements and defensive stats and let people just feel.
In this world where interest is easily measured by clicks and instant ratings reports, the people will tell the media when they're ready to move on.

Budgewoi Eagle said:
Technical Coach said:

Sometimes, when those who are not so perceptive speak out, they reveal something about themselves which they do not intend.
You have done exactly this by somehow missing that this tragedy touches so many - cricketers, parents, country people, every Australian who grew up with cricket somehow sneaking into their summers, any person who appreciates the frailty of life, anyone who recognises grief, it goes on.
It is unexpected and unique. Respect those (most) who get this and run off back to your charts of backline movements and defensive stats and let people just feel.
In this world where interest is easily measured by clicks and instant ratings reports, the people will tell the media when they're ready to move on.

What does it reveal about me?

I never stated that reporting the event is wrong just the degree of coverage and the always seeking a new angle to fill space and prolong the newsworthiness of the tragic event for "other" reasons.

Every second person now feels they are close enough to Phil to have their thoughts displayed comes across in "some" instances as "taking advantage of a sad event to put their face in the media"

wedgetail eagle said:
No doubt what you say is true, TC.
I merely point this out lest we slip into grammatical errors as used by those from "the Burrow"

Creating class warfare by spotting grammatical errors in others is not my thing.

Ones character or value is not defined by their ability to write in a technically correct fashion---if this is the case I no longer belong here.

Went for the hour and a bit drive into Ipswich today. Outside the Big W at Redbank, stood a lone cricket bat and cap with a note saying RIP Phillip Hughes.
Very caring display by the store manager or whoever arranged it.

Technical Coach said:
Budgewoi Eagle said:
Technical Coach said:

What does it reveal about me?

I never stated that reporting the event is wrong just the degree of coverage and the always seeking a new angle to fill space and prolong the newsworthiness of the tragic event for "other" reasons.

Every second person now feels they are close enough to Phil to have their thoughts displayed comes across in "some" instances as "taking advantage of a sad event to put their face in the media"

wedgetail eagle said:
No doubt what you say is true, TC.
I merely point this out lest we slip into grammatical errors as used by those from "the Burrow"

Creating class warfare by spotting grammatical errors in others is not my thing.

Ones character or value is not defined by their ability to write in a technically correct fashion---if this is the case I no longer belong here.

Would have, not, would of.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7