Recruitment for Next Year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I still don't get why everyone is putting Jorge in their teams. He's off contract and I doubt a high priority.

Wingers do not have to be great players. They need the finish off back line plays and score try's. Wingers are often the lowest paid in the team. I remember Stewart Davis and Steve Ronson as premiership winning Manly wingers. Jorge is a better player the both those players. He takes pressure off the forwards and can beat a player in a one on one situation.

Our Recruitment.

With all respect for @Mark from Brisbane I don't believe that Penn or Bozo are even slightly interested in 5 year plans.

I believe their only plan is now. In a moment of reflection they may admit to next year, but neither are the patient team build types.

It is also why I think this will be Matai and Snakes last year. An amicable solution will be found for both, Snake to France whilst he can still command a contract, and Matai to Warriors or medically retired.

The funds the three stars make available I believe will be spent on top draw replacements, not kids with potential.

Bozo wants success now. He has had nothing to do for the past three months than talk to every players manager in town. The deals have already been done.

Our decade of dominance team had about two locals in it - Choc and King. The Stewart's are Dragons juniors.

True, but I think you've also gotta take players like the Stewarts into account - may have come from somewhere else way back when, but have been in the Manly system since they were teenagers and have never played anywhere else. Matty Ballin is another who may have come from elsewhere but was Manly to his bootlaces; Steve Matai also.

In the current squad DCE and Buhrer are another couple of guys who have been in the Manly system since they were kids.

Interesting point about the Stewart boys and the Dragons - you usually hear that it was Gifty they didn't want, and since the brothers were a package deal, they ended up at Manly. Heard differently at an Illawarra junior sports awards gig a few years ago - that they were baulking at Brett, due to concerns about his diabetes not being well controlled at the time.

Last edited:
Wingers do not have to be great players. They need the finish off back line plays and score try's. Wingers are often the lowest paid in the team. I remember Stewart Davis and Steve Ronson as premiership winning Manly wingers. Jorge is a better player the both those players. He takes pressure off the forwards and can beat a player in a one on one situation.

My armchair assessment:

He knows how to score a try from close range and does take plenty of hit-ups.

However:

He still comes up with errors that he shouldn't - especially when leaping for the ball and catching bombs. He also seems to give up chasing players after about 30 metres if they break Manly's defensive line.

I also can't remember a try assist from him off the top of my head. If you think of Wolfman, Robertson and Tom Trbojevic recently, they seem to know when to pass, or to put in a deft kick on the inside. I still don't think Jorge has that awareness in his game.

But yes, he is decent... if not great by any stretch. I don't think we should be keeping him on reputation alone.

My armchair assessment:

He knows how to score a try from close range and does take plenty of hit-ups.

However:

He still comes up with errors that he shouldn't - especially when leaping for the ball and catching bombs. He also seems to give up chasing players after about 30 metres if they break Manly's defensive line.

I also can't remember a try assist from him off the top of my head. If you think of Wolfman, Robertson and Tom Trbojevic recently, they seem to know when to pass, or to put in a deft kick on the inside. I still don't think Jorge has that awareness in his game.

But yes, he is decent... if not great by any stretch. I don't think we should be keeping him on reputation alone.
I agree.

I agree that he can be damaging running the ball back, but Williame runs it back hard too. Finishing is greatly over rated too and even if it's not, he's not a finisher on the level of some of the flying one handed put downs we see nowadays.

I just think his defensive deficiencies take more off the table than what his attack puts back on.

Just having a conversation with my Dad who's very passionate about Manly and this was his observation in a text....... Our teams of old had passion for the jumper most of the players were locals. That will mainly cease with the departure of Lyons and Brett Stewart leaving only Tom and Jake as locals. Now it's a business and you need smart people to run it. We obviously haven't got them and are going to pay the price with mediocrity the key word in the future. We need a shake out of both board - most players and playing staff and the introduction of a smart thinker such ar Gus Gould who has single handedly turned the fortunes of Penrith around both on the field and in the Panthers Leagues Club which has gone from a sizeable loss 2014- 2015 to a sizeable profit 2015 - 2016. Manly Leagues Club is tired and offers no financial support to the Football Club whatsoever. Only smart bu siness people will save us or we will be unable to survive. SO ENDETH THE LESSON.
We did have a CEO who had this club making a profit and playing finals. But u guessed it we sacked him.

Last edited:
Our decade of dominance team had about two locals in it - Choc and King. The Stewart's are Dragons juniors.

Regardless, if Tafua is resigned for three years I'd lose the plot. I don't need three years of panicking every time a kick goes up on his side. No thanks. Give me a winger that is fast, tall and can catch.

Snake might also been done. Saying he's invaluable "when fit" is true but also he's a $600k question we probably can no longer afford to be asking.

Mate calls Brett "Jeep" always breaking down.

could someone pls fill me in why he is so hated. I heard he was dying from cancer. What did he do so bad. I am not that old so dont know wat happened back in the days. I think he has done a good job for us this year with recruitment of kapow, walker. AFB and meehan

could someone pls fill me in why he is so hated. I heard he was dying from cancer. What did he do so bad. I am not that old so dont know wat happened back in the days. I think he has done a good job for us this year with recruitment of kapow, walker. AFB and meehan
Bozo is a manly legend don't worry about that! Cancer!? That's news to me.. Where did you hear that from?

David Ronson....

Some crap comments on this thread. Stewart's done. Matai gets another year. Tafua is a good winger but good enough for another contract? Wingers in premiership teams are usually up and coming outside backs destined for other positions. We have that in turbo. Tafua is good enough for me.

I couldn't understand the talk about us going after Coote with Tom t in the side but having seen him play centre last night I get it. That's where he will be best. Walker and turbo centres. Raimen/Williams/wright/Tafua wings.

Fullback and five-eighth?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4