RIP Phil Hughes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
mickqld said:
Such a tragic accident for all those involved. Our hearts go out to Phil, his family and also to young Sean Abbott. Such a sad day for the nation. RIP Phil gone to soon.

Really sad news indeed. I loved Phil Hughes as a cricketer..a unique batting style and a pleasure to watch. Came across as a nice guy when interviewed and a great representative for his sport. My best thoughts are for you Phil and all your family and friends.

Shocking, disturbing, and so sad. Amazing to see the response from so many around the country and the world, across different sports, cultures, continents.
Phil has touched a nerve that connects maybe all of us, losing an obviously fantastic young man not even in his prime yet I guess reminds us of mortality and others we have lost along the way.
Strength to his family and friends, they'd be shattered but I know the well wishes do count for something.

I've felt sick since the moment i heard of his passing, i believe he was being groomed to be an opener only

I can't believe he died when so many have been hit by faster bowlers with no helmet in sight, the 70s were rife with this

The measure of the man has been there for all to see. Team mates, greats around the world paying homage to not only a great talent, but a genuine nice bloke.

R.I.P Phillip Joel Hughes ...

RIP Phillip Hughes. May you live in eternal happiness with the big guy upstairs.

This is a very sad day for not only the cricketing community, but the whole country. Im still shocked and upset by the news of his passing.

My thoughts and prays to the hughes family, his friends and team mates. Want to also send support to Sean Abbott, it must be a difficult time for him.

Simply gut wrenching. I've played a lot of cricket often without a helmet, never in a billion years would you think you are putting your life on the line in a game of cricket. I just can't get my head around this.

Such a sad, sad day. Vale Phil Hughes, RIP little man.

Whether you love or hate cricket, this is a tragedy and unfortunately it just goes to show how fragile life really is. And as much as I feel for Hughes' family, I feel for Sean Abbott as well. That poor kid has to go through the rest of his life with this. He never meant Hughes any harm, it was just one of those things.

I hope Abbott can bounce back from this because in no way should he be blamed.

RIP Phil Hughes.

HoldenV8 said:
Whether you love or hate cricket, this is a tragedy and unfortunately it just goes to show how fragile life really is. And as much as I feel for Hughes' family, I feel for Sean Abbott as well. That poor kid has to go through the rest of his life with this. He never meant Hughes any harm, it was just one of those things.

I hope Abbott can bounce back from this because in no way should he be blamed.

RIP Phil Hughes.

You're right HV8. That boy will be a wreck. His mental health needs to be closely monitored. He'll be going through a lot of turmoil.

Everyone who has played cricket over a protracted period of time will have been hit in the head by a ball, whether it be in practice, in a match or fielding.
I've seen some serious injuries, including team mates and opponents put in intensive care, but this one is just so freakishly unlucky it gives us all time to reflect.
So incredibly sad.

I still cant believe young Phil Hughes is gone.

Reports this morning suggesting this type of injury has only 100 recorded cases ever. Only once from a cricket ball. Truly an unbelievably freakish accident.

clontaago said:
I still cant believe young Phil Hughes is gone.

Reports this morning suggesting this type of injury has only 100 recorded cases ever. Only once from a cricket ball. Truly an unbelievably freakish accident.

Correct mate , I played for 20 odd years ( just bush cricket) from 1970-1991, helmets only came into vogue with every day cricketers about the late 80's.

Copped a few balls in the head, might not have been Brett Lee speed but quick and never saw anything remotely like this.

An inch either way and he would have been fine !!

Bloody sad day for sure

Extremely sad, the news hit me really hard. Considering I never met him, it's just something about the way people felt about him. He was only 25 and the look on his parents faces as they left the hospital was too much for me. RIP Champ.

Can't get this off my mind. Still play at a reasonable level and it really changes how you look at things, cricket around the world will change for it as well I'd say. It's hard to see how a guy like Mitch Johnson will be able to run in with as much fire and aggression now after seeing this happen to his mate

Got an email from the head of club cricket in Canterbury earlier and all our games have a minutes silence before them tomorrow

RIP Phillip

So sad, i worked in coffs harbour for few years and one of the guys i worked with loved to talk about hughesy with passion he was a macksville local.
Bloke had best cricket ahead, like clarke, waugh, langer all dropped but came back better he was on same path.

The New Zealand and Pakistan cricket teams had cricket bats on sides of their dugouts,with their test caps on them,in the test being played over in the UAE,they were their proper test Caps ,they wore training caps on the field and both teams wore black armbands.I have never seen anything like this from other Cricketing countries for a player from another country. He was held in high esteem and was well respected,well done New Zealand and Pakistan,I am still stunned at his death

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4