Reuben Garrick

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Hahaha, I am on your side. Just look the term up.

What you have talked about is pretty much why I am merely a sniper on here these days. I miss guys like Darren, Bones and Mark from Brisbane as I respected what they posted. I know Mark still posts but even he cops rubbish on here at times. Darren was run right out of town, but he was a fan that attended a lot of junior footy and was informative in this area. I didn't always agree with Kiwi Eagle but he kept it classy and was never insulting. Where is he these days?

Thanks Moops and Ryan, yes, I backed away as things got heated a few years back but never went away and always read along and supported silently. Smoking Joe is brilliant and I always like and appreciate what he has to say with the juniors. To be honest, I really feel we have a golden group of kids coming through (hopefuly no more Aaron Groom's from me) I've been to two junior matches and the Matts and Ball teams are full of talent. I'm not talking 2-3 but potentially 5-6 from each team. The Ball team are so good that it would be a travesty if we lose some. Don't forget Albert Hoppa as well. My hope is that management are signing these types of kids to long term contracts. They are that good.

@Darren
What % of this would you attribute to Fulton’s junior development plan.
Are they home grown locals (apart from Hoppa And Ben T, or transient through the links with Blacktown.
You’re dead right though, they are an amazing crop of talent
Good question Zimba, I know Smoking Joe would have more details. I know they have recruited heavily outside the Manly area and even down here in Wollongong. They have been much more aggressive and purposeful in showing pathways to NRL compared to other years I remember. I think the connections with the western Sydney sports high schools have benefited us as well. I know some question it but Blacktown Workers is in the middle of a lot of talent and our relationship will steer more kids to us than before. I reckon we are getting more cream from western Sydney than before (my thoughts only) Gaining Schuster is a massive tick to the junior development team. I hear the Matts team is full of locals so maybe just a good crop coming through. The Fulton's have definitely turned it around and that Ball team were champions last year and will probably be again.

Your question, got sidetracked. Better and more structured recruitment of top level kids in other areas. In my opinion in the Ball, props Alec T and Tyreece are impressive, hooker Birt goes really well and Weekes at fullback, Hoppa, Ben T, centre Simon Tito and Schuster are huge chances of going a lot further. Go even further: Most chance to make it order:
1. Hoppa (before latest injury) 2. Schuster (could be anything at this stage) 3. Ben T: Not as great as I thought in the two games I saw but big and fast so will keep going I reckon. 4. Alec T: Looked dominant against Bulldogs, fast and mobile. Weekes was a gun at 5/8 a season back but played fullback this year (to accomodate Schuster?? ) Hopefully will get back to there as not sure he is in best position (my thoughts only) Smoking Joe has seen more games.

and a shafting, you always forget the shafting.
I don’t forget the shafting... I have posted(several times) that I felt betrayed for a few years. However, Des Hasler has played a significant role in four premierships for the club, equal with Wombat, and one behind Bozo. One shafting v half of the clubs entire premierships. Again, if you were to make such a claim in the presence of people who have actually bled for the club, I dare say that the “Manly men” who you refer to would toss you a gold coin and point Towards the nearest sausage roll vendor.

Hey Ryan, just on that last paragraph. I’m not in favour of Barrett but I won’t have a dig at him either. It was a decision by our club that he ended up as our coach and when he was here, he was under-resourced. When there is a problem and you want a solution then you go right to the source of the problem and for a while there, the decisions that Penn was making were the source. I applaud Penn for bringing back a lot of Manly legends to the coaching ranks at the end of last year but the sacking of Geoff Toovey and everything that followed until late last year was a ****show.

I’ve got no problem if people want to argue respectfully in favour of Trent Barrett because as it stands, our club’s admin had a lot to answer for on many things.

Was a complete falacy mate. That image of Toovey shaking was it Zorba's hand on the way out of the presser and not looking at him in the eye makes me cringe every time I see it.

Barrett came to Manly in good faith. He went all in. His family and life were in it. He lived and died by the results. He was devastated when losing.

I've never seen a coach cry before. That's passion. The players all backed him.

End of the day though, it is what it is.

Three situations in Des, Tooves and Barrett all handled really poorly (out in the open which made things worse by Penn), BUT , 1 really good decision in bringing Des back (sorry Fluffy mate, but I have to back this one, he has the runs on the board).

I'm excited for the future, put it that way. Next season, we are going to have a core or great players, the ability to acquire new players, and more cap space to throw around. The castle is there to be built now.

Penn's stepped up and invested, but this should have occured 18 months ago.

Was a complete falacy mate. That image of Toovey shaking was it Zorba's hand on the way out of the presser and not looking at him in the eye makes me cringe every time I see it.

Barrett came to Manly in good faith. He went all in. His family and life were in it. He lived and died by the results. He was devastated when losing.

I've never seen a coach cry before. That's passion. The players all backed him.

End of the day though, it is what it is.

Three situations in Des, Tooves and Barrett all handled really poorly (out in the open which made things worse by Penn), BUT , 1 really good decision in bringing Des back (sorry Fluffy mate, but I have to back this one, he has the runs on the board).

I'm excited for the future, put it that way. Next season, we are going to have a core or great players, the ability to acquire new players, and more cap space to throw around. The castle is there to be built now.

