Recruitment for Next Year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyMatt

Reserve Grader
I was having a look at zero tackle and manly have a lot of players off contract at the end of the year.

The list is as follows:
Rhys Armstrong, Luke Burgess, Pita Godinet, Fabian Goodall, Nathan Green, Jayden Hodges, Nicholas Hynes, Isaac John, Dylan Kelly, Halauafu Lavaka, Brenton Lawrence, Blake Leary, Feleti Mateo, Hugh Pratt, Tony Satini, Josh Starling, Tom Symonds, Jorge Taufua, Siosaia Vave, Brayden Wiliame. (Copied straight from the website).

Of those players I can only see a couple of players being resigned tops and a chance on non at all.

Couple that with Lyon retiring and one or possibly both of Stewart and matai being tapped on the shoulder and we will find Manly with a mountain of cap space at the end of the year.

So who do we buy?

It's hard to tell who will be resigned before the years end but i will have a crack.

I will also consider Meehan already signed as there is too much smoke.

So that would leave.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. ???
6. ???
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Nate Myles
9. Matt Parcell
10.???
11. Marty Taupau
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Addin Fonua-Blake
15. Liam Knight
16. Willis Meehan
17. Darcy Lussick

Thats a pretty good team in my eyes if you can fill the gaps appropriately.

Very good back row and an aggressive bench which i think is what we need right now.

I left Stewart in the team as he is invaluable when fit and can be replaced by Trbojevic when he isn't. Matai on the other hand is past it IMO and is throwing the team balance out with his time on the sidelines.

Trbojevic In the centres for mine until Stewart retires. Played well there last night and is wasted on the wing.

Myles is past it in my opinion but I doubt Barrett and co. will drop him while our other front rowers are so young.

The future of this forward pack should be built around Trbojevic, Fonua-Blake, Knight and Meehan. They hold the aggression we have lost with the departure of Watmough, G. Stewart and co.

So in saying that it looks as though, if I'm anywhere close to the mark, Manly will be in the market for a; winger, back-up centre, 5/8 and prop plus a bunch of 2nd string players for depth.

The players we have been linked with are David Mead, Tariq Sims, Mitch Moses, James Tamou (Panthers are favourites), Luke Keary, Jack Bird (Not off contract but possibly unhappy), Corey Norman.

There are also some other players Manly should potentially be interested in on the off contract list such as; David Fifita, Josh Mansour, Joey Lussick, Sam Moa, Michael Chee-Kam, Manaia, Cherrington and Sauaso Sue.

Another option for 5/8 is Nicholas Hynes.

What do you guys think about the team I've come up with. Close to the mark?

Which players should be resigned?

What do you guys think about the players we are looking to recruit?

Who should we be looking to recruit?

Is Nicholas Hynes a viable option?

So many Questions!!

Last edited:
I was having a look at zero tackle and manly have a lot of players off contract at the end of the year.

The list is as follows:
Rhys Armstrong, Luke Burgess, Pita Godinet, Fabian Goodall, Nathan Green, Jayden Hodges, Nicholas Hynes, Isaac John, Dylan Kelly, Halauafu Lavaka, Brenton Lawrence, Blake Leary, Feleti Mateo, Hugh Pratt, Tony Satini, Josh Starling, Tom Symonds, Jorge Taufua, Siosaia Vave, Brayden Wiliame. (Copied straight from the website).

Of those players I can only see a couple of players being resigned tops and a chance on non at all.

Couple that with Lyon retiring and one or possibly both of Stewart and mate being tapped on the shoulder and we will find Manly with a mountain of cap space at the end of the year.

So who do we buy?

It's hard to tell who will be resigned before the years end but i will have a crack.

So that would leave.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. ???
6. ???
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Nate Myles
9. Matt Parcell
10.???
11. Marty Taupau
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Addin Fonua-Blake
15. Liam Knight
16. Willis Meehan
17. Darcy Lussick

Very good back row and an aggressive bench which i think is what we need right now.

I left Stewart in the team as he is invaluable when fit and can be replaced by Trbojevic when he isn't. Mate on the other hand is past it IMO and is throwing the team balance out with his time on the sidelines.

Trbojevic In the centres for mine until Stewart retires. Played well there last night and is wasted on the wing.

Myles is past it in my opinion but I doubt Barrett and co. will drop him while our other front rowers are so young.

The future of this forward pack should be built around Trbojevic, Fonua-Blake, Knight and Meehan. They hold the aggression we have lost with the departure of Watmough, G. Stewart and co.

So in saying that it looks as though, if I'm anywhere close to the mark, Manly will be in the market for a; winger, back-up centre, 5/8 and prop plus a bunch of 2nd string players for depth.

The players we have been linked with are David Mead, Tariq Sims, Mitch Moses, James Tamou (Panthers are favourites), Luke Keary, Jack Bird (Not off contract but possibly unhappy), Corey Norman.

There are also some other players Manly should potentially be interested in on the off contract list such as; David Fifita, Josh Mansour, Joey Lussick, Sam Moa, Michael Chee-Kam, Manaia, Cherrington and Sauaso Sue.

