Return to the Howard days

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Good news for some on here :)
Abbott has shown his colours with a leadership tilt and that was always going to happen with his ambition and bullying tactics. Yes, I'm not a fan. If he takes the reins it will only mean a huge leaning to the right again by the Libs, a philosophy that was soundly rejected at the last election. Still, that doesn't mean that the Australian mood won't swing back there. Despite his faults I would rather Turnbull, but that is politics and he hasn't looked good for some time. Maybe Joe can give Tony a run for his money.

Hockey isn't silly enough to try and lead a sinking ship.

He'll wait till he can see they are capable of presenting a credible alternative Gov't, whenever that may be.

Abbot as leader would have to rival amongst the worst opposition leaders this country has ever seen.  He'd make byso's criticisms of Latham pale into oblivion.  The only positive I can see is if he does become leader and flukes an election win, he'll have likely made a promise of funds to Brookvale in the lead-up.

Matabele link said:
The only positive I can see is if he does become leader and flukes an election win, he'll have likely made a promise of funds to Brookvale in the lead-up.

I was thinking the same thing. I am sure with his diplomatic skills he can get the ear of government and deliver on his promise from opposition. :)

guys look at it this way
if abbott was pm
we would get the sort of money for brookvale the saints got for Kogarah :)

I would rather turnbull over abbott and hockey. Hell, if abbot goes for opposition leader i will vote for Gillard at the next election.

My goodness, the Libs are in total dissaray.  Steve Bradbury has a better chance of being PM.

Tony Abbott has won the Liberal leadership by one vote.

Julie Bishop will remain as deputy leader.

Opposition Whip Alex Somlyay said Mr Abbott won the vote 42 to 41 from Malcolm Turnbull.

Joe Hockey was eliminated in the first round of voting.

I expected abbott to get in to oppose the ets. But hockey will lead in the coming election.

go abbott
I so wish Uncle pete was still in politics
He was the best prime minster we never had :(

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182082.msg246651#msg246651 date=1259622219]
Does Hockey stand for anything?
  But how would he choose between Maccas and Hungrys?  Likely he'd starve whilst making his deliberations.

Hamburgers
[/quote]

The Libs will be able to hold their post election party room meeting in the same telephone box as the bears fan club with the mad monk as leader. 

The guy has a bunch of fringe views that are at odds with most people in the country. 

Abbott is going to be a complete carve-up for the ALP.  It's almost unthinkable that he's been nominated, and surely the whips are already doing the numbers on how to oust him.  The only problem being that Hockey has damaged himself in the whole saga by being such a vascilator - he makes Beazley look like a skinny rake of iron with a spine to boot. 

Tony Abbott....LOL. Would anyone here seriously vote for this guy as our PM. Even dyed in the wool coalition voters would have to be shuddering at the thought of him leading the party to the next election. It'll be a bloodbath.

I will be watching with interest how the Mad Monk goes.

He had to be there to oppose the ETS, when all that is done and dusted I expect Hockey to take over. But it will certainly be entertaining in the mean time.

He is a comediac politician, and more of a straight shooter than most, this might endear him to some people but not me.

Abbott reminds me a bit of Jeff Kennett who had a lot of respect mainly because people knew where they stood with him. The main difference was that Kennett was willing to stand up for all sections of society including the arts, where Abbott sits at the right hand of Genghis Khan wearing a Pope's hat. Parliament just got a whole lot more interesting. He will get a honeymoon period but will need to almost reinvent himself and his public presentation to lead the Libs anywhere.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8