Penn's stepped up and invested, but this should have occured 18 months ago.

The best thing Penn has done has been invisible for the first 6 weeks of this year.

Let's hope it can continue for the next 22 weeks, or so.

The best thing Penn has done has been invisible for the first 6 weeks of this year.

Let's hope it can continue for the next 22 weeks, or so.
Completely agree here mave. When Des is hoisting yet another premiership, then step in and take some kudos.

If there's a choice to be made, do it behind closed doors, and do it quickly in a way we don't look cheap.

Your question, got sidetracked. Better and more structured recruitment of top level kids in other areas. In my opinion in the Ball, props Alec T and Tyreece are impressive, hooker Birt goes really well and Weekes at fullback, Hoppa, Ben T, centre Simon Tito and Schuster are huge chances of going a lot further. Go even further: Most chance to make it order:
1. Hoppa (before latest injury) 2. Schuster (could be anything at this stage) 3. Ben T: Not as great as I thought in the two games I saw but big and fast so will keep going I reckon. 4. Alec T: Looked dominant against Bulldogs, fast and mobile. Weekes was a gun at 5/8 a season back but played fullback this year (to accomodate Schuster?? ) Hopefully will get back to there as not sure he is in best position (my thoughts only) Smoking Joe has seen more games.
Only my opinion,nothing more,but probably spot on.Maybe chuck Fotu in the second row (ala Gaucamole) as a sleeper.....always hard to gauge though,some guys kick on and some fail,one guy who intrigues me is Keegan Turner from the C.Coast,been moved around (fullback,wing,centre,lock)but dependable,could quietly hang around and surprise in a few years....Birt at hooker and Matangi at prop are others,but they are 17/18,an injury here,a couple of bad games there....

Only my opinion,nothing more,but probably spot on.Maybe chuck Fotu in the second row (ala Gaucamole) as a sleeper.....always hard to gauge though,some guys kick on and some fail,one guy who intrigues me is Keegan Turner from the C.Coast,been moved around (fullback,wing,centre,lock)but dependable,could quietly hang around and surprise in a few years....Birt at hooker and Matangi at prop are others,but they are 17/18,an injury here,a couple of bad games there....
Smokin Joe what do you think about Sam Verrills making his debut for the Rorters on the weekend? Was never a superstar in the manly junior comps but has been fast tracked into 1st grade.

Smokin Joe what do you think about Sam Verrills making his debut for the Rorters on the weekend? Was never a superstar in the manly junior comps but has been fast tracked into 1st grade.
Guy had ability but guess it just depends on who wants him more.If the roosters weren't so interested I am sure he would have continued along in our junior system,but to be honest I did not think he was going to be playing first grade this year.I was surprised when he was initially named as a development player and then moved up into their 30 man squad.Might also show that having so much invested in your top 20 players means you have to rely on kids when injuries strike,they almost got run down by the storm after the kids had to play long minutes...

'I just needed change': why Garrick had to quit the Dragons
By Adam Pengilly - SMH
August 12, 2019

He now lives in the north, but has heard the cries from the south. They're coming from Dragons fans. They reckon Paul McGregor has spun through so many wingers this year he might as well have been operating a Lazy Susan.

And then there's a kid from Gerringong who couldn't crack it at the Red V and is now a Des Hasler diamond.

Reuben Garrick doesn't hold many grudges, and definitely not against the Dragons. He needed opportunity and needed change. He thought he wasn't going to get that at the only club he had known, which only offered him a small contract for 2019.

He left it on the table and left for Manly. St George Illawarra fans are moaning about the one that got away, a buy-of-the-year contender even the most ardent rugby league fans would have struggled to recognise at the start of the season.

Story continues at link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...-had-to-quit-the-dragons-20190812-p52gcu.html

"I knew I had a good preseason"
I could never understand how important a full preseason was to a player and a team. But, it certainly shows how critical it is to have injury free players at that time of the season and to have the opportunity to gel into a unit. Seems to have to happen before Round 1 so you can accommodate injuries, suspensions and poor ref decisions.

'I just needed change': why Garrick had to quit the Dragons
By Adam Pengilly - SMH
August 12, 2019

He now lives in the north, but has heard the cries from the south. They're coming from Dragons fans. They reckon Paul McGregor has spun through so many wingers this year he might as well have been operating a Lazy Susan.

And then there's a kid from Gerringong who couldn't crack it at the Red V and is now a Des Hasler diamond.

Reuben Garrick doesn't hold many grudges, and definitely not against the Dragons. He needed opportunity and needed change. He thought he wasn't going to get that at the only club he had known, which only offered him a small contract for 2019.

He left it on the table and left for Manly. St George Illawarra fans are moaning about the one that got away, a buy-of-the-year contender even the most ardent rugby league fans would have struggled to recognise at the start of the season.

Story continues at link: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...-had-to-quit-the-dragons-20190812-p52gcu.html

When Garrick rocked up at the Sea Eagles and the old Canterbury coach Hasler walked through the door a multi-year deal the winger was negotiating with Manly was pulled from the table. Hasler said he could have just one season to prove himself.

- I bet that was a surprise. There's probably quite a few 'established' players from various clubs that need the same treatment.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2