Rex Mossop 1976: "This has brought the house down."

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Wow that brings back one of my earliest memories of watching Manly, I was only 9 years old, we played the tigers in round 22 at Leichhardt, the tigers had to win to have a chance of making the semis and we were gunning for the minor premiership.

My memory of that game is that it was a real struggle and then Manly blew them away and that try was a magical one.

Graham Eadie was my hero when I was a boy and it he was a great in the game and a Manly legend.

That team went on to win the grand final in 76 against the slimeys and started an intense rivalry which is still intense.

When I was seven Dad took me and my big brother to our first ever Brookie match, Manly v Souths and Manly smashed it. Back in those days all the kids used to run onto the field after the match. Dad let us loose and my brother and I ran up straight up to Wombat who seemed like a giant maroon and white football god. I've had a thing for fullbacks ever since.

I went to my first game in 1976 as a 9 year old with my father. Manly played the jets at Brookie and won in a low scoring game - my only memory is phil jackson scoring in the corner. Ian Martin was my favourite player as a kid. He alway's struck me as a lot smarter than everyone else. All class.

StuBoot said:
Brissie Kid said:
Where are my 1970s football cards?

Call me sad but I've still got a pile of them somewhere.
Of course the sacred Manly ones are separated from the rest.

I've still got a cpl rubber bands (perforated) around them! :D

StuBoot said:
Brissie Kid said:

Call me sad but I've still got a pile of them somewhere.
Of course the sacred Manly ones are separated from the rest.

What do you mean somewhere! I know where mine are, covered in crayon courtesy of the heir apparent.....

All the Ian Martin love has got me misty eyed. Wish I'd been there to see him at the heritage round thing.

Running onto the field: the first target was a corner post. I went for it once in the north-west corner. The go was the kids would try to be first out, so often you'd dash out a bit early... So I ran out once and looked around to see bozo flying towards me, defender despairingly in pursuit. I quickly got out of the way, but remember the look on bozo's face at the point he knew he was going to make it...

The smell of pink bubblegum sticks & football cards is strong in this thread!

Hey do you reckon the maroon of Manly in the 1970s was different to now? Seems a bit more towards a purple maroon in the youtube, footy cards & my memory bank.

Brissie Kid said:

Hey do you reckon the maroon of Manly in the 1970s was different to now? Seems a bit more towards a purple maroon in the youtube, footy cards & my memory bank.

Not sure about the colour. That 76 kit with the white socks is my all time favourite - lasted for 2 years and then they changed the socks to maroon in 78 and back to the maroon top in 84 or 85. Don't understand why they change their stripe every year or two.

That 70 point belting we got from the Sharks in the mid 2000s put an end to the white Pioneer retro kit! Loved the yellow sea eagle badge.

Never liked the white socks; too soccer. The white jersey with the maroon socks in 78 much better.

But the jersey before and after, all maroon with the pairs of white horizontal lines is the best one.

Here's that jersey in action:

[attachment=486]

Cliff Watson doing something to Peter Peters; looks like he went downstairs first and is following it up. Lurch not far away as usual in this 'game' and Keith Page was there mainly to enjoy a front row view it seems. Judiciary? Wazzat?

Attachments

• 1973 GF.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 20
Brissie Kid said:

I've got just about every Manly card ever made...only a couple missing now.

Going to donate them to the club when i fall off the perch

Brissie Kid said:

Those early Maroon jerseys are way darker than the later ones.

I've got Wombats 72 jersey here and your right, it does have a purple tone to it. There's also one framed at the leagues Club and it's the same.

The White jerseys went from 76 to 84. Went back to the Maroon with White hoops in 85 through till the first of the Pepsi's in 93

Be good if they did a retro at least in that early 1970s maroon purple hue. There's nothing else like it. It's not like Queensland's or Storm's.

Got this from google. Colour in the card isn't same as it actually was. Good thing to see again though!

1976%20rugby%20league%20card%20201205130075.jpg

Ian Martin tragic said:
Never liked the white socks; too soccer. The white jersey with the maroon socks in 78 much better.

But the jersey before and after, all maroon with the pairs of white horizontal lines is the best one.

Agree with this last part 100%. For me, the maroon "hoops" jersey worn from 1968-75 and again from 1985-92 is THE Manly jersey - definitive. I hope they bring it back someday, and keep it permanently...like forever! :)

sean1976 said:
I went to my first game in 1976 as a 9 year old with my father. Manly played the jets at Brookie and won in a low scoring game - my only memory is phil jackson scoring in the corner...

Wasn't his name Rod Jackson? :huh:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4