So many Questions!!

Looks good. Im with the same thinking as you.
Would love to have norman at 5/8 but might go with api or isac john next year if we dont sign any quality.

Sims would be a good buy for prop or that young monster from Melbourne Nelson afasolomona . A winger like mansour.

I had doubts about tom at center with defence but killed it on one leg.

The list is as follows:

Couple that with Lyon retiring and one or possibly both of Stewart and mate being tapped on the shoulder and we will find Manly with a mountain of cap space at the end of the year.

So who do we buy?

So that would leave.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. ???
6. ???
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Nate Myles
9. Matt Parcell
10.???
11. Marty Taupau
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Addin Fonua-Blake
15. Liam Knight
16. Willis Meehan
17. Darcy Lussick

I left Stewart in the team as he is invaluable when fit and can be replaced by Trbojevic when he isn't. Mate on the other hand is past it IMO and is throwing the team balance out with his time on the sidelines.

So many Questions!!
Hynes is a good player but not suited to DCE so a no to him he would make a good utility like Jack bird he is a big tall player.

Re signings-

Tafua 3 years
Godinet 2 years
Hynes 2 years
Lawrence 1 year
Leary 2 years
Vave 2 years
Willaime 2 years

Signings-

We need fast strike centre, a good solid winger that is fast, a 5/8 that suits DCE an organiser also we could use a good middle forward prop

Lussick only there because of connections.....not included for mine. Not enough strike power and still undisciplined. Leary too much like Buhrer and Brown both showed value last night.
Tamou and Sims would strengthen our side enormously.
Brett Stewart no for next year.......hurts but true.

Also need another option for last tackles. So annoying we can't put pressure on receivers and give them too much room to run the ball back.
What about a goal kicker .........the best one left for Parra......Gutherson.
Keep your eye on Ramien as a centre ......is very good.

Looks good. Im with the same thinking as you.
Would love to have norman at 5/8 but might go with api or isac john next year if we dont sign any quality.

Sims would be a good buy for prop or that young monster from Melbourne Nelson afasolomona . A winger like mansour.

I had doubts about tom at center with defence but killed it on one leg.
Heard today the slime are likely to re-sign Norman for next year on 700,000k

The list is as follows:

Couple that with Lyon retiring and one or possibly both of Stewart and matai being tapped on the shoulder and we will find Manly with a mountain of cap space at the end of the year.

So who do we buy?

So that would leave.

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Tom Trbojevic
5. ???
6. ???
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Nate Myles
9. Matt Parcell
10.???
11. Marty Taupau
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Addin Fonua-Blake
15. Liam Knight
16. Willis Meehan
17. Darcy Lussick

I left Stewart in the team as he is invaluable when fit and can be replaced by Trbojevic when he isn't. Matai on the other hand is past it IMO and is throwing the team balance out with his time on the sidelines.

So many Questions!!
Thanks for all that info @ManlyMatt very interesting.

We are now a team that will need to pay overs.

We have no rep stars to entice players and what is looking like our second season out of the top eight.

Just having a conversation with my Dad who's very passionate about Manly and this was his observation in a text....... Our teams of old had passion for the jumper most of the players were locals. That will mainly cease with the departure of Lyons and Brett Stewart leaving only Tom and Jake as locals. Now it's a business and you need smart people to run it. We obviously haven't got them and are going to pay the price with mediocrity the key word in the future. We need a shake out of both board - most players and playing staff and the introduction of a smart thinker such ar Gus Gould who has single handedly turned the fortunes of Penrith around both on the field and in the Panthers Leagues Club which has gone from a sizeable loss 2014- 2015 to a sizeable profit 2015 - 2016. Manly Leagues Club is tired and offers no financial support to the Football Club whatsoever. Only smart bu siness people will save us or we will be unable to survive. SO ENDETH THE LESSON.

Our decade of dominance team had about two locals in it - Choc and King. The Stewart's are Dragons juniors.

Regardless, if Tafua is resigned for three years I'd lose the plot. I don't need three years of panicking every time a kick goes up on his side. No thanks. Give me a winger that is fast, tall and can catch.

Snake might also been done. Saying he's invaluable "when fit" is true but also he's a $600k question we probably can no longer afford to be asking.

Just having a conversation with my Dad who's very passionate about Manly and this was his observation in a text....... Our teams of old had passion for the jumper most of the players were locals. That will mainly cease with the departure of Lyons and Brett Stewart leaving only Tom and Jake as locals. Now it's a business and you need smart people to run it. We obviously haven't got them and are going to pay the price with mediocrity the key word in the future. We need a shake out of both board - most players and playing staff and the introduction of a smart thinker such ar Gus Gould who has single handedly turned the fortunes of Penrith around both on the field and in the Panthers Leagues Club which has gone from a sizeable loss 2014- 2015 to a sizeable profit 2015 - 2016. Manly Leagues Club is tired and offers no financial support to the Football Club whatsoever. Only smart bu siness people will save us or we will be unable to survive. SO ENDETH THE LESSON.
It would only take a year to turn our fortunes around in my opinion. This is why I believe our recruitment at the end of this year is so important.

