Recruitment, good , bad and downright ugly.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We’ve certainly let some great players go over the last 5 years or more.

Obviously JWH was poached on a very big contract ( typical Rorters ) but players like Gutherson / Ramien should never have been left go.

And Shaun Lane , whilst no superstar is a very very handy back rower.

I get why we let Api go , it didn’t work but that’s not our recruitment teams fault.

It hasn’t all been bad , Koula will be a superstar, and there’s a few others coming through ( as long as they get a run ).

But overall our recruitment could only get a pass mark at best.

I would give the recruitment of potentially outstanding juniors as A+, thanks to Scott Fulton and his group. Its retaining them and picking up good experienced first graders that's below standard C-

Considering the cap is covered by the NRL there is no way he is dipping in his pocket anymore

Spot on.

Penn says he puts a million dollars INTO the club per year. What he doesn't mention, is that as the owner, how much does he actually get OUT of the club.

Pool the gate takings at Brooky (and the extra dollars for magic round & other games taken away for $$$), merchandise sales, sponsorship dollars, grants, 9+ million from the NRL grant (for the players).

Take the 25 odd million (less capital gains) away from the leagues club profit he made out.

He'd still be making money. I have no idea why, but Brooky crowds are STRONG again despite being served ****e sandwiches. Ken Arthurson recently said after the Sharks game, "if I wasn't already depressed enough".

Hate that Penn cries poor. We may not be his best investment or asset, but he has surely picked the eyes out of us.

Easy to take cheap shots and at the some time ignoring the obvious reality with Manly " s cap situation and almost 1 / 3 of the cap absorbed by 3 players and probably only a limited T P A club arrangement . Pretty sure that Lane moved on primarily for a much increased Eels offer . Manly with an apparent 300 k or so , Eels 400 k . Taking into account that Manly still had Jake , A F B , Marty and Sirro to accommodate . Siro was on about 400 k and in hindsight better to have let him go but he was playing some decent stints of good footy at the time . Gladstone incident may have had some bearing but not to definitely influence to leave [ Lane ] It was simply money . Keeping Gutho would have been appealing but probably only a matter of time before he would have been enticed away for full back money at another club even if he did stay around for a short time as a 6 . Then walker at the time seemingly a better option . All of the other player retention - recruiting references quite valid on here but for Manly followers in general , better to look forward then backwards

Spot on.

Penn says he puts a million dollars INTO the club per year. What he doesn't mention, is that as the owner, how much does he actually get OUT of the club.

Pool the gate takings at Brooky (and the extra dollars for magic round & other games taken away for $$$), merchandise sales, sponsorship dollars, grants, 9+ million from the NRL grant (for the players).

Take the 25 odd million (less capital gains) away from the leagues club profit he made out.

He'd still be making money. I have no idea why, but Brooky crowds are STRONG again despite being served ****e sandwiches. Ken Arthurson recently said after the Sharks game, "if I wasn't already depressed enough".

Hate that Penn cries poor. We may not be his best investment or asset, but he has surely picked the eyes out of us.
And then there’s magic round.
Take one home game. Spin it and turn it around. And
Abracadabra
Money in the Penn pocket!
Magic

I think last few years our recruitment has been pretty good.
There were groans and laughter here when we signed Lawton who was out with a long term injury but he proved to be an astute addition. Garrick, Harper weren't first graders when we got them (OK Harper may not be the best example, though I still think he may have another level in him). Davey was a good signing, pity he missed a year with injury. Saab and Aloiai have both shown something. Even the signing of Foz was slammed at the time and he's been one of our best.

And I'm not one of those ridiculing the signing of Tuilagi, I hear some unflattering stats about him but he is a big body who knows how to run into a hole, so he could be dynamite next year playing alongside Schu. I agree with @Bearfax who just posted that we could use a couple of tough forwards, it is probably one area we're lacking. I always hoped Boyle would become that type but sounds like we've given up on him.

Spot on.

Think that the N R L club allocation is a combined 13 mil or so and to cover the designated cap of 9 . 3 or whatever it is these days . Guess that if the Penns did not purchase the league 's club holdings , some other entity would have and with no obligation to divert at least some of the funds back to the Manly Sea Eagles operation . Mentioned before , never seem to hear much or many references to those two business types who have about 15 % equity in the club , Would not think that they would be contributing anything at the moment or probably even previously but presumably would have outlayed some decent coin to buy in , what was it 6 or so years ago ?

And then there’s magic round.
Take one home game. Spin it and turn it around. And
Abracadabra
Money in the Penn pocket!
Magic
It's absolutely disgusting that we take OUR home game away from season ticket holders to always be THE team to playing the Broncos at Suncorp! Why can't we play The Tigers or someone there for a ****ing change?

Then they take a game (or two) away to a country location (Mudgee las season) Perth etc.

Then Penn wants to take yet another home game away to the USA next season.

Can we expect a discount on the season tickets ? On the contrary, I bet the prices are going up. Jane Try Stand, in the 1970's seats where everyone walks in front of you, to watch a sub par product, and now less games. Honestly, WTF?

Spot on.

Also explains the reason why we have capped our investment in areas such as membership, and marketing as they are not interested in potential additional revenue for additional fixed cost

The club performance Perspective ...

The fact is we have not lived up to our Legendary clubs Premiership winning Benchmark of excellence since 2011 and that is a long long long time ago

The Fact is that we are falling behind the leading clubs and we have lost our way since 2011

The fact is Manly does not stand for Mediocrity but only for Magnificence
And all passionate and Proud people at Manly do not want our Legendary club to just exist .
At Manly we want to Excell

All that are involved that are responsible for the performance of our club are accountable

We passionate Manly fans are the spirit and the voice of our great club

and we should Voice our disapproval of Mediocrity and Keep the Bastards Honest !

Visual search query image

I remember something like this as well.

It will be interesting to see how Baz goes coaching Gutho and Lane next year at the eels. He was definitely involved with moving both on from Manly to the eels.
Oh to be a fly on the wall.

Both players are now a good chance of making the Australian team at the end of the year. If it happens, it will be sad to see a Manly junior make his Australian debut from another club.

That has happened only once before - Steve Knight at Wests (1972 World Cup squad), but he had just switched over from a lengthy rugby career at Manly. So not quite the same as letting a player go, that they should have retained.

Assumptions here are based on what I have seen from the club

Take the rainbow example - if it was a marketing failure then it is due to a lack of seasoned professionals / investment
Yes, I get the impression that where say the Roosters might have 8-10 (properly resourced) people in marketing, we would top out at around 4.

Pathetic, ‘smell of an oily rag’ stuff.

What is the point of controlling/owning a football team, if your strategy is not to employ the resources necessary to achieve enduring success.?

Yes, I get the impression that where say the Roosters might have 8-10 people in marketing, we would top out at around 4.

Pathetic, ‘smell of an oily rag’ stuff.

What is the point of controlling/owning a football team, if your strategy is not to employ the resources necessary to achieve enduring success.
I would suggest that there is a level of "risk" involved in further investment - they do not seem to have the appetite for that

Take membership. Our membership offering has not fundamentally changed really since it was first launched which says to me they are happy with the 13k or so members we have and are not keen to invest further to drive adoption

As I posted elsewhere, the end of the 2021 season would have been a great time for them to sell up. A season of on-field superlatives and one game away from a grand final appearance, plus a very impressive new stand and CoE at Brookvale.

I suspect Scott will only be interested in selling if significant further upgrades are made to Brookvale, boosting the sale price. We could be waiting a long time.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6