I believe that Trent Barrett, possibly even knowingly, has been hired as a rebuilding coach. This maybe hopeful but i think this year and next will focus on recruitment and the blooding of youngsters in preparation for 2018. That will be the return of Hasler.

I was speaking to an older man who frequents the pub i work at who is by no means a manly fan. He said that Manly men always return in the end and cited the departure of Bob Fulton to the Roosters. From memory The Penns and Hasler where of the same faction so i can definitely see it happening. He may even complete the rebuilding phase by bringing some of his loyal (to him) bulldogs players with him.

Like I said this maybe hopeful. But we need a bit of hope at the moment.

Our decade of dominance team had about two locals in it - Choc and King. The Stewart's are Dragons juniors.

Regardless, if Tafua is resigned for three years I'd lose the plot. I don't need three years of panicking every time a kick goes up on his side. No thanks. Give me a winger that is fast, tall and can catch.

Snake might also been done. Saying he's invaluable "when fit" is true but also he's a $600k question we probably can no longer afford to be asking.
I completely agree with the Snake comments. However I believe it may be difficult to replace both Stewart and Matai at the end of this season given the lack of quality centres off contract. We may have to keep one on for one more year.

I'd be happy to start developing a young team next year that can spend the next 5 to 10 years together. I'd like to see

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Steve Matai
5. Tom Trbojevic
6. Jackson Hastings
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Matt Parcell
10.Willis Meehan
11. Marty Taupau
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Nate myles
15. Liam Knight
16. Lewis Brown
17. Darcy Lussick

I'd be happy to start developing a young team next year that can spend the next 5 to 10 years together. I'd like to see

1. Brett Stewart
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Steve Matai
5. Tom Trbojevic
6. Jackson Hastings
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Addin Fonua-Blake
9. Matt Parcell
10.Willis Meehan
11. Marty Taupau
12. Jamie Buhrer
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Nate myles
15. Liam Knight
16. Lewis Brown
17. Darcy Lussick
Exactly develop our young guns for the future we have some of the best young forwards in the game. I'd like to see this next year, and if snake find his form he must be fullback he is everything to this team.

1.Stewart
2.Tafua
3.Walker
4.Matai
5.Trbojevic
6.Hastings/Nikorima
7.Cherry-Evans
8.Meehan
9.Parcell
10.Fonua-Blake
11.Taupau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Brown
15.Myles
16.Knight
17.Vave

If Matai and Snake are moved on-

1.Trbojevic/Nikorima
2.Tafua
3.Walker
4.Bowen/Trbojevic
5.Wright
6.Hastings/Nikorima
7.Cherry-Evans
8.Meehan
9.Parcell
10.Fonua-Blake
11.Taupau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Brown
15.Myles
16.Knight
17.Vave

Re-sign: taufua, vave, lawrence, williame and pratt. Probably let go tred, although he has done us well, i don't think we could afford him if our team was the following:

1 Trbojevic
2 Taufua
3 Walker
4 Matai (retire end of 2017)
5 any one of Williame / Ramien/ T.Wright/ M.Wright/ Parker
6 M.Moses (can goal kick, potential, need a proper five eighth to help cherry)
7 Cherry Evans (c)
8 Trbojevic (c)
9 Parcell
10 Myles
11 Buhrer
12 T.Sims (imagine a sims/cherry combination like jt/cooper)
13 Marty

14 Brown
15 Fonua Blake
16 Lawrence (retire end of 2017)
17 Lussick / Koroisau

18 Vave
19 Koroisau (would like him coming off the bench, could play like a kodi nikorima for the broncos and back up moses/cherry evans when injured)
20 Knight
21 Meehan
22 T.Wright
23 Ramien
24 H.Pratt
25 M.Wright
26 Cox
27 B.Parker
28 Bainbridge

Exactly develop our young guns for the future we have some of the best young forwards in the game. I'd like to see this next year, and if snake find his form he must be fullback he is everything to this team.

1.Stewart
2.Tafua
3.Walker
4.Matai
5.Trbojevic
6.Hastings/Nikorima
7.Cherry-Evans
8.Meehan
9.Parcell
10.Fonua-Blake
11.Taupau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Brown
15.Myles
16.Knight
17.Vave

If Matai and Snake are moved on-

1.Trbojevic/Nikorima
2.Tafua
3.Walker
4.Bowen/Trbojevic
5.Wright
6.Hastings/Nikorima
7.Cherry-Evans
8.Meehan
9.Parcell
10.Fonua-Blake
11.Taupau
12.Buhrer
13.Trbojevic

14.Brown
15.Myles
16.Knight
17.Vave

Matai and Stewart are under contract for next year. They will be very useful to have for another year to mentor some of the younger players and instill the Manly culture into the younger players.
The rest of the starting team I have picked are in there early 20's.

I still don't get why everyone is putting Jorge in their teams. He's off contract and I doubt a high priority.

I still don't get why everyone is putting Jorge in their teams. He's off contract and I doubt a high priority.

Because Manly are a better team with Jorge.
He was in the 2013 grand final team that only lost because of Shane Hayne.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4